FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lyddlow Goods O Scale microlayout...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Lyddlow Goods O Scale microlayout... Reply with quote

Lyddlow Goods is an O Scale layout originally built by Bob Blackcloud of this Parish... it is a whopping 5 feet long in total. Who says they've no room for O Scale?

It's called "Lyddlow" as it's a "Little O" layout... geddit?!? Yes, it's terrible isn't it Razz Rolling Eyes Laughing
It is just two short tracks serving a warehouse and loading platform- there are no points, it is served by a simple 'cassette'.
These pics were taken about 18 months or so ago...

Someone has found a spare corner of the yard useful as a dumping ground ...

Observant viewers will notice the "moggy on a Moggy"... Wink

The view from the gateway into the yard is quite impressive, for such a small layout, I think...

Finally, I was going to do one of those "gratuitous Silly pics" with a 57ft US Reefer at the platform. The good old British loading gauge defeated me however; there wasn't enough clearance...

...so I had to make do with this as the "silly pic"; D6320 fills up the yard...

My lad's ideas of what looks realistic have yet to be 'fine-tuned', though... Shocked Laughing

Unfortunately his grasp of "realism" is a bit different to mine...

My attempts to run US stock failed... he's managed it though...(sort of...)!!

Okay it's not going to take any Expresses with ten on, but it provides a very relaxing half-hour or so of gentle shunting, shuffling a few wagons around, and is quick to set up. My lad and his mate run it regularly. There must be a moral about layout size in there, somewhere!!!. Shocked
Bungus The Fogeyman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheres the 'Like' button!!

DOMH
Janner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really is super Jordan, I love it Very Happy

John Chapman
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see it's still doing the job it was built for, an easy to set up shunty plank and a compact home base for the senior scale. Very Happy

Incidentally, the layout shown in these photos is the rebuilt version using John Teal's scenic flats for the warehouses. the original version can be seen here.

Among other projects on the back burner is a plan to build Lyddlow MkIII, about two thirds of the size and inspired by Colin French's "Wagon Works". It may be a while before I get round to it though. Rolling Eyes

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janner wrote:
That really is super Jordan, I love it Very Happy

I can't take any credit; 99% of it was done by Bob. I have added the silver 'roller shutter' door to the warehouse, a footpath on the overbridge, and the derelict Morris Minor. The other British cars were from Bob too; the American ones are from my other layout!

Lyddlow MkIII sounds interesting!!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been looking for something else in my Photobucket album and found these...

Apologies for the fridge magnet, it's an old film, you can be assured that none of my current layouts carry it.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That space behind the gate does attract motor cars!! Laughing

I must get some more 'loads' to put on it, to stop it from having an authentic 1960's "Just prior to Closure" look... Embarassed which it most certainly isn't!!!
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still alive & kicking, & very much an active layout; Lyddlow Goods welcomes my latest loco, the new Dapol 08...

The pics are a bit dark as the layout has been relocated under my main US layout in the loft, but does have it's own lighting from a kitchen 'under cupboards' unit, sold at Lidl recently.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see it again. I notice the traffic jam on the bridge has cleared but that police van is still lurking, haven't they got any baddies to chase? I'm sure the Triumph Herald isn't a potential getaway car!

Nice Gronk, perfect for little layouts like this. Weathering to come or keeping it as new? The new crane looks good too.

Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, yes we still get a great deal of pleasure from this little layout Very Happy
The crane is the Peco Yard Crane but without most of the base; I'm afraid the original 'Biro Special' succumbed a while ago to old age & enthusiastic re-positioning!!
I will weather the 08 eventually - it needs a few livery tweaks anyway as Dapol chose some obscure variations, such as black cab roof, missing side wasp stripes at the front, & red connecting rods. I also got the un-numbered version so that is also to do.
johno

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just catching up with thi now. Great layout. Has got me thinking.......Could it be done in OO and what size of baseboard would be needed?
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember thinking when Bob first posted pictures that something similar would work even better in Gauge One.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno wrote:
Just catching up with thi now. Great layout. Has got me thinking.......Could it be done in OO and what size of baseboard would be needed?

Depends on what sort of stock you want to run on it. The scenic section is about the length of five wagons. Add a couple of inches for the roadway on the bridge and a cassette fiddleyard capable of holding a loco and three wagons.

It could be a virtually pocket sized layout using British steam era wagons and a Gronk in N!

Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruedetropal wrote:
I remember thinking when Bob first posted pictures that something similar would work even better in Gauge One.

I do wonder if this layout would be as effective in the smaller scales (OO & N) if built to the same relative proportions. The models would lose not only the 'presence' of O, but the scale 3-link couplings also slow down the pace, & give the operator more involvement in proceedings than automatic couplings would.
I think this concept would work really well in Gauge 1 - or even larger!!
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyddlow had a visitor today...

My lad is losing interest in trains these days, as at age 13 he succumbs to the usual teenage pursuits - football & music (& girls to come, no doubt!! Rolling Eyes ) but his 16yr-old mate is still trains mad, and on the wave of the O Scale R-T-R boom, this is his first O Scale loco.

There must be a wye, or a turntable, somewhere near Lyddlow, however, going by the next pictures....

Nice to know too, that there are still youngsters interested in trains, and getting involved in the hobby!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: