FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferrocarril Internacional - On30 Modules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just completed (apart from the loose grass on top of the hill) the groundwork around Perejil's south tunnel.

Earlier this morning I watched some videos of Perejil, made before the alterations, and was having second thoughts about the conversion but it's growing on me now and I reckon I'm going to like Empalmes Perejil when it's finished. Very Happy

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice! I really like the the rock colouring and shading.

[I found something similar at the back of my fridge yesterday...!]
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An amazing transformation on the wall of the south cutting. What did you do to it? Perhaps scribed out the boulders with a sharp point or chisel? What was the surface like before you started? Wish I could do rocks like that. Hats off Exclamation
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, I have to say I'm quite pleased myself with the way Perejil is turning out.

The starting surface was roughly sawn expanded polystyrene (loft insulation) block. The rough surface was to get the filler to adhere better and done by drawing a saw blade sideways across it. Messy, vacuum cleaner to hand at all times! The surface was sealed using a paint and PVA mix to stop further flaking.

The more textured rocks are bark, this was collected from the ground around a recently trimmed large yucca outside the venue for Telford narrow gauge show. Other types of bark often have a similar texture.

The bark is attached by coating the back of it with filler and pressing into place, Some of the filler will squidge out, this should be smoothed over with a wet paintbrush.

The area lower down had less clearance so I applied the filler directly to the polystyrene then pressed a few small pieces of the bark in. The rest of the filler was textured by dabbing with the end of a wet paintbrush.

When everything had set the bark was painted with diluted filler to smooth out some of the larger holes and again dabbed with the end of a wet paintbrush. After this had dried the all rocks on the module, old and new, were painted with an off white domestic emulsion to blend in the areas which had been altered. finally everything was weathered with black poster paint, applied fairly well diluted, and sprayed with water so the paint would run into crevasses and leave exposed areas paler.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the tutorial - most effective.
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:

I found something similar at the back of my fridge yesterday...!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Very effective rocks, Bob! Sometimes you can see model rocks and think "ah, cork bark", but not in this case. Shocked
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Bob......the mention of 'cork bark' took me back half a century!

My very first efforts at 'proper railway modelling' were inspired by Rev.P Heath's narrow gauge shelf layout....and actually got me into severe purdour, as I have related before.

My cork bark got re-cycled many times....I hadn't painted it as such, preferring to model rockery of a different colour....... but I still have a few larger pieces left in my modelling box, after all these years...and several different layouts!

For a large swinging module I once built, I used home-made 'rock moulds'...basically, moulds made of tinfoil ,[re-cycled Land-Rovers?]....with large lumps of coal as masters.....using the kids sand-pit as mould support [to stop them folding up]...I would pour in runny plaster stuff..polystopper or some-such....and lay in a piece of open-weave cloth as a backing support.

Once set, these were stuck to the polystyrene backing much as you have done, Bob....

Got one interesting rock mould, as I failed to spot a lump of coal with a fossil in it!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special Operating Notice. Effective July 23 2012.

Engineers, firemen and conductors of steam operated trains and railcars are advised that watering facilities have been reinstated at Perejil.

The supply is from a mountain stream above the station so the tank is top-fed with two pipes below the tank, one feeding the plug and an overflow pipe to carry excess water when the tank is full.

The plug has been relocated close to the north tunnel, so it is ideally sited for northbound (uphill) trains which are more likely to take water at Perejil.

Access to the tank is temporarily via a gangplank from the cliff top but this will be replaced as soon as management can source some suitable ladders.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was contemplating building a replacement for Asilo, the first module I made in On30 scale, but this morning while looking at the bare baseboard it dawned on me that I could build the new module as a mirror image of Asilo and use the two together as a passing loop.

The turnout on the original will need replacing, because it is a dummy with the siding never having been intended for use, but if I build the new module first I will be able to slot it into the layout in Asilo's position (the two baseboards are the same length) and will still be able to run trains while the alterations are made to Asilo.

If the two modules are joined as a single scene it gives me a 28in long loop, too short for a Bachmann 260 and two coaches (as used on the mail train) but if I use the standard CRM link sections and treat the two modules as separate scenes the loop can be extended by four inches, which makes it possible to fit the train in.

I am planning to make the new module as a shanty town on both sides of the line, this should allow plenty of scope for "interesting" scenery... Dirt and decay. Plus of course my favourite building materials, concrete blocks and corrugated iron.

The question then arises... Will it fit on the shelf?

No.

I'll have to take either Rio Paleta or Frog Rock out of the layout if I want to use Asilo as a passing loop.

Alternatively, and in the long term, I'd rather extend the south end of the layout, which would entail another corner module allowing the south fiddleyard to be relocated on a peninsula at right angles to the shelf.

alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi..looks like a good idea?

you could always 'spring' the turnouts against trailing moves, so that...at exhibitions, you need not worry about switching,etc?

What about an India-style street market, with the rails picking their way down the middle?

Whatever you do, it should represent a thorough health & safety nightmare!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about spring points Alastair. I'd prefer trains to use the platform road unless they are crossing with one in the opposite direction, in which case the superior* train will take the platform and the inferior train will let its passengers alight to ground level.

The timetable shows train numbers, lower numbers having priority.

giles b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
If the two modules are joined as a single scene it gives me a 28in long loop, too short for a Bachmann 260 and two coaches (as used on the mail train) but if I use the standard CRM link sections and treat the two modules as separate scenes the loop can be extended by four inches, which makes it possible to fit the train in.

The two modules would look much better as a single scene. I think.

It shouldn't matter if the Mail doesn't fit in the shorter loop (without the joining section). The opposing train just needs to be shorter than the loop and take the nearer side, as the Mail can then pass through on the platform track. If it is scheduled to stop then it can - fouling the points - and leaves before the other train. Or it merely runs through while the "inferior" train waits in the hole.

You might have more of a problem passing a freight and another train, as the freight would presumably be the one to take the loop track. If it fouled the points to its rear the other train would need to stop in the loop, before the freight inched forwards to clear the turnout behind the caboose, allowing the train at the platform to leave.

Incidentally, what is the length of the 2-6-0 + 2 coaches?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Incidentally, what is the length of the 2-6-0 + 2 coaches?

The tracks on my fiddleyard traversers are 78cm (about 31 inches) long, they were made to measure for the 260 and two coaches and set the limit for train length when the modules are used at home. The freights in the pictures both have my home made four wheeled cabooses on the ends, if I use a Bachmann caboose with two Bachmann boxcars the 260's cowcatcher overhangs the end of the traverser making it difficult to line up, so a freight with a Bachmann loco, two cars and caboose consist is slightly longer than the two coach train.

At shows we use Brian (Mozzer) Mosby's fiddleyards which will take a loco and three coaches, so the loop is probably only going to get used at home.

giles b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comparative train lengths, Bob - I couldn't have asked for more. Just what I needed to plan my own traverser.

As my 2-6-0 freight loco is about an inch shorter than the Bachmann one and several freight cars are shorter, too, it looks like I'll get a long enough train onto a three foot traverser.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, too...love the colour of the coaches![how did you achieve it again?}

Of course, by removing he cow-catcher pilots of he 2-6-0, and replacing with a footboard [switcher] pilot, that shortens the loco by a small amount....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: