FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferrocarril Internacional Video
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am enjoying the coverage of Jones River and Resureccion elsewhere. Until the recent picture of the Peruvian diesel on the old Tri-ang bridge, I hadn't realised how BIG it is. Any idea where the livery for No 29 came from? It reminds me very much of Majorcan diesels in the state-controlled period in the 1960s.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Giles.

The GE Shovelnose was built by John Teal to fit an Athearn HO scale mechanism, but based on protoype drawings, #29 was delivered in the two tone green with white pinstripe. The choice of colours was left to the builder but I did hint that green would match another main line diesel in the FCPyF's fleet at the time. I suspect it was just a matter of what paint John had in stock.

The V on the nose is mainly because it suits the loco's shape but probably very heavily influenced by this livery...
http://carsandtrains.com/ironroad/wpy/wp91_fraser.jpg

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FCPyF #29 disgraced itself this morning. Everything was going well filming trains running over the new bridge module until it was the GE diesel's turn, so it has been consigned to the cutting room floor (see out-take at the end). Sad

http://youtu.be/5dQcGbvxjKU

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Like the new 3D trees - are they the sort that are sold for fish tanks?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Giles, they're split down from an ornamental pot plant sold by Ikea. These two are half of it, the other half is on Warley Fen (the one on the far side of the track).

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes - the IKEA department I usually try to speed through as it's getting near the check-outs......and freedom!

I almost wished I was still into G scale the other day. Visiting a garden centre they were selling conifers 12" tall for £1 each. Wonder if you could sink the pots into the baseboard on an indoor permanent layout.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not found them yet, not surprising when you have walked all round store.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Good Beer Guide once described the Star Inn, Glossop, as an odd shaped pub next to the railway station. I now have my own version of an odd shaped pub next to a railway station. And it's called the Star Inn too, well almost, as it's in Sierra Oculta it is known as La Posada Estrella... Same thing. Laughing

http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2014/06/06/la-posada-estrella/

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the "cowboy-style" swing doors, but I never thought before, what did they do when they wanted to be closed securely, I wonder?. Is the building kit the same type as the Fisheries Office on Lochside?

The almost triangular floor plan reminds me of Joe's Barber Shop on my former G scale layout. The building was squeezed in between the edge of the baseboard and the curved main line. A barber was the only trader I could think of who could use such a small space. Rather than hi-jack this thread, I'll put the pictures in one of mine: "Just 'cos I like it"
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sarissa-precision.co.uk/

Same source as the building on Lochside, made for wargaming so underscale for 1:48 but I removed the transome window to make the doorway taller.

Probably another set of doors inside the swing gates?

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old newspaper cutting...

Note how the FCPyF spokesman makes it plain that safety is the road user's responsibility. No grovelling apologies from officials in Sierra Oculta, my little Marxist paradise where compensation is the suspension that stops trains derailing on rough track instead of being big business for ambulance chasers.

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from your blog that Resurreccion now has a staffed crossing. If brandishing a red flag fails to stop the traffic, how about this solution, based on a Majorcan prototype? Four bollards and two lengths of rusty chain (formerly painted red).

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I like. Could be made using steel links at the end of each chain and magnetic bollards so that the chains could be rigged either against the road or against the railway. Obviously with manual operation but pose-able for photographs nonetheless.

giles b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they bothered to put the chains across the tracks when the trains weren't due. I found such a crossing on a country lane two months after the branch line closed; the chains were still across the roadway, lying in the dust.

Given that method, if the chain was secured at one end one could, I suppose, arrange for the other end to be hooked onto a pin running up through the bollard. This could be activated by solenoid or lever to retract, thereby dropping the chain. Hooking up would have to be manual.

Incidentally on Majorca the crossing keepers were recruited from the wives of the local p.w. crew.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not a lot of road traffic at Resurrección, only the odd taxi to pick up an equally odd passenger at the station. The German diplomats tend to stay away since their Merc was side-swiped by loco #7 and the Sierra Oculta militia seem to like the pack trail embankment as a vantage point for watching over the Jones River bridge. I could probably get away with leaving the chains attached all the time... Then the crossing keeper can head for La Posada Estrella like a proper railwayman.

The last crossing keeper at Ward's Crossing (Dinting Lane, on the Glossop branch) was wife of one of the station staff at Glossop. The crossing is now closed and Dinting Lane is no longer a through road. She had a static Friday rest day, when it took two relief staff to cover the gates during the hours that trains were running, and she had Sundays off because there was no Sunday service in those days. Apart from that she was on duty/on call 24 hours a day.

Not a job I'd like to take on though I would dearly have loved to live in the crossing house, right next to the line with a convenient set of steps where the trains would stop to allow visitors to alight as if it was a private station. It was a world apart from today's railway!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: