FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slimming for bodgers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Slimming for bodgers Reply with quote

Following discussion on the NGRM forum where it was pointed out that my wagons were too wide for 18" gauge I have slimmed two of them down...

Cheap and cheerful OO to O9 conversions. Very Happy

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go with these wagons I've started work on a cut and shut job to fit the diecast body from an Ertl "Rusty" onto a Bachmann N gauge diesel chassis.

Quite a bit to do yet, not least opening out the front window of the cab, but I reckon it'll be a convincing little critter once it's finished.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it'll be hard work to open out the windows, but worth it. The body's weight should certainly help the running and haulage. The chopped body has a great appearance already, even before it's finished.
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Rust".... Laughing a clue to it's finished state, maybe..?? Wink

That front windscreen reminds me more of a Welder's Visor !!! Cool
With a totally new body, though, at least it'll look very different from most Plymouth "conversions", where a larger cab is grafted on to what then looks like an impossibly small hood.....
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Looks like it'll be hard work to open out the windows, but worth it.

Yer not wrong there Giles!

Actually it's not as bad as it looks, the plan is to rebuild the front wall of the cab with Milliput so the opening was delibrately made over size, there are a few other dings as well, made when the drill slipped, but these will add to the battered appearance of a well used loco.

Using this many times read and re-read book as a guide.

Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey I'm impressed by the middle picture - I didn't realise it was actually quite so close to a prototype!! Shocked Cool
Well done Bob!!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan wrote:
I didn't realise it was actually quite so close to a prototype!
Errm, depends upon how you look at it. As made, the Ertl version is too long in the bonnet but it does have the right number of wheels. Embarassed

Ruston offered some larger six wheelers but my version is obviously one which escaped their records department when it was built as a one off for the Lochside Estate & Fisheries Lt Rly. Perhaps the steep gradients involved, combined with the West Highlands' infamously wet weather and the line's route through wooded areas demanded the extra axle for traction but the tight curves meant that it still had to be a short wheelbase? Laughing

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cab front is now looking much healthier than it did yesterday. Very Happy

Still requires some work to provide bufferbeams/ballast weights to disguise the area above the couplings and the paint job is only temporary, it will be more rust and gunge than paint anyway. Rolling Eyes

giles b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice blue sea! I know I've seen that water-effect sheet somewhere - is it a Faller or Kibri product? I'd always wondered how one would disguise the edges for a large area, but for this shape it's perfect. Shame there's no room for a beach scene.

The new diesel's coming on a treat, too.

Does the layout have a name?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The layout is called Lochside. It's the terminus of the 18 inch gauge Lochside Estate and Fisheries Light Railway and being built as part of the "2 foot square" challenge over on Model Railway Layouts.

giles b wrote:
I know I've seen that water-effect sheet somewhere - is it a Faller or Kibri product?
Really Giles! Plastic sheets of "water" cost serious beer tokens. Shocked

This water's done Blackcloud Railways style (AKA on the cheap). Wink

From the plywood up it is filler to get the rippled surface.

Painted blue, then toned down a bit with green in places and grey where the slipway "goes under".

Then coated with neat PVA to give it some depth.

The first application of PVA has now set so I'll be daubing some more on later tonight, it usually takes three or four coats to get the desired effect.

Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent water effect there!! Idea
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I should have known, as I did wonder how you'd managed the look of the underwater slipway with the commercial sheet. Very nice job. Somewhere I've got a How-to article on the very subject, clipped out of an old American modelling magazine.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the loco and a cruel close up of the cab with its curtain to keep the driver dry/warm/hidden from midges...

Ballast weights added front and rear, to tidy up the areas above the couplers, and the radiator painted. It does not bear close scutiny but it's not meant to be a showcase model and looks OK under the three foot rule (ie normal layout viewing distance).

I'm going to let the paint set for a few days before sanding down the rougher bits and touching it up with green or rust as required.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Minitrix 27 chassis which was last used some twenty or more years ago as the mechanism in a motoried OO9 coach. Having tested it this morning and found it to be in good working order (after light oiling of the gears) I have set about building an O9 loco to fit.

These are work in progress pics so please excuse the rough edges. Embarassed

It was originally going to be a centre cab but I prefer the off set design, which also means I don't have to bother quite so much about getting the two bonnets to match each other. Laughing

giles b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting start to the new loco. Do I detect a cardboard under-body? If so (and with the coffee stirrers) it's a real "penny-project" unless you're contemplating adding some metal cast details.....no I know you better than that Exclamation Very Happy

What's the new building beside the track? It almost looks like a small station, so is this a passenger loco, perhaps?

Don't know if it's just the perspective in the picture, but the orange door to the Estate & Fisheries office looks very small compared to the thoughtful-looking gent in the fore-ground. Recycled 00 gauge structure???

Whatever, the whole scene is coming together really nicely. Looks as if end-on layouts are the coming thing for 2012.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: