FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schiller Point, US O scale.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
If the viewers are physically kept a bit further away than 'normal', then perspective sight lines will tend to blend together, so height of eye becomes less of an issue.

TVNAM doesn't have any barriers; at a show such as that I think that's a good thing - it makes for a less formal, more friendly atmosphere. If it was somewhere huge like Warley/NEC, with their big sturdy barriers, I take your point. Wink

Quote:
...from a normal audience viewing point, the track might just as well be Tri-ang super four...for all that the detail is lost from sight.!!!!!!!!!

A little game I like to play by myself at Shows is "Guess the Gauge" of the layouts, without looking in the guide. Usually best with 4mm Scale layouts - looking across the tracks as we usually do it can be very hard to tell what the gauge is; it'll very often be the stock that gives it away - There's no mistaking the difference on a Steam Loco between ordinary OO and P4...!! Rolling Eyes Laughing
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital Camera problem resolved (i.e. buy a new 'un!) here's a few more pictures, also including my latest loco I've just finished, an Atlas SD40, #755.

Firstly a "Punter's View" shot...

.. and the SD40 rolls into the stabling yard...

The 'View Block' arrangments under the bridge work quite well, I think...

A view by the office; don't get run over by the SW1200!!

Which Railroad's property are we on, again...?!?

Finally, can we just remind viewers at home that the curves are two foot radius, on Code 100 rail (This was shot without the sound effects on) ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azLZLFQjr4g
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan - have to say that the viewblock system works very well indeed - glad you found it useful
Cheers
Jack
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jack - it does work quite well doesn't it?

You'll note I managed to get a Pickup truck too in the end Wink a Chevy Silverado (year 2000) I think; a little bit late in era, but with the front away from the viewer not many should notice - they all look much of a muchness from the rear!! Razz
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks really good. Cool

An excellent presentation for the viewer.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh in June.

Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a belated bit of 'news' about this layout; over the weekend a Photographer for Continental Modeller magazine came to photograph it, for an article I've done for them.

Hope nobody minds too much; I'll do an article for MTI afterwards, probably using the photos on this thread, as the CM ones will be Copyright, but I couldn't resist the chance to reach a larger audience with this layout.... Embarassed

An amazing co-incidence was that the Photographer was one of the team that built "Villier Street", the 4mm EM layout that directly inspired the 'viewpoint' of this layout! He said this is the first layout he's seen that followed the same style of presentation, and was delighted to see it! Funny how it can be a small world at times...
Janner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a super layout Jordan and fully deserves a wider audience. The view blocks do indeed work really well.

I love it Very Happy

John Chapman
Bungus The Fogeyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
An amazing co-incidence was that the Photographer was one of the team that built "Villier Street",

That would be Ian Manderson, all round good bloke and photographer, builder of Villiers Street and Easington Lane and regular contributor on www.emgauge70s.co.uk which is well worth a look for some outstanding modelling..

Look forward to seeing those photos J

Disgusting of Market Harborough
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bungus The Fogeyman wrote:

That would be Ian Manderson,

Yes it would... Laughing ...although I am slightly confused, as the article about Villiers Street that I have (from M.R.M., Summer 2005 issue) is by a Tony Woods, and the layout is attributed to him as builder. I take it there was a joint effort involved?
Bungus The Fogeyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it in one. Tony's also a useful modeller, in fact he built Shireburn in Elmett I believe and exhibited it under another name- I bought a Bachmann 08 that had been EMmed off of him. I haven't seen him for a while- he was talking of going O gauge the last time I saw him.....

Disgusting of Market Harborough
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up December 2012 Continental Modeller in my local WHSmith; very good 8-page article on Schiller Point with a lot of photos....really looks stunning, Jordan, well done!
Simon
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Simon - you've seen the article before I have, then!!! Embarassed
I wasn't- sure how long the article would be, as it wasn't mentioned at all in the "preview" box either in last month's CM or the Peco website.

Now it's appeared I'll do an article for MTI; the pics won't be quite as good, as the CM ones are Copyright.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Jordan. I don't normally buy CM but I'll have a look next time I'm at the newsagents and see if they have a copy, failing that I'll go to Smiffs and get one there instead.

Looking forward to seeing it in the only magazine I subscribe to soon. Very Happy

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many congratulations Jordan. Cool

Copies of CM are as rare as hens teeth round this way but Andy K gets one from time to time So I may get to see it.

Peter
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must try to see the layout at a show somewhere although I guess it'll mostly be seen in the midlands which is difficult for me at the moment. Certainly a well-written article and the photos show it off at its best.
I'm very impressed with the depth of field, nothing's out of focus which can be quite challenging on a deep layout like this, also the locos look very impressive from the front.
Good thinking with having locos only on the bendy bits, too.
I must admit I don't particularly like on-board sound....even in 0 there isn't a lot of room for speakers and also with every loco on idle at the same time it can easily turn into a cacophony of noise rather than adding to the atmosphere.....some of the best effects I've heard are on Otto Schouwstra's various industrial narrow gauge layouts, and they have remote speakers. I suppose it's easier to get "right" on a narrow, deep, layout like yours than a long, wide one though!
Congratulations again on a fine layout!
Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: