FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferrocarril Internacional - On30 Modules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frog Rock is not the outcrop next to the station, it's slightly further down the valley... And far too big to fit on the module anyway.

Check the video links I've posted in Andy's original thread. Wink

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
Frog Rock is not the outcrop next to the station, it's slightly further down the valley...

Yes, I realised that, but just thought that while things are being moved about a teeny bit that making the rock next to the station the 'frog rock' would help explain the name, and make an interesting talking point too.... although if there was a label stating that the bog is a "longdrop type" that might create a talking point as well.... Laughing Razz Wink
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a range of pongs for modellers, called 'Olefatory Airs'.....one of those might have been useful for the Longdrop as well?
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine who grew up in Romania told me that when he was a toddler he fell into the families (fortunately freshly built) Long Drop: the family spent the afternoon searching for him, and only found him when Uncle was caught short and heard a voice coming out of the hole...

The toddler is now a strapping 19 year old social worker in Germany, so it didn't do him any harm...
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think not Alastair. While the punters at shows have the option to move away the layout operators would be subject to the effects all day. Shocked

Jordan, I was going to print a few photos, plus a brief history of the station, to explain the name. Much as the rock itself is an interesting feature it is simply too big. Considerably higher than the rock next to the line and it also appears to be a sheer drop almost down to road level which is some distance below that of the railway at this point.

If I was building this as part of a large (wide as well as long) layout the rock would be included but the module needs to fit on my layout shelf as well as on the tables at shows.

My Gn15 APA modules are stacked at the end of the shelf at the moment, but they're going to Telford on the 15th so I'll re-arrange the On30 modules to fit Frog Rock in while the boxes are down. The APAs will then stack on the secondary shelf above Asilo and the fiddleyard, which will be right at the south end of the layout shelf, allowing Frog Rock to be inserted between Perejil and Asilo.

There's some similarity between Perejil and Frog Rock, with the small station and mountainside location, so I am considering redesigning Perejil slightly with some mine buildings to replace the station and water tank. I'll then use the waiting shelter from Perejil (which I like) to replace the one at Taylors Port (which I don't).

Korschtal wrote:
A friend of mine who grew up in Romania told me that when he was a toddler he fell into the families (fortunately freshly built) Long Drop

Andy, a similar thing happened to me when my father was digging mains drainage to replace the cess tank. I fell head first down an inspection hole and caught the back of my head on one of the steel steps, cutting it badly and requiring stitches. I was about five at the time but still remember it clearly (50 years on!).

What is it with kids and places they shouldn't be?

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, and keeping to the theme, when I was a toddler, my parents lived in a hiring near Risley, Lancashire...Dad was a civilian naval stores officer there.

We lived in a flat in a farmhouse called 'Turf and Feathers'....located right next to quite a large sewage farm [water treatment works, etc]..

One day I went missing...a full-scale search was instigated, Police, Navy, Army,etc.

I was found up to my chin in a small settling tank...had been there all day.

It's one of the only events where I can recall my Dad....since he stood me in our bath and thoroughly hosed me off!

'Turf and Feathers farm is now under the M6!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for glue to dry on the ballast so my attentions have moved away from the track for a while.

This may be the "Land Of The Long White Cloud" but I would hasten to point out my username! Laughing

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a warm sunny day in Cheshire at the moment, so the module is sat on top of the dustbins, hopefully drying the glue better than it was doing in the garage.

Unable to do any further work on the scenery until the glue has dried, I've made a start on the buildings instead. The basic construction, as usual for me, is solid blocks which will have the timber and corrugated iron cladding added. I've glued a thick card sub-roof and gable ends in place on the main building because I'm too idle/inept to cut the wood to fit the pitch of the roof.

The comparison photos reveal how On30 does not look vaguely like Cape Gauge... Nothing I can do about that, sorry, but it is not so obvious when looking at the module sideways on.

The photos also reveal that I need to cut away more of the rock behind the station to enlarge the overhang and that I need to build up the hillside on the other side of the line because it is far too low at present.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overhang has now been enlarged, as has the rock face on the opposite side of the line.

I'm still not happy with the colouring though, it will need some more dry brushing to get it right but the ominous storm clouds can be used to explain why it's not an exact match. Not only is the ambient lighting darker but the scenery is also wet!

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly waiting for glue to dry today, after adding some grass this morning, but I have made a start on cladding the buildings. The toilet is now in corrugated paper, just needs painting to finish, and three walls of the old PW hut have received coffee stirrer planks (the roof is just temporary to see how it looks).

I'm going to take the Gn15 APAs off the layout shelf early next week so that I can split the line of On30 modules by moving Asilo and the south fiddleyard along to make room for Frog Rock to be inserted between Perejil and Asilo for test running. Hopefully the "wet" stages of the scenic work will be all complete by then so the new module can stay in the line until the Ferrocarril Internacional is next at a show.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The view from the rock now shows that the building is firmly rooted to the layout (or will be when the glue dries).

I've had the house to myself this afternoon so made the most of the peace and quiet to do some signwriting.

And this is the picture that started it all off, but scaled down to 1:48.

(http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_robinson_nz/6291190940/)

Roger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Bob. Been following this and i must say it's very inspiring work

Cheers
Roger

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roger, glad you like it. Very Happy

Frog Rock has been added to the modular layout in my garage this morning, and is also available for use at exhibitions where the Ferrocarril Internacional is invited.

Click here for short Youtube video.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally managed to tidy up the garage (or just move stuff around) enough to get the whole layout operational. Most of the work involved removing tools, debris and spare trains which had been "stored" in the fiddleyards. Having got the f/y content down to three trains each I decided to play trains for a bit.

After all, that's what I built the modules for! Very Happy

Youtube link

Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thoroughly enjoyed watching your video, Bob; the modules connected together convey the impression of a narrow gauge line somewhere in South America superbly, like looking through a photographic trip along the line.
I can see why this is popular at shows.
Regards,
Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: