FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toy Story trainset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Toy Story trainset Reply with quote

I bought one of these on eBay and have begun proceedings to send it back as it is somewhat disappointing from a modeller's point of view. I think one should bear in mind the word Toy in the title on the box.

The loco is quite nicely moulded, and the body is even weathered, however I'm not sure how it would come apart, should you wish to mount a new body on the chassis (which is plastic). The front bogie pivot runs in a slot to allow articulation, and the cylinder fronts have cut outs to allow the bogie to swing fully. There are no connecting rods and because of the presence of moulded slide bars it would be quite difficult to drill out the cylinder to fit working valve gear. There is no provision for a front coupling. As I hope to return it, I did not perform a test run, though I have no reason to believe that running quality would be impaired. Pick-up appears to be on all four coupled wheels.

The three wagons are the main bone of contention, as the bogies and underframe detail are solid mouldings, there being enough slop in the journals to let the cars run round curved track - I'm not sure how they'd react to points, however. The car bodies are nice enough, and represent quite early American "shorty" prototypes, though you'd need to demount the figures from the roof. Windows are backed by pale grey plastic, so are not see-through. The couplings provided are a sort of snap-togethger type, not Hornby tension locks.

I would advise looking at an example in a shop before purchase.
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Engine Shed in Leytonstone are selling items from set separately so as Giles suggests you oculd have a look before buying. Looked about S scale to me

Ken
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Toy Story trainset Reply with quote

giles b wrote:

The three wagons are the main bone of contention, as the bogies and underframe detail are solid mouldings, there being enough slop in the journals to let the cars run round curved track ...

It might seem a perverse way to do things from a modeller's viewpoint, but having seen my lad struggle with railing OO & HO stock, especially freight cars with trucks, I can understand why they've done it - for the target audience of little kids in families with no Railway interest whatsoever beyond what they've seen in a film... there'd be some tantrums if they can't get all the wheels on the track in the first place... and that's just the Dad Razz
Quote:
I think one should bear in mind the word Toy in the title on the box.

Nail + Head = Hit!!! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: