FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Tri-ang Transcontinental trucks or bogies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Old Tri-ang Transcontinental trucks or bogies. Reply with quote

On the behest of Giles, I have put together some snaps of me putting my money-where-my-mouth is.

First off, how I managed to replace the wheel-sets.

As I postulated elsewhere, I used brass pinpoint bearing cups and modelling filler.

It was, for me,a bit of trial-and-error...I used plain cups, as I couldn't find my top-hat bearing packet.

As I posted below.

http://forum.mtimag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=9511#9511

Well, I stumped up for some AA batteries, fired up the 1 7/8 moggiepixie camera....and took some photos in some not-very-salubrious surroundings.

Above is a general view of one of Tri-ang's old cast metal 'diamond-frame'....or , as I prefer, archbar trucks... separated from it's donor, by the simple expedient of sawing [razor, not hack] through the golden rivet.

This isn't an essential practice for re-wheeling.....but it helped.

Note the filler stuffed into the ends of the open axle boxes.

Above is a shaky shot of the truck, end-on, showing how well the NMRA profile wheel-sets look..the truck itself isn't a bad representation, but seems definitely to 4mm scale, rather than HO.

These are 11 plus-a-tad mm in diameter, from my stock.

A bird's eye view, again compare with the old steamroller wheel-sets, with their variable B2B's?

Finally, end-on view, on some track.

I apologise for the focus, but the camera stuff never was my barra..

wheel-sets from

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/benno002-2?_rdc=1
steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you've used yours. Smile Whenever I've had anything with them on, especially if they have the integral sickle-shaped tension locks, they've gone in the bin!

steve
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those shots, Alastair. I think I've got some top-hat bearings somewhere, but not sure what diamerter my spare wheels are. With 5 wagons to re-wheel I'm going to need to stock up again, that's for sure.

Is it hard to remove the coupler mount? I'd guess hacksaw not razor saw?
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi.....I used a razor saw...the metal isn't that hard.....

If you use flange-less pinpoint bearings, then a long axle length can be accommodated, simply by pushing the wheelset one way, then the other to locate the pinpoints......squeezing the filler back inwards to centralise the bearings/axles.

Packs of Hornby and Bachmann wheelsets can be had quite cheaply.....I happened to use some HO wheelsets....bought in several axle sizes some time ago to re-wheel some European stock I have....don't like those NEM wheelsets, the flanges give me papercuts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: