FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferrocarril Internacional - On30 Modules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been looking at the videos of the modules at Leeds; some really nice scenes and run-pasts, plus some stock I don't recall having seen before.

It struck me you can't see anyone using a controller. Are they situated in the fiddle yards, or do you use a walk-round unit - infra-red, perhaps? How do you control traffic so as to avoid head-on meets?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a hand held radio control unit. Brian can be seen walking alongside the train in some of the clips, he was driving most of the time while I was filming but in some of the run by shots I was driving from the front of the layout at the same time as filming.

We have stood on the other side of the aisle to watch the trains ourselves at times. When running a DMU or push pull train we can stop it at random and reverse if anyone's watching. They wonder what's happening because there's nobody behind the layout!

Head on meets don't happen because we don't use DCC witchcraft. Rolling Eyes

Sounds complicated/expensive but in actual fact it's a cheap Hornby control unit with three push buttons (forward, reverse, stop) designed for TtT, we even carry a spare to shows now because we had interference from another operator at the Manchester show in May, he was driving a radio controlled bus... And our trains!

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know those TtT units - a friend used to drive his 0n30 layout with 2 of them. Only trouble is the little squeaky whistle as you move off, instead of a nice American chime whistle. Apart from that they're excellent. Don't think they're available any more though, are they?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine on Fleabay a couple of months ago. The whistle has been disabled (cut the wire to the speaker in the base unit). Very Happy

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the On30 modules of the Ferrocarril Internacional are primarily for use at exhibitions mine also act as my home layout between shows. I have not had a "big" layout for several years, the last was my HO scale American when it ran around three walls of the back bedroom in our old house, that layout was dismantled before SWMBO moved in! Still further back in time I had a very large N scale German layout in my bedroom when I still lived with my parents, but that was dismantled in the early 1980s, having never got finished because it was too big!

One advantage of the modular system is that it can be built bit by bit, and each section is capable of use as soon as it is finished. The last section of the FI's Sierra Oculta division (AKA my garage layout) is now under construction, there's a lot to do on it yet but the track is laid and trains can now be run from end to end for the full length of the L shaped layout shelf.

To celebrate the "last spike" and the first through train I have made a short video of the event.

mog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy

Mogtrains2 at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.com/
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKcRvdN719g66eDzc2iUN1w
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following their return from Bloxwich model railway show my On30 modules have been reinstated on the layout shelf. They had lost ground to the Gn15 scale APA modules lately but are now back in their rightful place, though a couple of feet shorter than before so that the APAs can be stacked at one end of the shelf.

The modules used between the two fiddleyards are, north to south, Taylors Port, Rio Paleta, Perejil and Asilo. Pictures of work in progress reinstating the line here.

Asilo is under a second shelf which also covers the south fiddleyard, allowing storage of other layouts (and a lot of junk), this means that it's a bit dark so I've added some layout lighting.

Before...

And after.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran through the sequence timetable on modules this morning, plus a couple of inspection cars for variety. The sequence took about 15 minutes but could be spread out by trying to get nearer to scale speeds and by adding a few freight extras between the timetabled trains.

On most days I'll probably just run through the sequence, a couple of trains at a time, spread out between household duties, school runs, etc., but that's the advantage of sequence operation instead of running to a scale clock or even operating in real time. However, past experience with permanently set up home layouts has shown that regular daily running is essential to prevent the build up of dust on the rails.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Bloxwich show a comment was made about the exit to the left from Rio Paleta and the cluster palm trees looking a bit out of place. Having since given this some thought I've altered the scene slightly by adding a small chapel and removing most of the trees. I reckon this is an improvement...

I was originally considering a wargaming scenery chapel but decided to scratch build instead, a simple MDF and thin ply structure rendered with filler then coated with sand before painting. The crucifix is laminated coffee stirrers and the roof is corrugated paper.

alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Bob.....the chapel is a marvellous idea, very left-field...and very well executed, especially as it is such a simple [yet detailed] structure.

Reminds me of the articles that appeared decades ago by ..I believe, Iain Rice, on his obsession with 'tin tabernacles?'

Only, more appropriate?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fourth building has been added to Rio Paleta, so the town has doubled in size over the Jubilee break!

The tin shack across the line from the new church has been built to fill what was otherwise an empty corner following removal of the palm trees and other greenery.

The scene also allows display of a road vehicle or two, which is nice because I've got too many to fit on Asilo all at once.

Elsewhere on the module I have rusted the ironwork of the underbridge and water tank, which I've been meaning to do for a while, and removed a lot of vegetation. The darker patches are fresh sand and will eventually dry to match the rest.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more changes at Rio Paleta. With the well having dried up and the water tower fallen into disuse the steam trains no longer have reason to stop here and the new buildings on the other side of the arroyo mean that the railcar service has taken to stopping on request at the level crossing next to the church. As a result of this the old station has been signed over to the MoW crew who have laid a short run off track for their inspection trolley.

The faded "RP" lettering on the station was its telegraph call sign.

Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you still got any pics of Rio Paleta as it was when built, Bob..? It would make a nice "before & after" contrast for anyone who may not have seen the module as it was. Hard to imagine now that it was originally intended for OO/HO... Shocked Wink
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan wrote:
Have you still got any pics of Rio Paleta as it was when built, Bob..? It would make a nice "before & after" contrast for anyone who may not have seen the module as it was.

This is how the module first appeared, at the Cheshire Railway Modellers show in January 2009, taken from the other side of the bridge over the River Palette to the one now presented as the front but I'm sure viewers can work out what is where.

During conversion... The Rio Paleta here still has water in it.

Still a lot of greenery, but the arroyo has run dry.

As it appeared at Bloxwich show (26th May '12)

And how it looks now...

Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks funny now in the first picture - somehow the bridge looks better proportioned for the larger scale! Completely burying the track in the ballast changes the look a lot, too. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: