FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferrocarril Internacional - On30 Modules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Blackcloud Railways wrote:
If the two modules are joined as a single scene it gives me a 28in long loop, too short for a Bachmann 260 and two coaches (as used on the mail train) but if I use the standard CRM link sections and treat the two modules as separate scenes the loop can be extended by four inches, which makes it possible to fit the train in.

...The two modules would look much better as a single scene. I think.

Would a four inch extension module be impossible for exhibitions, so you get the full length loop?

Or possibly make a siding off one end of the loop for longer trains to reverse into so the 'main line' is clear?

Just a thought as I avoid working on the morning translation project...
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korschtal wrote:
Would a four inch extension module be impossible for exhibitions, so you get the full length loop?

That's a good idea, with the layout using the CRM system of separate scenes I'd need two intermediate visual breaks if the loop was stretched over three boards... But if I made two south ends to the loop, one allowing two coach trains at home and the other allowing three coach trains at shows, it would be easier. Very Happy

1. Original station plus shanty town, two coach trains.
2. As above, with additional centre board, three coach trains.
3. Original station plus longer shanty town section, three coach trains.

While the grey matter is stirred into action...

Using third radius set track for the inner curve and flextrack for the outer, extending the loop around the corner to join the fiddleyard directly. This would assume that a peninsula is to be provided so that the fiddleyard can be relocated at 90 degrees to the layout shelf, allowing the existing modules to remain in situ.

All good stuff, but I'll build the original extension first because the baseboard is already made and the track (salvaged sections from dismantled layouts) has been cleaned and straightened ready for use. The shanty town buildings will be left loose so they can be used on alternative baseboards if/when they get built.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work has started in earnest on a new slum area module, Asilo Sur, yesterday. As the layout is modular this will not mean the other ideas can't be built as well. Just that I'm going ahead with the original plan first. I think it's called having your cake and eating it.

The track has been pinned down, wired, test run and ballasted... OK, buried in mud ready for adding grass once the filler has set hard. The road is in place with an additional track crossing it where a spur has been lifted. This will be the only evidence of the spur, the rest of the former trackbed will have been built on by the lineside shanties.

I know it looks a mess at present but it's pretty much what Asilo looked like at this stage.

I wonder if now would be a good time to approach the domestic planning authority for permission to extend the layout shelf at the south end?

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been browsing Shorpy... Never a good idea if you want to get anything done, it's as bad as Youtube. Several hours can pass before you remember what you were looking for in the first place.

Anyway, while there I found this family home. Just must have one for Asilo Sur. Coffee stirrers of course!

Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that they bothered to build it on the chassis, you'd think that if they had the skill to make the house, they would be able to make a foundation: today, that would be a useful way of getting around planning regulations, but those didn't exist back then.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shanty town is gradually taking over the open space beside the line at Asilo Sur.

The water crane is obviously what attracted the the inhabitants to this spot, not many places in town have such an abundant supply on tap, but it's hardly what you'd call drinking water.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asilo Sur was abandoned, the layout is big enough anyway. Wink

Anyway, on with bringing the thread up to date. The modules went to Huddersfield in January for the Pennine MRS exhibition. Since then they've been stood on end awaiting reassembly. Never let it be said that life is hurried in Sierra Oculta! A junk clearing session has resulted in the layout shelf being available at last, so I've dropped the modules into place pronto before the space fills up again.

The order before January was (N to S) Taylors Port, Rio Paleta, Perejil, Frog Rock and Asilo. Taylors Port and Asilo need to retain the same positions, the former being the corner board and the latter fitting under the shelf which is used to store stuff above of the layout. However, by way of a change the line up is now Taylors Port, Frog Rock, Perejil, Rio Paleta and Asilo. That should confuse any tourists using old guide books and timetables!

North end fiddleyard, Taylors Port and Frog Rock.

Looking south from Frog Rock. Perejil in the foreground then Rio Paleta, Asilo and south fiddleyard.

Looking north from Asilo.

The modules now need wiring up before the link sections are put in place, feed points being at both fiddleyards and one of the central modules rather than the system used at shows where a jumper lead connects each module in turn. That should keep me occupied for the next couple of days, then I can start playing trains on the layout again.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit - just noticed that this is posted under the On30 thread, it's actually Gn15. I'll post any further updates in my pick and mix thread so as to keep this thread for the FI. Embarassed

Last edited by Blackcloud Railways on Sat May 04, 2013 6:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:

The point rodding is new, the original was operated by prodding the blades with a finger....

... also known as Digital Control.... Very Happy Razz Cool
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic...

After another tidying up session in the garage I've finally managed to get the the Sierra Oculta division cleared of debris from end to end and the first train for just over three months was run this afternoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zylJz8ob-5s

giles b

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No service for threee months due to "engineering reasons (tracks covered in debris and no suitable crane to move it) Is the FI being run by a British TOC by any chance? Laughing

Anyhow, good to see a train running again, at last.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No chance of foreign intervention in Sierra Oculta... In fact the country has just closed its borders and the Ferrocarril Internacional has reverted to being the Ferrocarril Consolidado Pampa y Fernandez (originally the Pampas and Fernandez Consolidated Railway, a British/American consortium which was nationalised when the Partido de la Liberación Marxista came to power in the 1950s).

In real life one of the module owners has pulled out, leaving just Tony (Narrowman) and I active with the FI at present. The modules have been to most of the local shows I regularly exhibit at, as well as travelling further afield on a few occasiona, so I don't think they'll be on the road again for a while.

Full story on my blog.
http://blackcloudrail.webs.com/apps/blog/show/26159118-the-return-of-the-fcpyf

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Closure Notice Reply with quote

All passenger and freight services have been withdrawn indefinitely on the Ferrocarril Consolidado Pampa y Fernandez as a result of a change of government in Sierra Oculta.

Alternative bus services have not been provided in lieu of trains because the management suspect that road transport may prove too popular and mean that there are no passengers left for the trains when the line eventually reopens. Laughing

The last train can be seen on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GuNRBq0s5M

The inter module links have now been removed and the wiring disconnected pending moving the layout. Of course, being modular it can easily be reassembled at its new home.

giles b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the layout move, Bob. Are you going too, or just the layout itself going to a new home?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FCPyF has reopened following complaints from the locals about the extended withdrawal of services. The railway's management has reinstated a single round trip by the Goose railcar to allay the complaints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbB3atzvn0E

In truth I was missing my fix of On30. While On18 is great fun it lacks the oomph of the Latin American trains so the layout has been reconnected.

Edit 2/11/13 - Three more trains added to the stock in the fiddleyards so the layout is now operating with four trains per day in each direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOKEu8Lc0kI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: