FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work on the new goods loco started today. As usual a real mongrel pedigree. First a view of the chopped donor body, a Hornby Queen Mary industrial, now mounted on a Smokey Joe chassis to get the cylinders and conecting rods - not a tram loco like last time. The weight stuck on the outside of the tanks will be covered by new tank sides.

Next is a dry run to test the general look of the loco. The cab came off the toy loco bought on holiday earlier this year. Just about right for width, it has had taller side panels added to get the cab height right. Now I just need to add a new 10thou sheet (or even paper) to cover the hack-saw marks on the cab front. Chimney is a Wrightlines casting and the nice brass dome came off a horrid eBay loco (Lanky Pug "converted" to 0-16.5) which is due to return to OO scale next year. The tender will be converted from this old B12 example (or it may share the similar tender, already converted).

I still need to add a wider footplate at the front and new end beams, but it's going in the right direction, I think.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another look at the conversion and it occurs to me that the loco looks a bit too much like a 15inch gauge engine. The cab has been lowered some three mm, which helps - and could perhaps a little more could go, and the tall brass dome has been changed for something a little lower from Wrightlines. I like the tall chimney, which matches the saddle tank already in use, but will try out one of the other shorter funnels in the spares box, before finally making up my mind. I suspect the proportions will also be altered a bit when the tank cladding is finished.

Meanwhile one set of enlarged cylinders has been fitted - a job that took a little thought and fiddling, so as to be able to remove the body and leave the cylinders attached to the chassis. I'll do the other set today and them take more pictures.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can see what you mean about the cab. I think a lower version might look better, but even as it stands the die cast toy cab looks better than anything I could make from scratch. I can never get the spectacle plate symmetrical! Rolling Eyes

Must keep an eye out for second hand versions of the 1:55 (ish) loco.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the latest on the loco conversion - cab a little lower and slightly different boiler fittings (not yet glued in place), plus cylinders in proportion to the larger scale.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hornby/Teamsterz loco conversion has moved on a little today. A coat of undercoat paint has improved matters, as there is not such a range of base colours and different materials on view now. Here the loco poses with the tender belonging to #4. Meanwhile a similar tender conversion is under way. Looks like the work will be finished in time for the Tadworth show on the Saturday after next.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
A coat of undercoat paint has improved matters...

It's certainly made the side tanks look a better shape. Laughing

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The donor body (King George/Queen Many type) has nice proportions and upscales quite well, I think, as it's easier to add bulk to side tanks than the saddle tank of Smokey Joe. Shame the motor is a type that can't be converted to run slowly, as suggested in Railway Modeller. You have to have a Smokey Joe for that, so my two will almost certainly go to the OO layout. Having said that, this loco is fairly old and well run in, and performs quite reasonably, particularly on a feedback controller.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on the new tender this afternoon. As before, this was cut in half lengthways and a widening piece stuck across inside the original back panel to increase the width by about 8mm. A wider coal board was also added to stop everything arriving on the footplate at once. I then thought it would be good to model the tender half-empty of coal, so cut away the moulded coal load with my track cutting snips. The bottoms of the "cupboards" on either side were made up with some square tube and a new back-plate and sloping tender floor provided from 30thou styrene.

After taking this picture I used the rather small water fillers from the tender on the loco's tank tops, where they look much better, and found the tender filler from one of my US style locos for this tender. Also managed to sort out the couplings, using a Kadee #18, with the tail shortened, pinned to the lower edge of the front buffer-beam.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took a little time to work out the best way of attaching the tender. At one point it struck me that I should have mounted the tender body on back-to-front and used the Hornby couplings; instead I bodged something, luckily hidden beneath the tender's fall-plate. Now the loco is almost finished - just a bit of sanding on the back of the tender, and a second coat of green paint, then transfers. The body seems to "sit down" a bit at the back; a bit of packing seems to be called for under the cab, once the paint is dry.

The driver is a policeman, found in a show junk-box. He had to be dis-armed and his walkie-talkie needed removing, and is now back in civilian life. The fireman is a Slater's figure

The loco will get an in-service test this week-end at Tadworth, and may end up rostered on passenger duties
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
The body seems to "sit down" a bit at the back; a bit of packing seems to be called for under the cab, once the paint is dry.

Sagging springs? Wink

giles b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller of the two FCO Moguls was unable to perform at Tadworth the other week-end. Luckily a session on the workbench proved that a visit from the oil-can was all that was needed, after which - no problem.

It did, however, provoke thoughts about having a spare FCO engine for emergencies. Tests with two HO locos, a Model Power 2-6-0 and a USRA 0-6-0 discovered they were a little under-powered for the heavier On30 freight cars. An old eBay purchase was unearthed, a small 0-4-0T, which proved capable of hauling three hoppers plus a caboose. I've always had a yen for a Forney, so got out some card and made a crude mock-up to see what the body proportions might look like. The result is quite pleasing, and a quick run along the yard at Paseo showed the body will need to be a little narrower than the mock-up, owing to the sideways throw of the bunker end. Better news is that a loco bogie in the spares box seems to run well behind the mechanism, so no chassis carving seems likely. Pictures show it with some rolling stock. The chimney will probably get a couple of mm taken off when it gets fixed permanently. Yes, I know there shouldn't be side tanks on a real Forney, but the weight inside is too large to be contained in a boiler alone - it seems a small price to pay for another, rather different, locomotive.

This is another back-burner project, but will definitely be returned to in the future.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-conformist! Shocked

While the rest of the world's On30 modellers are hacking the back half off their troublesome 2-4-4Ts to make tender locos...

...there has to be one who goes and makes a perfectly good loco into a Forney! Laughing

TBH they are fine looking machines though. That's why I bought mine in the first place, it turned out to be more trouble than it was worth but still has a pretty smart outline as a tender loco.

giles b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
Non-conformist! Shocked

While the rest of the world's On30 modellers are hacking the back half off their troublesome 2-4-4Ts to make tender locos there has to be one who goes and makes a perfectly good loco into a Forney! Laughing

Know what you mean,Bob, but there always has to be one awkward ***. doesn't there Twisted Evil Smile Everyone I know who has a Forney has spent time trying to improve it, and I didn't really feel like going down that route, besides not wanting to spend that kind of cash. The little 0-4-0 has set me back 13 so far, including having someone fine tuning it, and fitting the Kadees. If the Forney idea does not work, plan B is to turn it into a logging/mining loco with side tanks, but also a small tender - making it into a sorta Porter, in fact. It's main role looks like hauling the daily minerals train, so that train's regular engine can move up if the freight loco plays up again. As a Forney, I suppose it could also work the passenger service, so in the best Awdrey tradition it will be a Really Useful Engine. Smile
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting takes on the Forney-with-side-tanks idea?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9977705@N05/4286285662/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9977705@N05/4286285612/

An alternative would be to bring the cab forward, giving the impression of a shorter boiler, still with small side tanks but these could be converted to represent additional coal bunkers. Or maybe even large sandboxes, in which case they could be left with their original width. Bear in mind too that the firebox of some US locos extends well into the cab, with the boiler backhead actually behind the driver, the regulator etc being mounted on top of the firebox instead of on the backhead. For example look at the Bachmann mogul.

A shorter wheelbase trailing bogie might look better on this version though and a front pony truck might balance things out visually.

Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
giles b wrote:
The body seems to "sit down" a bit at the back; a bit of packing seems to be called for under the cab, once the paint is dry.

Sagging springs? Wink

What Bob said!! That slight sag adds a bit more character! I wouldn't change it! Wink

Whilst admiring all this locomotive "modification", I also note that the backscene is particularly effective, too, in all the photos! Very nice! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 33 of 35

Jump to: