FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferrocarril Internacional Video
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon,

That info came from an article by the late Denis Allenden in Model Railway News some time back in the late 1960s or mid 70s. I'll have a look to see if I've still got it on file. Look again here and if I can I'll post a copy/
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles,I remember you having a picture of the metre gauge line up at St Remy, but wasn't aware of anything nearer the coast. Further West , beyond Montpellier I think the Languedoc metre gauge system ran, but closed down a long time ago. Or have I misread .
Its an area I have a personal interest in, as I not only have family now there, but its also the area that initiated my interest in artwork.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have been driving round the area, there are some embankments which I had thought might be an old railway line, but many of the metre gauge lines were roadside so would have disappeared.
Got me thinking.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles,
you have just opened a very BIG door for me, I found this website about the CF de Camargue, it just has to be modelled
http://c.f.camargue.free.fr/
Not sure why they would require extra water wagons, especially as line was electrified during the 30s.

giles b

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That website looks interesting, Simon. I'll have a proper look later.

Meanwhile, I hope the Model Railway News article arrived safely. In it the author says the water tanks were needed to maintaina drinking water supply to stations without their own wells (or perhaps where the ground water was unsuitable - too salty perhaps? - for drinking).
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

received, thanks, I musthave a copy of magazine somewhere as it looks familiar.
Mains supply of water very rare till recently. Where possible, might have had a deep well, which my Brother had (might still have), and he is on similar sea level. Much of the land is reclaimed, and still floods in places.
I have driven along road beside one of the lines. Its an area where both rice and grapes are grown, sometimes almost next to each other, both requiring water. Old tanks might have better than nothing , hope they were properly cleaned.
St Marie is an important town historically, connected to Mary Magdalene etc, and the travelling community, not forgetting the local Santon figures. Its also the initial inspiration for my artwork and models. Little did I know there was a local narrow gauge railway.
It does seem odd to have had a railway, especially one that was electrified, but then roads were probably not as good as they are now. Wish I had known last year when I went up on top of the church, as I could have looked out for any traces.
W J K Davies has a paragraph in his book. Apparently lines built to transport salt. Pity line did not get preserved as it would be in middle of a tourist area.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take one photo (click) from Facebook.
Add the lid from an APA box and a few sheets of expanded polystyrene.
Plus an old Tri-ang truss girder bridge.

What happens next?

http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2014/05/27/a-bridge-too-far/

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, to get the clearance , =you could fix the girder sides at rail level, with extra girder work(open frame) under the track. Might give just enough height for clearance.
As for 'Made in England', a ladder I bought a couple of years ago said 'Made in Britain' . Also Hornby are moving production back from China, and Dapol do say 'made in Wales', although do wonder if that every piece , or just assembly sometimes. There is more than you would have thought.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The polystyrene scenery is pretty flimsy. This should not be a problem as it's not meant to be portable once built but, to counteract this weakness, I've given the bridge a solid timber base and the trackbed will also have some reinforcement from the ballast so dropping the track level isn't an option.

http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2014/05/28/jones-river/

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, If you're worried about clearance below the bridge some bridge piers, even just a couple of concrete pads sticking up above ground level, might helpto give the structure a foundation.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrong type of polystyrene, styrofoam is much stronger, but might still need some type of framework .
A narrow (1.5in) wide piece of timber under track , can be disguised as girders, then framework of girders outwards, and Triang bridge sides sit on top of these. Otherwise I would just leave top free.

Last edited by ruedetropal on Wed May 28, 2014 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not under the bridge Giles, it's through the bridge. It should have two cross beams between the tops of the truss girders to add lateral strength. The trains pass below these so they need to be a bit higher than the OO scale originals. I've got some plastic rods that had balloons on them, these might bend under hot water and set in an arch shape. If they don't I'll make some out of leftover Tri-ang Super 4 rails instead.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, the polystyrene is on an APA box lid as a baseboard so it doesn't need to be structural. I'm going to put filler around the outsides to tidy up the appearance but it's never going to leave home so it does not need to stand the rigours that an exhibition layout is subjected to.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot you said it was on APA lid, I an building one of my modules using lid, but think it is strong enough without any extra strengthening. As it is also raised off table to bring it up to the 50mm level , might need to add something, hope not. I asn't planning on heavy scenery.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warley Fen (originally the scenic fiddleyard for use with the Gn15 modules) is on a box lid too, but the trackbed is raised on scrap wood glued and nailed to the frame of the lid so it's not reliant on the hardboard sheet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: