FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferrocarril Internacional - On30 Modules
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Ferrocarril Internacional - On30 Modules Reply with quote

We like to think of the CRM modules as a series of microlayouts sharing a pair of fiddleyards but I've not posted this in my regular Pick And Mix Microlayouts thread because the modules collectively are quite a large layout by most people's standards... Huge by mine.

Since I've sold the FCPyF I will be using my On30 modules as a home layout when they're not out and about at shows.

One of the Cheshire Railway Modellers members has a pair of On30 fiddleyards which are used when the "Ferrocarril Internacional" is at exhibitions but using my modules at home means I will need fiddleyards of my own.

I currently have a three track traverser for one end of the layout and use the non-scenic fiddleyard from CRM's OO modules on the other but this is not the most suitable of arrangements, hence the plan for a second traverser fiddleyard as shown below.

There's room to spare on the shelf so the new fiddleyard will have an integral short scenic section. My traversers will be almost exclusively for home use though because they will only hold a two coach train, I don't mind running shorter trains but longer consists look better at exhibitions.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work is progressing well in the garage, both fiddleyards are now functional so I can run trains on the modules between them. I have also been working on another Bachmann 260 for the line. This is one of the Moonlight Express models as seen on Ebay for a fraction of the original Hawthorne Village collectors' prices, this example actually came in at less than 23, including postage!

A partial repaint results in the Blackcloud Railways bandit style livery, finished off by stick on numbers from an artists' supply shop. The intention is to keep this one a bit cleaner than my other Moonlight Express...

... This loco still carries the original livery, under all the muck. Smile

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
mog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Very Happy
I sold my on30 stuff a while back.. I had one of these moguls in 'Bumblebee' the plan was always to repaint it.. they are great models aren't they? And, as you say, you can pick them up for a reasonable price.. although i think you got a real bargain there!

Mogtrains2 at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.com/
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKcRvdN719g66eDzc2iUN1w
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mog wrote:
... i think you got a real bargain there!

Still more of them going at the same price! Cool

Ebay link

mog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nooooooooooooo!!! Shocked

Mogtrains2 at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.com/
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKcRvdN719g66eDzc2iUN1w
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, somebody has bought that one since I posted the link. The vendor has repeatedly offered these at the same buy it now price, and all listed as postcards for some strange reason, so it will be worthwhile searching all categories for Hawthorne Village if anyone else is after a Bachmann mogul at a knock down price.
Wink

Incidentally, my avatar is also a Bachy mogul, the first one I bought, and is in Bumble Bee colours which look as at home in my Latin American Marxist paradise as they do in the Rocky Mountains.

alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HAWTHORNE-VILLAGE-LOCOMOTIVE-TENDER-/110671694818?pt=UK_Collectables_Postcards_MJ&hash=item19c48c0be2#ht_500wt_1156

gettabidnow?

I bought two of them...a couple pounds different in price, but the seller is very quick to respond.[found some spare dosh....then subsequently found some more....amazing what you can find when you turn the heating off..?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Back to the city... Reply with quote

Introducing Ciudad Grande.

What, CIU Dad, grand? Laughing

No, I've not been a Clubs and Institutes Union member for a long time, well before I was a dad, before I even moved to Cheshire in fact!

Ciudad Grande translates as Big City. This is my second attempt at modelling an urban area in a very small scene. The first was City Cube, an abortive attempt to model part of Manchester in a cubic foot. Ciudad Grande is even smaller, by about two inches in each direction, and O scale instead of OO which compounds the small size still further.

The train can be seen briefly as it passes over the alley on an elevated section of the Ferrocarril Internacional through a run down area of the city, certainly not one you'd want to find yourself in after dark.

The photos below have been taken during the module's early construction stage, hence the b/w vignette treatment to hide the rough bits. I don't think that it'll get used for OO but the option is there because industrial buildings come in different sizes. The front right building is actually one of Tony Boon's self adhesive OO warehouse prints but this has very large windows and I think it will pass for 1:48 (providing nobody inspects it too closely).
On30 - - or OO -

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was still uncertain whether this idea would work or not, similar doubts were instrumental in the demise of City Cube and its successor Barraca Phoenix until I took the photo below...

Having lined the module up with Taylors Port and put the scene dividers in place I am now convinced that Ciudad Grande will work as a micro module and can be used as a filler if there's an odd 18 to 24 inches of bare table left when the Ferrocarril Internacional is assembled at shows (the layout is different virtually every time it goes out).

The scene dividers actually add to the module by becoming like further buildings in the alley between the viewer and the bridge.

It's nowhere near finished yet but should be available for the Middleton Railway's model railway show next month, should the need arise.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylors Port, the corner module which appears alongside Ciudad Grande in the previous post, has had some work done on it.

It is quite amazing what a difference some filler and a bit of hanging basket liner can make.

Click here for a video tour of the module.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not a typo. It's a former coach now used as a caboose. Smile

Immediately after the WWII the Ferrocarril Consolidado Pampa y Fernandez (since absorbed into the Ferrocarril Internacional) found itself facing an unprecedented boom in freight traffic. Motive power was quickly transferred from passenger duties to handle the extra trains but there was an acute shortage of cabooses.

The FCPyF still had a lot of British built four wheeled coaches which were rotting away in sidings and converted several of these to alleviate to shortage. Internally the coaches were gutted then fitted with a brake stand, conductor's desk, pigeon holes for small parcels and a lockable cage for mailbags. Externally the doors to one compartment were sealed shut, with handles and steps removed. The windows were boarded over save for the remaining door and one window on each side.

One of these conversions has survived and is still in service on the Sierra Oculta division of the Ferrocarril Internacional.

This has been in my box of things to do for some time. It is, of course, a Peco O16.5 kit built coach but has received the external modifications described in the "history" above.

Still awaiting glazing, then the roof will be attached, and couplings (a trip to Haslington Models required for some Kadee 5s).

In a wider view (click here) the two new modules, Taylors Port and Ciudad Grande, were included in the layout for the first time this afternoon. I've not attached the south end fiddleyard yet though because another layout is currently occupying that end of the shelf.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the peeling paint look, Bob, but can't help wishing the closed windows were filled in from outside, Would have made more of a statement (they could always be filled with thin planks to make the point it's a later addition).
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
... can't help wishing the closed windows were filled in from outside... (they could always be filled with thin planks to make the point it's a later addition).

I did originally try horizontal planks across the windows using coffee stirrers, but they looked too thick.

Following Giles's advice though I have made some alterations. it would appear that the FCPyF used cheap plywood to patch the windows. This has warped with age and is probably letting the weather in quite badly. I reckon the crews are probably not too happy when they find they have the converted coach allocated to their train.

Actually it's filler, smoothed into the window openings. I didn't try too hard when it came to getting the patches flat though, I think the uneven appearance adds to the general decrepitude of the vehicle.

Still awaiting couplers, if I can get them fitted by next weekend the converted coach will be in use at the Middleton Railway's model exhibition.

www.middletonrailway.org.uk
(From the home page select timetable, then events.)

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I didn't mean to sound bossy - but I do think it now looks more like an old coach that's had a bit more life sqeezed out of it by a penny-pinching management!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Bob, I didn't mean to sound bossy -

Not at all. Constructive criticism is one of the main benefits of interaction on the web. I think the coach looks a lot better now, thanks to your advice.

giles b wrote:
- but I do think it now looks more like an old coach that's had a bit more life sqeezed out of it by a penny-pinching management!

As the Sierra Oculta division of the Ferrocarril Internacional is a subsidiary of Blackcloud Railways, I would like to say...

'Ere. Who you callin' penny-pinching? Economic if you don't mind. Laughing

Talking about economic. I rearranged the modules this morning and noticed that the shelf, which is made out of material salvaged from the old kitchen units, has sagged at the join between the first and second boards. Shocked

The layout will be taken down ready to go to Leeds by the end of the week though, so I'll add some extra support then. In the meantime the trains are not running because I'm working on the sixth (and last) module to fill the shelf.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: