FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WINKFORD - a OO9 layout
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to stretch the rr loop by punching a hole in the sky at the far end of the layout to allow the loco headshunt to disappear behind the trees or even extending the loop into the trees and onto a short off stage sector plate?

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This response is actually to your latest blog post about "Winkford"; for some reason it wouldn't let me answer so I've put it on here:
FWIW I think I would go for a loop and a siding over an Inglenook; you'll be able to run a greater variety of stock.
If you want to add operational interest, how about a cattle dock up by the headshunt? The plan would then be pretty similar to Martin Brent's original "Arcadia" which was a lovely little layout.
Be interested to see what you come up with,
Regards,
Simon H
mog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks All. I agree with all of you! Very Happy

If I follow my 'gut' - I'd go for the loop and some passenger facility. However, I also agree with Colin for the same reasons.

Looks like I may have to shuffle things around again.

One restriction I was giving myself was to use the three points and track that I have to hand. But now I'm starting to consider hand-laying track and using some smaller points.

Bob - probably but I'd rather not start hacking at the wood work if i can avoid it. Wink

Mogtrains2 at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.com/
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKcRvdN719g66eDzc2iUN1w
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you introduce a slight gradient on the main and the loop this would mean that the sector plate could sit on top of the existing baseboard rather than being let into it. It would also introduce a height differential between the main and the siding in the yard.

If your stock is free rolling enough for the gradient to cause problems a simple rod that lifts up between the rails to catch an axle would work as a brake.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
If you introduce a slight gradient on the main and the loop this would mean that the sector plate could sit on top of the existing baseboard rather than being let into it. It would also introduce a height differential between the main and the siding in the yard.

If your stock is free rolling enough for the gradient to cause problems a simple rod that lifts up between the rails to catch an axle would work as a brake.

Are you thinking an Inglenook with gravity shunting, Bob?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't, but now you mention it an Inglenook with the approach track on a falling gradient would allow for gravity run-round. Stop short of the sidings, uncouple the loco then allow the train to run into the yard, something akin to one of the versions of the Craig and Mertonford IIRC. This would mean that passenger trains could also be run because there would be no need for propelling the trains onto the layout.

I do wish you would stop making suggestions like this Giles. Razz

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think passenger trains ran round by gravity at Eyemouth (and probably some other places too - including Canterbury Road on the East Kent Railway). At Eyemouth the train stopped at the platform for passengers to disembark, then reversed back up the hill to leave the coaches there with the brakes on. The engine then retreated to a siding in the yard so that the coaches could coast down and be stopped by the guard at the platform.

On a similar note I saw a layout at a show recently where they gravity shunted empty coaches from the sidings into the platform. This was based on Penzance where apparently this used to happen. Don't know how it worked in N gauge, but I suspect a motorised bogie in the van of the coaches,
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leicester North layout at Manchester show last year had loose vans running out of the goods shed into the yard, as if representing horse or pinchbar shunting. Not sure if it was done with magnets or if the vans were motorised but it looked good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: