FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferrocarril Internacional Video
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Ferrocarril Internacional Video Reply with quote

I have posted a video on Youtube showing the Ferrocarril Internacional On30 modules in use at the CRM members' meeting last Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZNRB_Vqhls

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Bob; very enjoyable.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to ask this before: how do the show public respond to so many mini-scenes in what is a slightly unusual presentational style? I wonder whether they congregate at one spot, or spread themselves out?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we first used the format it was with our OO modules, there we have short black plastic covers over the non-scenic bridge sections between modules. One lady was quite surprised when a train passed through the module she was examining, she had not realised that they were interconnected and thought they were a row of dioramas or microlayouts... Which is exactly what we think of them as, a series of microlayouts sharing fiddleyards.

The links between the On30 modules are not normally covered, though I have made some small screens for use between the modules when I have mine set up at home.

Most viewers take the scenes one by one but some, especially youngsters, like to follow the trains along the line then go back with the next one in the opposite direction.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just visited your blog, Bob. Good to see trains running again on the PyF. Is it my imagination or has the recent change in the weather reached the Sierra Oculta region? Looks to me like the background sky is a lot more overcast, and Frog Rock looks positively stormy!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Giles.

As Frog Rock is based on a New Zealand prototype it's quite a bit greener than the last surviving bit of Sierra Oculta (Rio Paleta). There is a good reason for NZ being green, it rains a lot!

There are some thin hazy clouds added to the backdrop on Rio Paleta to break up the clear blue sky but Frog Rock is painted as a stormy sky and the lighting is also arranged differently. On Rio Paleta the sunshine of the Altiplano is provided by three Ikea LED sections pointing directly at the baseboard, on Frog Rock there are only two sections and they point upwards so the light is bounced off the underneath of the upper layout shelf and noticeably dimmer.

Video of last night's running session: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq2MSrdR8C0

Prototype pic: http://0.static.wix.com/media/a28ac4_4b20eb58095d5e58e09264a3038dca41.jpg_1024

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A running session including the new On30 module was filmed this morning. Lighting here is a single spot aimed at the station building. It reflects nicely off the painted sky to give the impression of a distant haze but this is more good luck than good management. The backscene still requires some low relief trees (washing up sponges via the blender) adding.

Trainspotting at Resurrección (clicky link)

giles b

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see the FCPyFC back in action, Bob.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob said
Quote:
Lighting here is a single spot aimed at the station building.

That sounds just like that big yellow thing in the sky. Cool

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those well-weathered steamers always remind me of the photographic works of Colin Garratt.....
http://www.milepost92-half.co.uk/ColinGarratt.htm

...which also reminds me of how "insular" very many British railway enthusiasts are, never looking beyond these shores.... and missing a great deal of Britain's exported railway heritage - and arguably Britain's greatest gift to the world - in the process... Rolling Eyes ....but not MTI Readers!!! Wink
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan wrote:
...which also reminds me of how "insular" very many British railway enthusiasts are, never looking beyond these shores...

Rummaging in the shed the other day I unearthed these two books.

Both have been a great influence on my modelling interests, but the FCPyF in particular owes a lot to the narrow gauge book.

Rio Paleta's backscene was heavily influenced by the distant hills in this photo.

The original (terminus to fiddleyard) FCPyF was inspired by these two.

Resurrección grass covered tracks...

Now I can put what I like on the bookshelves these two are much more accessible, I reckon I might spend a couple of nights re-reading them this week.

Last edited by Blackcloud Railways on Sun May 25, 2014 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
giles b

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Whitehouse & Allen book looks like a good one. Must keep an eye on the bookstalls at shows. Thanks for the heads-up. In the first picture, I presume the tanker behind the loco is extra water - does the caption have any details?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The caption doesn't mention it, I presume it's an auxiliary water tender for the loco.

But, and this may be of use with Puerto Paseo, one of the excuses I used for tank cars in the passenger station on the original FCPyF was drinking water for stations along the line. I'm not sure how common the conveyance of drinking water by train was in Latin America but it was certainly a feature in the dryer areas of Africa.

giles b

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
The caption doesn't mention it, I presume it's an auxiliary water tender for the loco.

But, and this may be of use with Puerto Paseo, one of the excuses I used for tank cars in the passenger station on the original FCPyF was drinking water for stations along the line. I'm not sure how common the conveyance of drinking water by train was in Latin America but it was certainly a feature in the dryer areas of Africa.

Water tanks for outlying stations were also used on the metre gauge lines in the Carmargue, in France. I've already converted a tank wagon(based on a Majorcan prototype) for the FC Este, though it may be a weed-killing tanker. At all events it's painted in MOW white livery. Meanwhile I'm thinking up the story of why the FCCyO might run a water tank on the Mail train, but not on its freight service - I'll post the results in the Layout Tours/Puerto Paseo thread tomorrow.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles, I would be interested in any info you have on metre gauge lines in that part of France, as most were standard gauge that I have found.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: