FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Len Deighton finally hits the mark.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Len Deighton finally hits the mark. Reply with quote

The thread title is because Altgarten was named after the town which features in Deighton's book "Bomber" and gets targeted in error by a British air raid. The layout was built in 1999 and had received some damage to the scenery and OHLE while in storage over the last few years. I had been contemplating restoring the layout but finally took a lump hammer to it today! Shocked

The photo above is the last one taken of the layout before demolition started, with the close up of the station being taken after some of the OHLE masts were removed to get the camera in closer.

As much as possible of the scenery was salvaged before the really heavy work started.

It was not my intention to save the track but as the layout was being broken up so that it would fit in the chimnea it became apparent that the core of the baseboard was actually resisting my attempts to take it apart remarkably well.

Whether or not this will survive to be genesis of Altgarten MkII remains to be seen, my plans were for something a bit smaller but the new German N scale layout will carry the same name regardless of how much of the original is incorporated.

Altgarten MkI. 1999-2010. RIP Neutral

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have picked up a couple of boxfiles on a recent shopping trip to Crewe, these will form the basis of the new N gauge layout.

SWMBO is out with the sprogs so I've had a chance to use the kitchen table this morning (there's very little clear flat space in the garage at the moment) and I've concocted a plan for Altgarten MkII.

The new Altgarten will be a much busier place than the rural idyll of the previous version, while not much bigger there is a lot more crammed in and the main line trains won't look quite so out of place as they did on a country branch line. The theory is that the main line through Altgarten has been cut short by the partition of Germany (it is set in the 1970s before reunification) and all trains have to reverse in order to continue their journeys. This should give me a reason for having long distance expresses calling at the small town rather than running through without stopping.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some tweaking the trackplan has been decided on. The track has been purchased, reminding me why I so often build 'pointless' layouts, and cut to length ready for laying when I can find the soldering iron (so that wiring can be done at the same time). The trackplan as it will be built can be made out in the image below. From left to right are two main lines, a loco holding siding, the combined bay platform/goods shed and a short siding for use when shunting.

The tracks beyond the far end will be implied by a mirror under the bridge and the traverser will be in the foreground. Track for the traverser is to hand but not yet cut to length.

Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Bob. Main line trains wouldn't look out of place in a rural German terminus: Oberstdorf has a daily intercity train from Hamburg, for example, and a lot of fairly small places get trains which to British eyes would seem very 'main line' in appearance.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy.

It is always good to get first hand info from the remote places we model. Very Happy

Sorry you never got to see the original Altgarten in the flesh, maybe next time you're over in Blighty you can call round and see the new version instead, it should (famous last words) be operational by summer.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The retaining walls and the banking behind the station are now in place. The barrier across the tracks between the station and the goods shed is a temporary buttress supporting the retaining wall to the rear of the station while the filler dries.

Full report and more pictures on Blackcloud's Blog.

Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:

The barrier across the tracks between the station and the goods shed is a temporary buttress supporting the retaining wall to the rear of the station while the filler dries.

So it's not the iron curtain then? The way the original was built it could have crossed the tracks like that.

I'm glad I didn't miss this one being built while I was absent...
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korschtal wrote:
I'm glad I didn't miss this one being built while I was absent...

Hi Andy.

I'd forgotten about this thread. Embarassed

Altgarten MkII has become Sandbach (Waldshut). The same trains but moved a bit further south.

It was published in MTI issue 99 (p 247) with more available on the links below...
1. Pictures of Sandbach.
2. Construction diary day by day as it was built.
3. Video of the layout's test running session.

While on the subject, a quick plug for its debut exhibition...

Sandbach will be at the Pennine Model Railway Society's summer event at Saddleworth Textile Museum in Uppermill, Saturday & Sunday 23rd & 24th June.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: