FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hornby shark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Hornby shark Reply with quote

I've been giving one of these a bit of a working over, it's one of Hornby' best and worth spending time on. I've used the photo on the back of Eric Gent's invaluable publication, "British Railways Brakevans & Ballast Ploughs", as a prototype.

The work carried out so far:

Painting the bufferbeam grey to match the body.
Painting the ploughs in shades of rust.
Removing Hornby's electrification flashes and adding Fox ones in the new positions.
Weathered the underframe and body with Tamiya Compacts. (Invaluable!)
Adding 3 link/Instanter couplings.
Covered the yellow paint Hornby have erroneously added to the guttering with body grey.

Still to do:

Add the white squares to the body sides. (What are they for, anyway?)
Weather the roof.

Here's a pic of the early progress:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/img0025ghc.jpg/

I'll try and find a way of adding more.

Thanks

steve
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's heartening to see that even today's highly developed r-t-r models can be improved/detailed/personalised Steve, and your work has got rid of the "sameness" of the out of the box model.
I've not used the Tamiya Compacts, but the results look pretty good. Tried their "mud" pen and also the floquil weathering paint pens and quite impressed, so these may be next...always good to find new stuff for the weathering "armoury"!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: