FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
Interesting takes on the Forney-with-side-tanks idea?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9977705@N05/4286285612/

That's an interesting conversion, Bob; one of yours?

Your suggestion of moving the cab forward is also interesting. Makes it almost into a Camelback. I think I'll try and get hold of a shorter bogie, if I can. This one was in the spares box so got used for the try-out. It does make the bunker look a little long, but this needs to be a bit higher, anyway. Same height as the side tanks should look OK.

Jordan - many thanks. A combination of lucky finds from the web. Reminds me that some peeling edges need fixing before the week-end's show. I'll go and do them now Exclamation
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not mine Giles, just an internet search find. I quite like the photoshopped version of your plan that I did though, perhaps the FCPyF could use a Forny-ish after all.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.

Last edited by Blackcloud Railways on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Bob's useful photo-shop of my original idea I've dug out a couple of other shorter bogies to try under the bunker. The HO one looks better with 12mm diameter wheels, though axle length is critical for free running, but I also have a diamond framed bogie off a damaged Hornby brick wagon that might also do. First I need to work out a way of de-mounting the bogie with minimal damage to the body. This won't be soon as I have to get back to my Shellsea layout.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
I need to work out a way of de-mounting the bogie with minimal damage to the body.

I drilled out the brass rivets when replacing the trucks on Transcontinental freight cars, I've not got one to check but I presume the brick wagon's bogies are attached in a similar manner.

Use a drill slightly smaller than the diameter of the bushed end of the rivet, so that it will pass through the plastic body with minimal contact if you drill too far, but all that is needed is to cut through the upper end of the rivet, releasing the tube from the bush so that it can be pushed out of the mounting hole.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob, I'll give it a go.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to Bob's suggestion, I remove the old metal Tri-ang bogies using a razor saw, cutting through the rivet between truck and body.

This has the advantage of allowing me to re-use the rivet halves as spacers, securing the trucks with a suitable bit of sprue pressed down the rivet centres.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one complete bogie on the brick wagon at present, which is why it might be useful under the Forney. I have another chassis entirely on which to mount the converted body, so in a sense the condition of the bogie pivots is immaterial. I'll just see which method looks easier when I get to do the conversion.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a few spare minutes the other day and sawed the bogie off the old Brick wagon. I was going to remove the series 3 coupling and the frame extension that secures it to the bogie, but had a thought - if I leave it in place, could it be a better pivot point for the bogie than the hole in the centre strut?

Food for thought and further experimentation.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pivoted the bogie on my Forney at the inner end. The photos show the pivot point from the side (1 + 2), underneath (3) and above (4).

The bogie is held in place by a keeper plate (as shown in photo 3) which allows it to move from side to side as well as turning in relation to the loco's chassis. In effect the bogie is riding free underneath the back end of the loco but it tracks well and I have tested it by propelling a train in the uphill direction (my garage floor slopes) on the FCPyF main line.

As can be seen in the photo below the bogie swings out from underneath the bunker on curves but the coupler swings with it so there should be no problems with stock being dragged off the track sideways as with the Bachmann Forney's rear end swing.

This is a Tri-ang set-track curve leading to the turntable at Puerto del Sastra, so it is an extreme instance of the loco's overhang, obviously on gentler curves the swing will not be so excessive.

Which reminds me, I need to get on with this loco. It's been parked on Cuarto Sheds which in turn has been neglected while I've been distracted with San Fernandez Terminus. And I've still not finished the overbridge at Puerto del Sastra either. Too many irons in the fire!

giles b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, Bob. It looks from photo 3 that the silver tab, from which the bogie pivots, may itself have a little flexibility where it fits into the black end of the "Percy" chassis. Is this the case?

With the proposed bogie for my Forney, I've been wondering about coupler swing. If the Kadee needs to be on the bogie (an almost foregone conclusion) then it's probably going to need fitting to the tab that hold the Tri-ang coupling, in which case I'll need to make alternative arrangements to pivot the bogie at the opposite end.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tension lock coupler mount on the chassis has been trimmed down to just a post around the mounting screw. The bogie frame is hooked over this and secured by the keeper plate, which is just a scrap of plastic. The end of the chassis is chamfered to clear the bogie wheels. There is some play in the mounting so the bogie is free to move in all directions, up/down, side to side, swivel (vertically and horizontally) and also a bit of give forwards/backwards. When running forwards the bogie frame is pulled by the pivot point, when running backwards the bogie frame is pushed by the end of the chassis block.

Basic bodging, as to be expected from me. Laughing

A similar mounting post could be built up using a longer screw or bolt inserted into the loco's underframe with a suitable length of tube, or even a couple of small nuts, to act as a spacer for the keeper plate to be tightened against.

giles b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been looking at some recent postings on Bob Blackcloud's blogsite I saw something that gave me the germ of an idea. It was a (resin casting?) wagon load representing some large bales. I thought some thing similar might be possible using available ingredients and the resulting test-piece is shown in the picture.

It is a length of scrap balsa scored every 20mm with the scorings and edges rounded off with sandpaper. It was then washed with button polish and some facial tissue paper was puddled on with more polish. The excess paper was wrapped round underneath and twisted at the ends. When the polish dries it hardens that paper, and I hope it will look like small bales or sacks when painted. For a wagon load I'd make it from a larger piece of balsa that fits into the wagon, and partially sawn into oblong sections and then rounded off in a similar fashion.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More sacks than bales with the rounded shape, but looking good, and wagon loads show that the railway is earning its keep. Wink

giles b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
More sacks than bales with the rounded shape, but looking good, and wagon loads show that the railway is earning its keep. Wink

Sacks are OK - I'll see later what a larger group look like, but have just remembered that I've got a 4mm scale wagon-load of sacks squirrelled away somewhere. Meanwhile I found some cheap second-hand long crates at a show last week-end which fit the FCCyO's low-sided gondola. It was also pointed out that this wagon's stiff performance was caused by the flanges catching on the chassis when the bogies turned; now cured with better wheels, so looks and performance improved. Other potential loads are 2 different drainpipe loads, oil drums, a bit of machinery plus the minerals train. Meanwhile the amount of spare coffee stirrers seem to indicate a load of planking at some future date, so the line's ledgers must be moving into the black ink zone.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puerto Paseo has been on the back-burner for a while as other projects have taken precedence (for the next few days I should be finishing off the wiring and control panel for Shellsea Harbour). However I have had confirmation of an invitation to a big show next June, so that's a date to work towards with any new On30 construction. The Forney should get finished by then, and I'd like to get the FC Norte passenger stock done as well, so as to run the occasional excursion special. I've got four of these to work with, which should allow a bit of body variation, particularly as I want to solve the one-sided door question.

Meanwhile I've had a bit of a clear-out of surplus wagons and several are on eBay at present.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 34 of 35

Jump to: