FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Loft Layout...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The containers with the opening doors were from kits from Conrad Electronics in Germany found on the Internet - very difficult to find - they were 40' kits that I had to cut down as I needed 20 footers ordered from their UK site
http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/211508/40006-H0-Container-kit-40ft currently only one kit in stock
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some more progress photos from 'up the loft'....

A milestone event on the layout - the first building to be properly "planted" (i.e. glued down!!)... the Yard Office!!

Okay so it's only a small building, but it tries to show a bit of 'history', being located on the 'former site' of an old Depot building, as is often common, and also still trying to narrow down the location, Era and owner of the layout by proclaiming "Welcome to Progressive Rail" on the sign, despite the frequent appearances of Minnesota Commercial, CSX, Soo Line and Wisconsin Central locos as well as my PGR fleet!!

In the background of the second picture can be seen the 'downtown' area; a collection of buildings I picked up at the recent TVNAM Show. Here's a closer look at them...

They are assumed to be part of the town's 'old' industrial area that predates the Industrial Park further along the line. Detailing will try and make this area look fairly run down.

I've been working on the road that runs the length of the layout and divides the mainline from the freight branch. Stil not complete, of course, but here's a view looking down Back Street with Portway Cold Storage and C&S Chemicals to the right, and Co-Pack Foods way in the distance...

Keen-eyed viewers will note the 'wobbly track' on the branch line in the middle of the picture. Laughing

Talking of names for the industries, I've done some on the computer.
Portway Cold Storage -

C&S Chemicals -

...and a non-rail-served Industry, Trensys (actually a real business a relative owns!) -

Scenic work is making slow progress, but although still far from complete, this view of the 'narrow bit' over the boiler does make a nice contrast with an earlier picture taken from the same angle...

(Apologies for the 'eclectic' mix of trains, there!!)

Finally, with some careful camera positioning, some parts of this layout can look quite remote and rural... here's an old Depot that has survived on the freight branch, at the top of the siding where trains are interchanged for the mainline...

Of course, the camera has cropped out the two mainline tracks to the right, and a few feet around the corner is the British station, so you don't really see the layout like this in reality - even if you could get your Mk1 Eyeball in this position..!!! Laughing
Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let 'em roll..!! Or; the Anti-dote to ShuntyPlanks....

Just a bit of fun; a thirty-car consist and 3 locos lashed up on the point take nearly a minute to go past the camera ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVyuMjpLT68

Couple of thoughts...
a) Who needs DCC sound anyway...? and b) ever wondered why drivers in the US seem to try and jump Grade (Level) Crossings just ahead of a 100+cars train....?! Rolling Eyes Wink

Edit:- I can't work out how to 'embed' the link so the video shows up here? If Admin can do it for me...??
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was fun,to watch, Jordan!
Makes me wonder about the feasibility of running the N scale right round the living room.......... Rolling Eyes
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back in this Thread I mentioned plans for the so-called "British" side of this layout; that as soon as my lad either lost interest or left home, the Metcalfe station would go...

Well he hasn't left home, but since his new interest is N Scale, he decided to get rid of all his OO stuff, which recently went to our local Model Shop, so the way has become clear for my whole layout to become 'all American', and the station has indeed gone....

Track has been re-arranged too; the inside line lifted and being replaced by US Code 83 on a new alignment, and the outer line lifted up on 3mm mdf strip, although the Code 100, concrete sleeper track is retained. Hopefully this makes it look a bit like a single-track Main with a siding (passing loop in English) nearby serving a couple of Grain Elevators -

The larger facility helps to act as a view-block of part of the partition wall at that point in the loft.

... whilst a bit further along the siding an older one creates my "Prairie Skyscraper in Nowheresville" scene...

Of course as usual it's all work in (long term) progress, so just the building shells are in place for now and track re-laying is still being done on the siding. I'll finish this post with a pic of my hi-tech method of joining Code 83 to Code 100 rail.

Code 100 rail joiners, squeezed flat under the Code 83, which is soldered on top.
ibareham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan

Been watching the progress for a while. On the older industrial area, on my Harrterm layout I used an Model Railroder idea for a run down urban idea to have the remains of a building between two others. I built a Seedy Hotel from a DPM kit thence remains of a knocked down building with a floor from Willis floorboard sheet & some fencing at front and back then a Seaman Mission on the corner from Pola & Life Like parts. On the walls of two standing buildings I added the shape of the pulled down building plastered walls including 2nd floor & roof joists. Don't know if I have a photo of the scene to hand to give you the idea. I also covered to sidewalk side of the fence with posters for Bruce Spingsteen Born in USA tour Summer 84 to date the layout. I a soft spot for well modelled gritty urban scenes.

Found photos which I have scanned but don't know how to post yet.

Ipswich England
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian, that sounds an interesting idea & I do get the gist of it from your description, although since posting those photos of mine I've glued those buildings in place.
Progress is even slower than ever at the moment as I'm concentrating on the new O Scale layout due for the Trent Valley Show in June. What free time I get is mostly being used on that, unless the weather is too wet or cold, since it's up the garden shed, so then I can do a bit to this layout. If only I could stick to just one scale... Rolling Eyes Embarassed Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: