FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pick and mix micro layouts.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I has been just over a week now since we last visited Cuarto de Pulgada. After a brief sojourn to greener parts (Lyddlow and Tweedsmuir Street at Rainhill show last weekend then Tweedsmuir Street at Crewe toyfair yesterday) it has become apparent that the sun has been shining while we were away as can be seen in this picture of the station gateway.

More cracks have also appeared along the wall and under the bridge, some of these I'll leave as they are but some I'll fill with a thin dusting of chinchilla sand.

The plywood base at the rear of the bridge has been coated with modelling clay top and bottom. I'm hoping that this will hold the plywood to the desired shape where the road dips away from the bridge. As the bridge is removable the plywood will need to hold this shape when lifted off the support at the rear. It will be further reinforced when the wall at the fiddleyard side is added.

The bridge itself has had a layer of coffee stirrers added. At the moment there is a second sheet of plywood sitting on top of the bridge (separated from the stirrers with by clingfilm) and a heavy weight holding everything flat. When the glue dries these will be filed to the correct length and more trim added to the bridge's woodwork.

Further to yesterday's toyfair, I picked up this rather nice looking O scale truck while I was there.

Perfect for the White Star Mining Company to collect supplies from the trains.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Park Hall Halt Reply with quote

My first exhibition layout, 24 yeards ago, was based loosely on a prototype operation but this is my
first attempt at making an accurate model of a real place.

The photos below show views from corresponding locations on the model and the prototype.

1. From the bridge, facing the platform.

2. From the bridge, looking over the platform.

3. Under the bridge, looking towards the station buildings.

4. Along the line towards Oswestry.

5. Along the line towards Gobowen.

6. From the lineside.

The remains of the original pre-war platform are to be modelled as a grass covered bank
at the Oswestry end of the station.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Its also good for me to remember that 'small space' and 'real location' are compatible.
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, nice one Bob!
That Hornby bridge isn't too far out either is it? You might want to take off the 13'6" signs though Laughing Obviously they're road signs, but the subtle error is that they're also wrong- it is Hornby after all Rolling Eyes . I have that bridge & I measured a clear 70mm from floor to deck- it scales out at 17' 6" in 4mm and 20' in HO- both heights way above the 16'6" below which a bridge should be marked as "low"...!!!!
mog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant Bob! (No.. that's not my nickname for you.. just accidental aliteration.. although 'Brilliant Bob' does have a certain ring to it Very Happy Very Happy )

Anyway - nice idea and looks v promising.

Mogtrains2 at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.com/
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKcRvdN719g66eDzc2iUN1w
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park Hall is designed to be part of a large modular layout at the next Cheshire Railway Modellers exhibition. This layout will be fiddleyard to fiddleyard via the assembled modules, I have started work on a pair of simple fiddleyard boards for each end of this assembly which can also be used with Park Hall (or any of the other modules) alone. As can be seen below, the assembled triplet of Park Hall Halt sandwiched between the two fiddleyards is already quite a large layout (huge by my standards) and has had to be assembled on the living room floor because this is biggest flat area in the house!

There's no wiring yet so I can't run the train but I have pushed a string of wagons through at speed and they ran OK over the four inch bridge sections. The video below gives a better overview of the assembly and highlights the bridge sections that will be used between each individual members' section of the layout giving a series of unconnected vignettes so that the scenery does not need to be continuous throughout. We have adopted this approach because the modules will not be assembled before the show and it would not be possible to get matching scenery throughout because the layout is being built in separate locations around the country.

Vid link

I have resisted the urge to change my signature, regardless of Martin's comments. Very Happy

Piermaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F-UnitMad wrote:
Hey, nice one Bob!
That Hornby bridge isn't too far out either is it? You might want to take off the 13'6" signs though Laughing Obviously they're road signs, but the subtle error is that they're also wrong- it is Hornby after all Rolling Eyes . I have that bridge & I measured a clear 70mm from floor to deck- it scales out at 17' 6" in 4mm and 20' in HO- both heights way above the 16'6" below which a bridge should be marked as "low"...!!!!

That's interesting Jordan, when I worked in London Transport's Bridges & Structures Office, we were told that although a bridge is marked 16ft 6ins, its actual road clearance at centre line was 17ft 6ins - the 'hidden' one foot was to allow for drivers who actually didn't know their vehicle heights!

Dave
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piermaster wrote:
F-UnitMad wrote:
...the 16'6" below which a bridge should be marked as "low"...!!!!

That's interesting Jordan, when I worked in London Transport's Bridges & Structures Office, we were told that although a bridge is marked 16ft 6ins, its actual road clearance at centre line was 17ft 6ins - the 'hidden' one foot was to allow for drivers who actually didn't know their vehicle heights!

Dave

Yes, Dave, that makes sense to me- the 16'6" (or whatever) marking is supposed (as far as I know) to be the maximum vehicle height allowed, and of course the marked vehicle height might not be 100% accurate, though if you have a 14'6" trailer I think it might be a brave or foolish Driver who attempts to take it under a bridge marked at that precise height- just in case!!! I wouldn't like to have to explain it to the Plod if I got it wrong ....again... (hit a bridge in 2003... a long story & my own fault entirely Embarassed Rolling Eyes )
I think allowance also has to be made for if the road is resurfaced, if the new tarmac is a bit thicker than before...
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F-UnitMad wrote:

I think allowance also has to be made for if the road is resurfaced, if the new tarmac is a bit thicker than before...

Middlewich Street in Crewe is still cobbled where it runs under the WCML in order not to raise the road surface under the low bridge.

The most unexcusable bridgebash I have seen was in Glossop where a bin wagon hit the railway bridge over Arundel Street, it's one thing for a driver who doesn't know the area to hit a bridge but the council employees should have a vague idea about the bridge which is less than of a mile from their depot!

Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcloud wrote:
it's one thing for a driver who doesn't know the area to hit a bridge but the council employees should have a vague idea about the bridge which is less than of a mile from their depot!

The bridge I hit (at Romsey near Southampton) I knew all about- I'd been going that way twice a week for 2 years!!! It was when someone else swapped my unit onto another trailer I didn't notice at 4am in the dark that the height sign on it was "4.5m" not "4.2m" like every other trailer the company had... 4.2m is 13'9" which fits under a 14'3" bridge... 4.2m is 14'9" which doesn't... Embarassed Embarassed Rolling Eyes Sad
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a quick update from Park Hall. The scenery has been started using screwed up newspaper (at the bridge end) and expanded polystyrene, these were then covered with filler and allowed to set before being painted green as the base coat under the scatter. The square lump between the platform ramp and the rising ground at the Oswestry end is deliberate, it is the remains of the pre-war platform and can still be clearly made out under all the weeds at the site.

Platform edging is coffee stirrers with the tarmac being done using chinchilla sand on both the platform and the road. The track is painted then ballasted using Geoscenics reddish brown grit, I prefer this colour to the usual grey seen on most layouts because it looks as if the track is weathered with brake dust due to the units stopping at the halt. I originally painted the backdrop blue but then decided to add a printed backscene. The gaps at the bottom of the backscene will be covered with grass/bushes later.

The backscene used is a good match for the scenery around this area of Shropshire though the house behind the station is not identical to the one a little way down the road in real life. I've not finished gluing the backsecene at the Gobowen end, having knocked off at lunchtime yesterday and not resumed yet - but there's no rush.

Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I think you've built three models in the time I've built one. Looking good too... I'm glad to find I'm not the only one using crumpled newspaper for scenery.
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korschtal wrote:
Bob, I think you've built three models in the time I've built one.

I haven't even built one...!!! I've been working on a new roof for Birmingham Sutton Road though, which in turn has distracted me from even starting any scenery yet on Withyn Reach... Rolling Eyes Laughing Wink
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F-UnitMad wrote:
Korschtal wrote:
Bob, I think you've built three models in the time I've built one.

I haven't even built one...!!! I've been working on a new roof for Birmingham Sutton Road though, which in turn has distracted me from even starting any scenery yet on Withyn Reach... Rolling Eyes Laughing Wink

The roof on Sutton Road drove me to distraction, which is why it didn't get finished, I'll be interested to see how you complete the structure so keep us posted! Wink

Jordan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcloud wrote:
The roof on Sutton Road drove me to distraction, which is why it didn't get finished, I'll be interested to see how you complete the structure so keep us posted! Wink

Well for one thing I've decided the lack of Overhead in some pics can be explained because it's been removed while the roof is refurbished Laughing Wink ... wouldn't want any workers frying themselves to a turn on 25Kv AC by accident would we...???
Rolling Eyes Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 3 of 40

Jump to: