FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slimming for bodgers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny pinching special as far as the loco goes Giles, there is a heavy card sub structure (Next catalogue covers), which is a push fit on the chassis, gradually disappearing under the coffee stirrers. I might splash out and buy a bell to go on the short hood, there's a haberdashery on Crewe market which sells small bell shaped toggles individually.

Quote:
What's the new building beside the track? It almost looks like a small station, so is this a passenger loco, perhaps?

Something to do with the fisheries store. Definitely not a station (and not a passenger loco either) though, the LE&FLR is a freight only operation. Laughing

Quote:

... the orange door to the Estate & Fisheries office looks very small compared to the thoughtful-looking gent in the fore-ground. Recycled 00 gauge structure???

It's actually war gaming scenery, a tad under size but near enough for me.
http://www.sarissa-precision.co.uk/store/oldwesthr/

There's another new building under construction to the right of the estate office. This is also rail served as can be seen by the (dummy) siding extending through it. The main purpose of this building is to give the impression that there's a lot more railway beyond the backscene. Wink

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks or the link to Sarissa, Bob. An interesting selection of buildings; the classic railroad station might also be of interest to users of this site, but otherwise I think you picked the most adaptable design - though it took me some time to see the differences in the thumbnails of the 5 variations.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Mosby has used the Sarissa models on his On30 layout to very good effect...
http://crmodellers.phpbbhosts.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=108&start=64

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new loco's bodywork is now more or less complete and just needs some light sanding before it is painted. I've not attached the cab roof yet, this will be done after painting.

Thinking about a fleet number for it. How about 66, because it's a shed? Laughing

OK, it's not pretty, it's not going to win prizes for craftsmanship either, but it will pull a good sized train if needed and, above all, it was cheap.

Edit - Adding this photo, loco now painted.

alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love it!

now what you need is a myriad of small details, to really 'lift' it?

Couple of lights?

Maybe a bell?

some hose pipe coiled.....maybe a rope or chain?

[I constantly gaze at a photo of a German Kof.....picking out the detail....a new one I've found is....a large coiled orange extension lead with two [blue] heavy duty waterproof plugs. Typical of what one buys in B&Q?]

Bucket? Tools?

The loco becomes the model you adorn?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More bodging, this time with a Kato N scale DMU chassis.

Having stuck the bits of wood together the freight motor body is now a push fit on the chassis... This means that I can build another one to swap as required, so a passenger railcar might get built as well.

Still work in progress but I've done for the day now because I'm waiting for the glue to set fully before taking a file to the rough edges.

The hood is from a dismantled Mack (the van body went here). The exposed bit of the chassis casting will become the driver's seat.

Not sure about the open cab yet, it may get an enclosed one instead.

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me little of the paraffin-fired loco on the Nocton Estate line, but a sort of centre-cab version. You'll have to be careful loading the front end, or the driver won't see much!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up bright and early again this morning, don't ya jus' love insomnia? Sad

At least it gives plenty of opportunity for uninterrupted modelling before the sprogs are awake though.

This is obviously a hard worked vehicle judging by the wear on the flatbeds.

The slight difference in size between the two Mack hoods will not normally be apparent because the layout is not wired for two train operation. I have some figures on order which should include at least one sitting person suitable for use as a driver on the freight motor but the option is still there to build an enclosed cab if needed.

Giles, if the load on the front bed is too high to see over the driver can always hop off and walk alongside to see where he's going. The Kato mechanism under the freight motor is an excellent slow runner. Very Happy

alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the driver can always hop off and walk alongside to see where he's going.

do I detect the onset of an animated figure here?

Regarding the two hood sizes?

The smaller one [without the Mack logo] could well be [passed off as?] an early Renault?

They too had a habit of building motors face-about-backside....

the radiator positioned right in front of the driver's toes was a useful by-product in that era of hardiness..
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animation? No, the "hop off and walk" is for management's information. In practice it would be "drive blind and hope for the best while keeping your toes cosy".

Renault? [fake gallic accent]Pah, I spit on all automotive things French.[/fake gallic accent] Laughing

I reckon both came from US army trucks left in the UK and demobbed before being converted to narrow gauge locos.

alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHA...then it will be ''Big Mack'' and 'Mini Mack?'

Or...'plastic Mack?'

OOOOOOOO...plastic macks.. every flashers' dream...
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:

Renault? [fake gallic accent]Pah, I spit on all automotive things French.[/fake gallic accent] Laughing

Do they work better if you do..?? Razz Laughing

You shouldn't have mentioned the difference in hood sizes, Bob... I had to go back and check... Embarassed Love the inventiveness behind these models!!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An HOe coach arrived by post today. A few coffee stirrers and an hour later it was a flatcar. Very Happy

alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does that mean the bodyshell is to become a railcar on something else?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a small coach on the standard gauge Foxbaile Light Railway. It's the nearest I've got to a suitable home for it at the moment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: