FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Walminton Pier Update (Issue 70)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Walminton Pier Update (Issue 70) Reply with quote

As usual I treated the contents page as for Sissies and thumbed into the magazine without knowing what to expect.

It was nice to find the article on Dave Carson's pier towards the end of the magazine. A wonderfully simple sort of prototype for a simple little layout. And no need for a hidden fiddleyard, the complete railway modelled in its entirety.

The Irish Hammer sounds a bit like Trigger's street sweeping brush out of "Only Fools and Horses", still brand new after all those years in service!

[pedant]The Union Flag would be found flying from a bandstand, the Union Jack should be on a boat[/pedant] Wink

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Piermaster

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Walmington Pier Tramway.... Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

It's good to receive some praise after the slagging off, accusations and denial of 'Right to Reply' on another forum (which shall remain nameless).

Walmington Pier Tramway is my most successful layout ever and will never retire!

In this day and age, we need to model something completely different to capture the public and maintain interest in the hobby and I did it! I have to confess that it was a year between completion and first exhibition as I was scared to exhibit it for fear of it being too simple and the risk of poor or no reaction! I would do it all over again!

Cyril Freezer saw it at a show and was very impressed - He said that I broke all the rules in railway modelling and got clean away with it!

By the way, my late father was ex Royal Navy and a Union Jack would never appear on a ship - White Ensign for Royal Navy, Red Ensign (or Red Duster) for a Merchant Navy vessel. I know its the Union Flag, but when the BBC reports our national flag as Union Jack, what hope have we of correcting it!!!

Thanks once again Bob,

Dave.
Piermaster

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Walmington Pier Tramway.... Reply with quote

Thanks Bob and Jordan for your compliments.

Just re-read the article and noticed that nothing was edited. However, I wish that Chris (or one of his team) left out their concluding paragraph as Walmington Pier Tramway is a pleasure pier and yes, by all means add a siding, but 'Pugs' and fish vans on a pleasure pier? I don't think so!!!!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Carson wrote:
... by all means add a siding, but 'Pugs' and fish vans on a pleasure pier? I don't think so!!!!

Agreed. Got Pugs and vans on this one, but it it's at the scruffy end of town away from the tourists. Laughing

Piermaster's Office,
Port Abel Docks and Harbour Board. (1:76)

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Piermaster

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Luxury!!! Your Piermaster has an office - mine uses the privvy at the shore end!!!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Carson wrote:
Bob,

Luxury!!! Your Piermaster has an office - mine uses the privvy at the shore end!!!

Not wanting to make either Walmington or Port Abel piermasters jealous, BUT, the building with the bicycle leaning against it is the harbourmaster's office at Earles Quay (the entirety of which is visible in the photo). Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: