FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And now for something completely different
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just treated myself to a model I have long admired and rather fancied for working on the plank.
It was at the Hemel Hempstead show I did last Saturday with Two Sister's Farm and it was on a second hand stall at a bargain price. The stall holder ran it for me, it didn't run very well, but as it was a low price I bought it.
On Sunday morning I cleaned the wheels and found that under the grime the wheel treads look as if the model has not had a lot of use. I cleaned out the perished traction tyres, they are not needed as it will only be pulling a single box van or horse box. I also removed the body and did a thorough lube job on the motor and bogies and re tested it again.

It now runs superbly, slowly and smoothly, far better than I expected it would. The next job is to add crew members and some seated passengers.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is some time since I posted anything on this thread. I have had a rethink about the Metcalfe station building, nice as it is, I think it is too big for my small station. I have now gone back to my assorted Wills kits, although I haven't fixed them down yet.
I have taken a few pictures of my 25 and a bubble car that my old friend Andy Knott gave me and converted some time ago.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bubble car is seen leaving and heading for the junction.

Peter
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1A20? Rolling Eyes Wink

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
1A 20, doesn't mean anything to me either, but as I was given the model I can't complain really, gift horse etc.
All I have done is paint the under frame detail and put a pale track colour wash over the bogies.

You will be pleased to see I have taken your advice and bought a 25/3, in fact I have just bought another, a 25/1 this time. I love em.
Pictures to follow in due course.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been asked to do this on another forum, here are a few photos taken looking down to give an idea of the track plan.
When it was first built it was fixed to the back of my American layout joining section and was only six feet long, the right hand end. Over time it has just grown a bit now I have relocated it.
It's just a bit of fun and somewhere I can run my selection of British locos and stock. The whole thing is about twelve feet long now.

I hope the rather poor pictures are self explanatory starting with the passing loop and long siding, this serves as a sort of fiddle yard. We then progress to the right and the station and yard area.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old friend Andy Knott had a clear out in his loft some time ago and he gave a couple of steam outline locos that he no longer wanted. The first, a Collet 0-6-0 is very useful to me as they were a popular branch line loco. I think the model had been dropped at some time because there was a little damage to the cab that I have now repaired.

A selection of photos of her working in the yard.

Peter
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful loco, that Collet 0-6-0. I recall from a holiday in the early 1960s that they were formerly used on the Cambrian Coast Express (Machynlleth - Pwlleheli section, at least). Not often an 0-6-0 is used on a named express.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you so rightly say Giles a very useful loco the little Collet 0-6-0. I've never heard of an 0-6-0 locomotive working a named train, an unusual occurance surely.
They were used all over the GWR system from the Cambrian coast as you say to the Forest of Dean. I have photographs of them working the Didcot, Newbury Southampton line and even on the Lambourn branch itself, the loco just one coach. The perfect train for us modellers with little space.
I read somewhere in one of the “Firing Days” books that they were popular with the crews who worked with them and said they rode like a small Castle.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the second loco I was given by Andy and is an original Mainline job.
It didn't run very well at first but this was due to paint on the wheel treads. Once this was cleaned a crew added and a bit of general touching up she performs quite well.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Collet 0-4-2 I bought new, just because I liked it. What better reason is there than that.
The autocoach was another gift from Andy and is slightly darker than it should be really. Together though they make an attractive looking train.

The station now has a name, Willingford which I found in my scrap box, I can't remember where it came from, a Will's kit I suspect.

Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a "Like" button to click, to register appreciation of great posts and photos like these!! Laughing
I like the 'scenic staging/fiddle yard' idea. It always strikes me as a bit of a waste on a home layout to have hidden sidings. Seperated from the main scene, by all means - but hidden..?? Why..??!!?? Shocked Confused
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan,

I'm glad you like the open fiddle yard idea. I've done the same on Benson and after a while they just become yard tracks and you don't really notice them.
The pictures I've posted in another place where you can show your likes, but don't tell Bob. Twisted Evil Sorry Bob couldn't resist that.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BR Standard prairie I have never seen a real one but I do like the look of them.
As a lad I lived close to Bushey troughs on the old LNWR main west coast line and saw the bigger 2-6-4 Brighton tanks on suburban trains regularly, several were shedded at Watford.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another example of I bought it just because I like it.
This 108 set originally had three cars but I only have got room for two.
It was a bargain from that large emporium in Liverpool. It's a nicely done model that runs well and looks better for the under frame being picked out I think.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: