FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And now for something completely different
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: And now for something completely different Reply with quote

I have been thinking about a new project for the winter months when for four months I donít work. Cold weather and racing cars or bikes donít mix.

I have a space available between the HO switching layout and the corner where I keep the Two Sisterís Farm layout.
It measures 6 feet long and would be 6 inches wide at one end and fifteen inches wide at the other. It would in fact be bolted to the back of the Benson west yard by coach bolts.

By way of a change and because they are much improved nowadays it will be British outline.
I am looking at various track layouts at the moment and have more or less decided it will be an ingle nook track formation. I am enjoying sketching a few ideas at the moment.

I have made one firm decision, itís going to be a joint LMS/ GWR run affair. Jinties and 57XX to power the short trains I think.

Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: And now for something completely different Reply with quote

Broadoak wrote:

I have made one firm decision, itís going to be a joint LMS/ GWR run affair. Jinties and 57XX to power the short trains I think.

Sounds like the Forest of Dean is beckoning you, Peter... the Severn & Wye Joint became a GWR/Midland affair after 1923... Very Happy Wink
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that idea Jordan, I must admit I hadnít thought of the Forest of Dean.
I will have to research it. Embarassed

I was a bit vague with regard to the location, my thinking was Wales somewhere.

I have a list of features which I fancy the model should have they are in no particular order.
Simple station building, probably wood or corrugated iron. (Colonel Stevens)
Coal staithes/ probably two different merchants.
Goods shed small wooden affair, as station buildings.
Engine shed/coaling /water tower/inspection or ash pit, probably on kick back siding.
Industry of some sort bit vague here/ timber merchant/quarry/coal mine.
Cattle dock.
Small signal box.
Platform for parcels /light goods GWR pagoda.
Goods yard crane/ few grotty huts /grounded van bodies.
All a bit run down and tatty, early fifties, a couple of years before closure.

Problem have got loads of information on Lambourne Berks. I must admit to being tempted by it. This of course means no LMS. Offset by flying banana.

Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your list sounds almost like Parkend, in the Forest..!! Except for the Engine Shed - locos were shedded at Lydney (a Sub-Shed of Gloucester 85B).

http://www.deanforestrailway.co.uk/section.php?xSec=26 is the DFR's page about Parkend.
The original Wooden Goods Shed is still in place; the Station building is a replica of the 'standard' William Eassie design for the area. A goods line ran as a loop between the goods shed and platform, and had a small loading dock at the far end of the platform - could become a Cattle Dock - used for sheep more likely - the free-roaming "scraggies" are a feature of the Forest!
The current Signal Box is on the near side of the road; the original was on the far side. Sidings went off to the left to a large loading wharf (Marsh Sidings) where they loaded coal from lorries, later this was stone from Whitecliff Quarry used for ballast; this traffic kept the branch open until the mid-1970's.
Yes, the area is well worth some research - look for photographic books by Ben Ashworth (unfortunately out of print at the moment though) - and a visit to the DFR is highly recommended!! Wink
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the links Jordan, I will have a study of them.
I must admit I am impressed by your depth of knowledge.

I have without recourse to the internet found a bit more information from books I have myself.
You mention Ben Ashworth much of his work is featured in an album I have called Great Western Branch Line Album. He is a superb photographer, I think his picture seem to capture the atmosphere somehow. The train being just a part of it all. I defy anyone to not be tempted to model the GWR having had a look at this book.

There is a superb picture by Ben Ashworth of a pannier and small goods train at Coleford Jcn. in the Forest of Dean taken in December 1963.
I found a picture of a pannier no 4678 struggling up towards Bitterly on a thrice weekly train to Ludlow. The train is a loco, seven open wagons and a brakevan. It is on the Clee Hill Mineral railway, a former GWR/LMS joint affair in Shropshire. The material quarried was called dolerite and was used for road building. Dated August 1956.
There is another picture of a pannier no 9619 with a load of ore wagons passing Tintern Quarry at Chepstow.
Another photo shows the last working colliery, Northern United in the Forest of Dean. Again itís a 57xx and a load of empty 16 ton mineral wagons in December 1965.
There is loads of inspiration all in the one book. I must say researching is proving most enjoyable.

I may have to forget the LMS.

Peter
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I saw a copy of Ben Ashworth's "BR Steam In Dean" in the Ian Allan shop in Birmingham last week, and I expect there is still the odd unsold copy lurking elsewhere.
My N gauge layout has a scratch-built model of Lambourn (GWR spelling) signal box.....quite agree it's an modellogenic line!
I must admit that I find the FoD/Welsh border area fascinating, will watch this project with interest, whatever you end up doing!
Regards,
Simon
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Simon.

Donít expect too much from me. I am afraid the advancing years are starting to take their toll. My eyesight is no longer what it once was and my hands donít seem so dexterous. I think the model, itís only a six foot long shunty plank after all, will feature mainly kit built structures.

I must confess to already having bought a few items some time ago. They are A Hornby GWR 14xx, still un-weathered. A Mainline Standard 2-6-2 tank, this I have weathered, I like just watching the valve gear on this one. Two PO open wagons, a GW open and a toad, all now lightly weathered.

So I seem to be heading towards a GWR solution.

Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadoak wrote:
Thanks again for the links Jordan, I will have a study of them.
I must admit I am impressed by your depth of knowledge.

Built up over time... it's my favourite area for UK Railways. Glad you're enjoying the research - it does add a certain 'something' to any layout project.

Oh, and the DFR is running a 14xx and Autocoach at the moment, of course... Razz Wink
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still doing a little research and fiddling with different track plans. I have to decide to go for a run round loop, or forgo the operational improvements with a simpler but more spacious ingle nook track plan. The second option looks more likely due to space considerations. 6 foot long layout!
At first I thought I might have to forget the engine shed idea, but on studying my copy of GWR engine sheds in camera I think I might get away with it. I found pictures of thirty odd single road sheds, anyone of which would make a good model. The shed at Lydney is a bit too large unfortunately and would make a good model in its own right. Loads of lightweight 1600 panniers for the SWR lines. It is all good fun I must say.

Here are a few links I have found.

Richard Kyteís Railways of the Forest of Dean

www.flickr.com/photos/midlandexplorerboy/

Forest of Dean Central Railway

I think a trip down there to get the feel of the place might be called for.

Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of clips on You-Tube of the DFR; this one from the Branchline Gala 30th April this year is a good one:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjwt485tXeg
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice little films Jordan thank you.
I especially like the pannier in black with the early BR logo. It is on my must get one list (due any time now from Bachmann)

As is usual with my internet explorations I have gone off at a tangent but found this superb site.

www.martin.loader.btinternet.co.uk/Fairford_Branch.htm

This has really got me confused as to what direction I should take. Being practical for a moment, I live much nearer to the Witney area, so field trips for feeling the atmosphere are easy.
Also there seem an awful lot of trees in the Forest of Dean, you would need to make a lot to make it look realistic.
That said I have been experimenting with the telephone wire again and have made a few trees.

Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadoak wrote:

Also there seem an awful lot of trees in the Forest of Dean, you would need to make a lot to make it look realistic.

Lots of trees..?? Maybe is there something in the name "Forest of Dean" gives that away..?!?! Razz Razz Razz
Sorry, I'm being flippant.. Embarassed

Actually if you look at pictures of the Forest from the 1950s and '60s, there were far less trees in the Forest then than there are now; there have been massive re-planting schemes in the intervening years. Many picture viewpoints of the railways taken back then are totally inaccessible now, so a layout set then wouldn't need as many trees as a modern-day setting. Admittedly, trees in fair quantity would be required for either period... Sad
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have at last made a tentative start on my shunty plank layout. It doesnít have a name yet.
The location is somewhere on the Welsh and English borders, not sure where exactly.
Originally the small station and yard were on a line that carried on for some distance into Wales to an unnamed terminus. After the severe winter weather in 1947 flooding further down the line washed out a bridge and severed the route. It was decided that it would be uneconomic to repair the bridge so the track was lifted back as far as the station I am modelling. This section is still fairly busy because of a quarry and a military establishment. There is also still the local traffic in coal, cattle, sheep and general farm products both in and out.
The period modelled is the early 1950ís.

Pannier 3711 arrives with a small goods working.
The locomotive is a slightly weathered Mainline model with a crew yet to be added.
The road bridge hides the one road fiddle yard.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3711 and its train rolls past the platform and a typical GWR corrugated iron pagoda hut.
The track and scenic dressing is at the very early stages with much yet to be done.

The minimal goods train pulls into the yard. The two wagons are Coopercraft kits.

3711 simmering at the platform while the crew go a get their tea cans filled with water.

Peter
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is looking good.....

did you stay with the inglenook plan? Or have you developed it further?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: