FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schiller Point, US O scale.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Schiller Point, US O scale. Reply with quote

Having posted elsewhere here about the Forum being quiet, I'd better practice what I preach and show you all my latest project layout, due to be shown at the Trent Valley North American Modellers Show in June. In due course I'll do an article for MTI, and hopefully that nice Mr Arendt will be interested too!! Laughing

Behold

...my new US O scale Shunty-Plank, called Schiller Point, a fictitious stabling yard set just north of the real Schiller park, once the Soo Line's main classification yard in Chicago, now an Intermodal yard.

Ah, hang on.... that's the wrong side...

That's better Very Happy . A funny shaped board, I know... 4ft long by 3.5ft at the wide end and 1ft at the narrow end, with a 4ft fiddleyard to add to that end.

The trackplan is very simple as you can see. The location is meant to be here, in the triangle in these map screenshots;

The idea is that I can show locos supposedly coming on & off trains at the end of the yard "beyond the bridge" which is as convenient a scenic break as ever there was!! As you can see with O scale there isn't much room.

Well, I suppose you've all had a good snigger by now, and are thinking what a lot of pants this little thing is...

But hang on a minute...

I've just missed out one little detail...

You've been looking at it from the wrong "end" ...

Here's the "Punter's View" for exhibition... with a scale Punter in place too Very Happy

Something a little different, eh?

Work has been progressing however, and all track is now in place;

The 'main line' is Code 148FB rail.
The points were hand-made (my first attempts!!) - the usual soldered rail/pcb strip method, using a photocopy of an old Lima 2ft radius point as a template. The sidings were mostly hand-spiked, following Prof Klyzlr's methods; Code 100 rail on balsa sleepers, with some pcb soldered sleepers amongst them for strength. I've tried to capture that wonderful rickety 'no-expense-met' look of badly-maintained secondary US track.

Well it's turned into a bit of a monster for a Shunty-Plank, but it all dismantles into flat pieces and will fit in my car for transport as well as the three trestles, and stock etc.

Now you've all stopped laughing... what do you think..??

Last edited by Jordan on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I never started laughing, so I can't stop!
It's very unusual to see a layout in any scale designed to be viewed "end-on" (I can only recall two or three, the "Stealth Bomber" being one of those) and in much smaller scales.
Nice to see the hand-built track, the end view will accentuate the odd dips and kinks, it's so often the viewpoint in a photo of a prototype (like some of the photos in the links that have been put on here recently), but only rarely can you get that sort of "down and dirty" view on a model.
I can see why it is so small, and the idea of basing it in a currently unused triangle of land in a real yard is excellent; how often do you see an odd disused area beside a railway track and wonder what used to be there?
I will be watching this with interest,
regards,
Simon
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have made an excellent start Jordan. I am looking forward to seeing this at Armitage later this year.

There is so much more heft and presence with O gauge that you just donít get with HO stuff.

Peter
mog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing?

I like it.. i like it a lot Very Happy

Mogtrains2 at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.com/
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKcRvdN719g66eDzc2iUN1w
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Jordan. What's going on the backscene (sidescene?) to the right? Cardboard cut-outs of hoppers or boxcars could give you a stationary freight train awaiting a free road in the yard but a photo/painting of the main line tracks with the scrub beyond, combined with long grass (hanging basket liner) in the foreground to hide the join, might work better.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
... What's going on the backscene (sidescene?) to the right?

Without me just re-quoting your whole post, Bob, you've pretty much summed up the options...
In the distance in that direction is actually Chicago O'Hare airport which is the white buildings visible in the distance in that last "maps" screenshot, looking from the Interstate across the tracks; Schiller Park is just to the east of it.
Although I did think about it, I'm not sure about putting flat pictures of boxcars etc on there due to the problem of perspective, and trying to portray the rest of the Overpass. On the other hand they would suggest the other running lines.
I was thinking of doing a very vague, low-horizon landscape, probably using a spray-gun without any masking to make it "blurred", with suitable foliage 'hiding' the main lines...
On the left the Interstate is quite elevated at that point, and on Google Street View nothing is really visible beyond, so the backscene will just be open sky, and the vehicles will provide the background (and possibly an Arundale-esque "How many US Cliche vehicles can you fit on one bridge?" ) Laughing Wink
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work is progressing (slowly as usual) on this layout, although I can't post any pics at the moment as my digital camera broke Rolling Eyes Embarassed

The main yard is ballasted now, although with the cold weather recently it took the dilute-pva a week to dry out Shocked and I'm making progress with the wiring, so the underside view of the board is starting to look rather 'spaghetti-ish'... it's amazing how much wiring is needed just for two running lines, fed from seperate controllers, live-frog points, and two under-board sound systems.
I know - wiring would be simpler with DCC, but the trade-off for simpler wiring would be a lot more expense in the way of DCC/Sound chips rated for O scale and a DCC system again rated for O scale. The only tangible benefits on this layout would be the loco lights remaining on constantly, and having type-specific sounds, instead of the rather 'generic' sounds provided by the MRC Diesel Sound Boxes. Confused
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No laughs from here: I like it.

I may have missed this point but how will you stop punters peering through the bridge and into the fiddle yard? Or are you going to let them do that as part of the experience?
Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korschtal wrote:
... how will you stop punters peering through the bridge and into the fiddle yard?

Yes, that's one slight problem...
From the left-hand side (facing the layout) you can't see under the bridge anyway, but I intend to paint areas under the bridge black to suggest shadow (more than will occur naturally) and also fill in the rear of it with a black panel with holes in it for the stock to fit through, and use "something" or other to fill those gaps and act as a curtain through which the locos can push through to enter/exit the scene. As you can tell, I haven't worked out the finer detail of this yet... Embarassed
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you extend the scenery, or at least the ballast and ground cover, into the fiddleyard area it will help disguise the fact that it is off stage.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-
Jordan wrote:
Korschtal wrote:
... how will you stop punters peering through the bridge and into the fiddle yard?

Yes, that's one slight problem...
From the left-hand side (facing the layout) you can't see under the bridge anyway, but I intend to paint areas under the bridge black to suggest shadow (more than will occur naturally) and also fill in the rear of it with a black panel with holes in it for the stock to fit through, and use "something" or other to fill those gaps and act as a curtain through which the locos can push through to enter/exit the scene. As you can tell, I haven't worked out the finer detail of this yet... Embarassed

Jordan - I had this problem on my 148th Street where the cars go onto the "Carfloat - if you look at it on RMweb 2010 challenge, you'll see my solution - visit Morrisons Supermarket and look in the hanging racks for Non-stick Baking Sheets - from one I cut verticaltical strips joined at the top and the locos/vehicles simply push it out of the way as they go through, and it springs back ito place afterwards - You could use a second layer attached behind the hole. If you can't find it, just let me know
Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob:- I've beaten you to it Laughing yes the ballast extends beyond the bridge a bit on the fiddleyard board. Wink

Jack:- I had seen what you've done there, and was thinking along similar lines. Putting a 'curtain' at the far end of the bridge will just hide it that little bit more, too. Thanks for the reminder of where to find your thread, though!! Very Happy
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big advantage is, that being silicone coated, it simply slides acrose the surface of anything pushed through it and doesn't scratch the paint
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've managed to snatch a few pics with a cheapo phone camera, so they'll have to do for now...

First up, the Skytrex Signal Cabin, trying hard not to look like a Signal Cabin...

Oil drums are also Skytrex. Next up a view of the 'armco' at the side of I-294.

The road will be the place for some fun:- "How many Cliche US vehicles can you fit on one road?"
Actually the yellow Taxi is a New York one; Chicago taxis of this type were green'n'cream, but I haven't found one yet... ssshhhh..!!! don't tell anyone... Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Finally a dodgy close-up of the 'digital' (i.e. Finger Control) point switching; a Caboose Industries Ground Throw, and a Maplins microswitch for frog polarity...

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan wrote:
Actually the yellow Taxi is a New York one

Where to bud?
Chicago please.
(Sharp intake of breath) Gee, that's gonna cost ya bud. Ged in then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: