FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And now for something completely different
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a little more work on the shunty plank, nothing major just a bit more work on the scenic side and details on the steam locomotives. Iíve also finalised the end backscene to blend in with the other. Iíve kept it very simple which to my mind seems to work best.
I have taken some pictures to illustrate the progress so far.

I am still not decided on the final position of the coal merchants staithes for instance so they are not glued down. They look almost abstract in the picture which makes the wooden sleepers look lighter than they really are. It is a simple structure made of balsa wood strips cut the same size as sleepers with card to represent metal reinforcement.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These two pictures show a couple of additions to the low relief farmers co-op building. They are a goods dock platform and roof to help add a little interest to this area.

I have now added crew figures to all the steam outline locos, not easy to get hold of so they are all re-painted German figures actually.
I have also added a slacking or pep pipe to the firemanís side of the pannier hanging through the side rail. It is a silly little addition really but I think helps to set off the model. I will add a bucket and fire irons to the brackets at the back of the cab later.
The loco is seen shunting a van destined for the farmers co-op building.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A busy scene in the yard with both the pannier and the 48XX shunting wagons, this loco also has a slacking pipe hanging down on the firemanís side of the cab.

Note the locomotive coaling stage opposite the water tank. It is scratch built with a brick base, concrete top and wood and corrugated iron sides and back. It is very loosely based on several different ones that I liked the look of.
Still a lot more work to do with ground cover etc as can be seen.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two pictures showing the 48xx 0-4-2 tank with a re-painted BR liveried auto coach. Andy Knott kindly gave me the coach which I have now put into service. The two together make a surprisingly long train.
This scene reminds me of when I was a lad and I came back from St Albans to Watford Junction one Sunday evening in the cab of a Stanier 0-4-4 tank no 41908 with the fireman. My dad was with the driver in the auto coach. It was odd to see the regulator moving all on its own. Happy days.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few shots of my latest acquisition, and a model I am very pleased with. It runs superbly and I think looks rather good. I have weathered the bogies and added a third man in the no 2 end, and re-painted the existing crew with light blue overalls. Iíve also toned down the cream instrument panels to a dark grey, not that you can see much with the body on. She is seen working in the yard with a short train of various vans.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About two years ago I decided to dismantle Colonel's Crossing part and extend the Benson section of my American Switching layout.
The GWR shunting plank was mounted on the back of the joining section between CC and Benson. As I no longer needed a joining section I had to find a new home for the GWR plank.
I put it on the top of some cupboards on the opposite wall to the Benson layout. At long last I now have attached a fiddle yard and laid the track so operating can now be done in earnest. It is all very much a work in progress at the present time.

Hopefully the photos will show what the set up looks like now.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been overly impressed with the running qualities of my Hornby 0-4-2 48xx. I have improved the running no end by simply removing the rubber traction tyres. All they seemed to do was keep the wheel tread from keeping proper contact with the rail head. She is only used on light freights or with an autocoach so pulling power is not an issue.
I have also carried out a little bodge on the autocoach. I have removed the hook and curved bar from the coupling on the coach. I have replaced the hook with a small u shaped length of paper clip to make the coupling closer. I have left the wire coupler silver so it can be seen, eventually it will be painted matt black.
This modification looks better and works well both with the loco pushing and pulling. I trust the pictures make all clear.

Peter
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Hornby(Airfix/Dapol) autotank has always had a problem with its centre wheels. I have always removed the traction tyre as its not needed unless you plan to have hill climbs. Its not so much a problem of pickup, but that the loco pivots on the raised edge of the traction tyre.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a little more work on the plank and taken a couple of pictures of my latest acquisitions. They are both Bachmann models and each one runs very well. They have been weathered very slightly. The purchases fit in with my modelling covering from the early fifties through to the mid eighties.
I think the small prairie is a re-vamped Lima model but I think it captures the look of the real locomotive very well.

I was worried about the tension lock couplers having KD's on all my USA stock but I have found whilst shunting I don't notice them.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more pictures of the still un-named plank showing some recent second hand purchases.

A view showing a 57xx pannier tank behind the small coaling stage next to the concrete surface of the goods yard.
The yard surface is made of several layers of card glued to the base board surface. The top layer is an oversize piece of card placed face down on the track that has a coat of acrylic paint on the rail top. With gentle pressure downwards the paint marks the rail edges and the card is cut to the inside mark. The card then fits against the rail edges for a near perfect fit. When the glue is dry I gave the surface several coats of a light grey
concrete colour with thin washes to vary the colour. When thoroughly dry fine black lines drawn with a pen to
represent cracks on the surface were added.

Three pictures showing the 57xx shunting the yard in the mid 1950's.
I have fitted the small tension lock couplings to some Ratio kits that had three link couplings, not a practical proposition with my eyes. All the wagons have been lightly weathered with acrylic paint washes and chalk.
The Clee Hill Granite wagon makes me think the layout is set in the Ludlow area.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48xx no 4869 and a second hand B set with repainted very dark grey roofs and the bogies painted a very dark grey with a little brown colour added. The B set being almost compulsory if modelling a GWR branchline. This shot represents the very early 1950's.

45xx and B set early days of nationalisation again the early fifties. The photo is taken from the road over-bridge. With one brake end coach of the B set one can run a short mixed train, as with the real thing into the early 1960's.

BR class 3 standard with second hand con flat container wagon this would be the late fifties.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just completed the excellent Metcalfe card kit of Bradford on Avon station building, it's not the main building but the one on the west side to Bath. It is pretty large and fills my small platform very well, it gives the passengers protection from the rain as they get into the carriages as well. The GWR pagoda has been moved to the end of the platform, neither building is glued down but merely resting temporarily. I'm in the throes of touching up the raw card edges of the kit.

A couple of views showing the GWR 0-4-2 tank no 4869 with an autocoach. It is the early 1950's but the locomotive is still wearing its original livery.

The Collet 0-4-2 is now seen bringing in a short freight. The shunting over we see a close up of the loco working back to the main line.

A 57xx 0-6-0 pannier tank arrives with a mixed goods train. A cattle wagon is marshalled next to the engine which indicates it is loaded with cattle. If the wagon is empty it can be put anywhere in the train.
I think these are a most attractive locomotive and can remember seeing them working empty carriage stock into Paddington Station on a spotting trip when I was a lad.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming up to the years just before the closure of the line we see a class 108 DMU.
The model is a Bachmann and runs very well indeed. I have bodged a few details onto the buffer beams as they looked a little bare. The pagoda needs glueing in place and more scenic dressing added.

This shot shows the excellent laser cut detail of the iron work in the kit. The locomotive is a Bachmann class 8 0-6-0 shunter again seen shortly before the line's closure.

Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A cattle wagon is marshalled next to the engine which indicates it is loaded with cattle. If the wagon is empty it can be put anywhere in the train.

I never knew that.
Any ideas on the reasoning behind it? I'd have thought being right up next to the loco, the noise of the engine would scare the animals... and we all know what they leave behind after they've been frightened.... Shocked Razz Laughing

Nice pics Peter - the layout crosses "Eras" very well. And the Bachmann 108 is certainly an infinite improvement over the old Lima DMU. Wink
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan,

My understanding of why cattle wagons were put at the front of the train when loaded was because there was less coupling snatch and the wagons rode better at the front. Also in later years some were fitted so next to the engine would give more braking power.

Thanks for your comments, I am trying to cover from the early 1950's until the late 1980's.

Then of course I might have a go at the early days of preservation, although I must admit I prefer the railways as I remember them as a working part of everyday life.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: