FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pick and mix micro layouts.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentrebrac has been unexpectedly boosted up the order of construction. I have decided to show it as a static display at our exhibition next month.

The backscene has been fixed to the backboard about half an inch higher than the baseboard. The reasoning for this will become more apparent as the scenery is added with a slight rise in ground level to soften the transfer from layout to backscene.

The third track has been removed from the layout in order to enable the retaining wall to be used as part of the bridge abutment and also to allow a slightly more spacious appearance to the goods yard.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been some progress on Pentrebrac since I last posted. The platform has been treated to brick paper walls and plastic strip edging stones with sand between them for the gravel surface. The ground level has been built up at the rear to match the backscene and first task this morning was painting the rails. The was done with little care as the whole track will be painted again once the rust colour has dried.

The layout was set aside until after lunch when the track was painted all-over grey. This coat was applied fairly thinly at first so that some of the rust shows through on the rails then a less diluted coat was added to ensure that the ballast and sleepers were more or less the same colour, then I applied a very dark grey (not quite black) for the oil stains on the track where the trains stand at the platform and another, almost black, for around the coal bins.

I mixed a slightly different shade of grey for the road surface, this was applied unevenly to give the effect of some weathering from traffic. Further shades of grey were mixed for the platform surface and coping stones, also the roofs of the coal merchant's hut and the goods office. When the paint on the platform edges had almost dried it was scraped off to reveal the plastic underneath, giving a neat white line along the edge.

Green matting from a hanging basket liner, pulled off its woven backing and glued in place, forms the basis for the overgrown areas of the layout. This will be covered with differing shades of green flock. The roadway in the goods yard is still not quite right, I'll need to let the glue dry fully before attempting to recolour this area though.

The last few photos were taken just to get a feel for the station. It is slowly growing on me and I'm starting to feel at home here!

The old stables.

The coal merchant's shanty.

The goods office (in a grounded van body since the original burnt down some years ago).

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got two packets of light green grass yesterday to put on top of the hanging basket liner, unfortunately I did not notice that it was the wrong sort until I'd opened one of them this morning. I've used it anyway but will need to get some of the flock type to go over this with. No great hardship, I always build up the scenery in layers anyway.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following a suggestion on RMweb by Will Ayerst I have added a left hand "wing" to the layout. This frames the scene well and I think it definitely looks better with than without.

The scenery is not completed yet as I am waiting for the glue and filler to dry before blending the new addition in with the existing baseboard. The backscene is a mismatch but a little touching up with grey paint and a few strategically placed bushes will do the trick.

Meanwhile, elsewhere (not quite true, it's still in my back yard!) and in another (On30) scale...

Death of a Railway

The final bell tolled for the Borchester Midland today. This OO layout was built as an extension for Cotton Lane and was well received when shown at Glossop several years ago. However, the combined Cotton Lane/Borchester layout was too big for home use and the extension has languished at the bottom of the pile in the shed since.

I bit the bullet today and took a hammer and chisel to the scenery.

Birth of a Railway

The rails were removed then the baseboard shortened to 3ft 6in and turned over ready to become Cuarto de Pulgada station, terminus of the Pampas and Fernandez Consolidated Railway.

The low relief post office structure will not be quite that tall when finished, the ground floor will be cut to match the height of the trains and a couple of loading doors constructed. The front track will be ballasted and weed strewn but the two spurs at the back will be inlaid into the platform surface, the platform edge being represented by the stripwood in the photos.

The fiddleyard end of the layout will be an overbridge, possibly a footbridge or cart track. I know that a level crossing would be more in keeping but need the bridge to hide the hole in the sky where the trains disappear offstage.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been quite a bit of progress on the Pampas and Fernandez since my last post, here is the current state of play...

The ground cover has been built up using filler, bird grit, bird sand and chinchilla sand to get a dry dusty look to the area. One of my favourite aspects of this hobby is civil engineering in miniature and bridges in particular. The scenic break at the end of Cuarto de Pulgada station will have rendered brick abutments and a wooden span.

The main beams are made from rocket sticks, salvaged while walking the dog after last year's bonfire night, and the plywood deck will be topped with coffee stirrers (the ONLY reason to visit McDonalds). These will also be used for the parapets. Because of its vulnerable position and fragile nature the bridge will be removable, this will also give me better access for cleaning the track and turnout beneath the bridge.

The PVA/filler mixture on the first coat of rendering has run a little on the retaining wall to the right but this will be covered by a second coat at a later stage.

If anyone's contemplating modelling (North or South) American but cannot decide on a scale the photo below may be of interest. The On30 car in the middle shows how you can have the detail and that "presence" that the senior scale has in not much more than the area needed for HO.

The O scale car is a Lionel coarse scale model, it was originally going to be cut in two lengthways and repainted to be used as a pair of low relief standard gauge boxcars on a transhipment spur for the backdrop but I can't bring myself to take a saw to it.

Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcloud wrote:

I like that jolly figure there, Bob, what make is that?
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud can I just say this looks like a very nice layout. I appreciate the way you post photos showing each stage of condtruction. It's an inspiration.

I tried 0N30 when bachman first brought theirline out, but didn't stick with it. This layout is a great ambassador for the scale.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan - He's from Model Power's O Scale Fat People set - Item 490-6062

I tried uploading this video to Photobucket yesterday, but it would not work for some reason, I did manage a slightly shorter version but here's the full film. Click on the image above or this link to take a look around.

Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Bob- I seem to have missed this in the last couple of weeks. It feels quite spacious when I look on the video. It's encouraging to see that I'm not alone in planning to cover the SG sleepers on my model. I like the Gnomy van repaint too...
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay; this next Q can either be classed under "Learn something new every day" or more likely the "Display your ignorance for all to see" category Rolling Eyes Embarassed , but here goes anyway...

Re the red tanker wagon in the video; what's "Potable Water" when it's at home then???
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pot-able, capable of being put in a pot. Twisted Evil

Actually it is drinking water, in some arid areas drinking water is still carried by train as there is no local supply.

In fact this is not as foreign a practice as it may sound at first. The Cromford and High Peak line in Derbyshire ran over an upland, limestone, area with very little surface water and carried supplies for the static winding engines in former steam loco tenders until it closed in the '60s.

The tank car has been repainted since the video was made (it would not have carried English lettering on the P&F) but will be retained in water service.

Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcloud wrote:
Pot-able, capable of being put in a pot. Twisted Evil

As opposed to water that isn't capable of being put in a pot??!?! Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Wink

Thanks anyway, Bob, I think my Q will have to go in the "Displaying ignorance" after all... Embarassed
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcloud wrote:

The tank car has been repainted since the video was made (it would not have carried English lettering on the P&F) but will be retained in water service.

How about Agua Potabile ? is that real Spanish or Spanglish?

Giles
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tweedsmuir Street is the ideal size to hide the fiddleyard on some of my other layouts. I like this idea because it presents a better frontage at exhibitions than a plain board hiding the off stage area. It also means that I can take the N scale micro layout to exhibitions as a secondary display, it would be a bit cheeky to ask an exhibition manager to accept it as a stand alone exhibit!

The layout sits on a CD rack to lift it above the table level and differentiate it from the main exhibit.

When using Tweedsmuir Street as a screen for Lyddlow's cassette at Rainhill I noticed that several small children kept trying to watch the O gauge train round the end of the N scale layout. (Why do the little b's always want to see behind the scenes?).

Anyway, back home again, an end board has been made for the CD rack. It slots in either end of the rack so it can be used when Tweedsmuir Street is accompanying layouts with left or right handed fiddleyards.

When in transit the end board fits sideways on in the CD rack with the stock and controllers inside the rack and the layout sits on top with the extension lead coiled inside the fiddleyard. The whole lot can then be carried under one arm. Much to the envy of other exhibitors, still taking their layouts apart as I walk out of the door on Sundays! Very Happy

Tweedsmuir Street will be displayed on the Crewe MR&ES stand at their Toy and Train Fair this coming Saturday. 1030-1500 at the Oakley Centre, West Street, Crewe.

Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of shielding the Fiddle yard with another layout- more value for money for the visitors, and a great excuse for another Micro...

blackcloud wrote:

When in transit the end board fits sideways on in the CD rack with the stock and controllers inside the rack and the layout sits on top with the extension lead coiled inside the fiddleyard. The whole lot can then be carried under one arm. Much to the envy of other exhibitors, still taking their layouts apart as I walk out of the door on Sundays! Very Happy

I remember seeing something similar when I attended an exhibition for the organisation I was working for. We took a day to set up our screen and all the other stuff in our area, and after being driven mad for a week by the video we took a day to break it all down. Meanwhile a charity opposite from us set up their entire stall in an hour. And it looked better to boot...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 2 of 40

Jump to: