FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pick and mix micro layouts.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Pick and mix micro layouts. Reply with quote

San Vince de Rey can be a stand alone exhibit due to the operational complexities of an Inglenook style layout, but these six miniature model railways are intended for exhibition as a display of three or four at once.

1. San Vince de Rey is an industrial area of a Californian city. The yard is served by the Union Pacific Railroad. This micro-layout, built on a small sandwich tray, has an on stage area of 90 square inches, with the fiddleyard making it up to a square foot. The trackplan is an Inglenook shunting puzzle with siding lengths of 2, 2 & 3 giving a capacity of 6 freight cars in 7 spots. To operate the puzzle three cards, each representing one of the freight cars, are picked at random, these designate which cars have to be spotted on the long siding for loading.

2. Earles Quay represents a compact quayside scene with two sidings entering from the right. One of these runs through the loading dock of the foreground warehouse which acts as a viewblock. The layout also has moving road traffic, a couple of Trackside series OO scale die-cast vehicles have been attached to very thin wire so that they can be 'driven' through the loading bay from the fiddleyard when there is no rail traffic in the bay.

3. Tai-Fu is a small wayside station located where a mountain railway reverses at one end of a zig-zig to gain height. The layout is intended to be of a whimsical nature and is populated with cartoon type characters. Railway modelling is meant to be fun.

Earles Quay and Tai-Fu are built on identical tea-trays, showing that size and scale are not directly related, and exhibited as a pair. The scenic section of each layout is 11? x 6? inches, that's just over half a square foot each. They are mounted on a small baseboard to hold both trays with hidden tracks between them. The layouts are presented as two tea trays on a table with a menu style notice between them to describe the models and hide the off stage tracks. The photo below shows the twins, along with San Vince de Rey, set up as a display.

4. Tue Mill (think 2mm to the foot) is a micro layout at 22x4 inches. It represents a factory yard in the 1960s served from a nearby industrial complex railway such as Trafford Park in Manchester. The three sidings run under the road bridge and are shunted by means of an off-stage sector plate. The wagon turntable in the foreground is not operational.

5. Schlafrigetal took just under a week to construct. It is a simple diorama depicting a girder bridge crossing a wooded river valley. An elderly VT135 diesel railcar provides the branch passenger service, it is assumed that we have missed the daily freight train! This is an ultra small portable layout measuring just 19x4 inches and is not intended for exhibition use in it's own right, but may form part of a display of micro-layouts.

6. Short Street is a shoebox layout built to OO scale on 9mm gauge track. The narrow gauge train shuttles back and forth between the loading bay on the right and somewhere else out of sight on the left, crossing Short Street bridge as it does so. The layout is host to a "Sam and Ella's Diner" where fast food makes you sick, quick.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Versif

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work Bob. A nice idea allowing you to try out new techniques without too much risk if things go wrong. How big are the trays? I wonder if I could do something in HO on those meal trays that are advertised for those people that watch TV all day? Smile Better than a static diorama. I think you need to write an article for MTI on these Razz
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You heard the man!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, working on it next. Wink

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Versif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to play with some of these today after Bob foolishly left me in charge whilst he went for lunch, Mwahahaha! Lots of fun was had with San Vince de Rey. Unfortunately this demonstrated just how nice USA N stock is, both in terms of operation and in terms of the level of detail. My wallet is probably going to regret this!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking after the stall, and sorry for the temptation. Wink

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, having hooked Versif on American N scale the next addition to the pick and mix micros is something completely different.

The former 15 inch gauge line of the Hayfinch Estate (dismantled late last year) has been reinstated to serve the mining operations on the recently discovered treacle lode in the area. This layout, like its predecessor, is operated manually using puppet strings made of fishing line to pull the loco. The photo below shows progress so far - this is a colour photo, it is the layout that's in black and white.

Inspiration for the monochrome modelling comes from the fact that most old railway pictures were not taken in colour but there could also be some sway from a certain magazine we all know. Wink
Versif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am immune to further temptation. Mainly because I'm spent up Smile Looking very good Bob, I think the black and white concept is very interesting. If you keep this up the next one will have to be in sepia tones!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Versif wrote:
I am immune to further temptation. Mainly because I'm spent up...

The most expensive single item on the layout is the trammer driver, he was less than a tenner. The second most expensive is the lad reading the book, he was less than three quid. The Gnomy coach, part of which forms the battery box on the trammer, was also less than three quid. The rest of it is bits and pieces from my scrapbox, picked up at car boot sales, dug out of the shed or salvaged from skips. How expensive is Gn15? Not very! Wink
Versif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcloud wrote:
Versif wrote:
I am immune to further temptation. Mainly because I'm spent up...

The most expensive single item on the layout is the trammer driver, he was less than a tenner. The second most expensive is the lad reading the book, he was less than three quid. The Gnomy coach, part of which forms the battery box on the trammer, was also less than three quid. The rest of it is bits and pieces from my scrapbox, picked up at car boot sales, dug out of the shed or salvaged from skips. How expensive is Gn15? Not very! Wink

Get thee behind me Satan Laughing Broke I tell ya, broke! Possibly nothing to do with the N gauge extravaganza and everything to do with getting a new Fazer thou. Embarassed Wink Twisted Evil

This could be a serious detriment to my modelling time Laughing Laughing Laughing
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The treatment shed's canopy has been added and another layer of grass on top of the mine has improved the look of things up there.

This is a colour photo, really! Spy plane view below (pre-dates GoogleEarth).
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The delivery wagon and its crew member have been painted and added to the layout. In order to allow other items of stock to be displayed on the approach track from time to time these items of static scenery are not permanently attached to the layout.

I was wondering how to fix the man then noticed while painting him that he has a small magnet in one foot (I have no idea why!). A nail has been inserted in the layout where he stands and the magnet holds him upright and in position. The wagon's wheels have been glued solid so that it does not roll away.

More pictures of the completed layout can be found here.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My O scale micro "Lyddlow" has been getting a rebuild, the layout was originally intended to represent a small goods station but was a bit too small and, as a result, unconvincing. To remedy this I am in the process of converting it into a private sidings scene serving just one customer. It will still retain the same name (Little O if you're wondering) and theme (part of the South Cheshire Light Railway's empire).

The photos show the layout before work commenced (below) and as it looks now (bottom).

There is still some work to do, yard gates, people etc but it is now looking more or less how I intend it to appear. I do have more stock to run on it but I thought it would be interesting to place the same wagons on the sidings for the sake of these comparison images. The light blue doors on the main warehouse are temporary, I'm not sure if I like them or not and may try resizing the downloaded image to make them a bit smaller.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: A diesel interlude at Tai-Fu Reply with quote

The staff at Tai-Fu have been using the railway's Plymouth in the yard today. I caught a few pictures of it from the station side of the bridge as it was shunting. The first picture is a close up of the loco as it pulls into the station to run round a cut of cars on the other side of the bridge.

The usual electric tramcar was not in service today and the company's Fiat mini-railbus was standing in on passenger duties.

After turning on the wye the passenger train was readied for departure while the Plymouth waited on the back road.

Once the day's shunting was done the Plymouth was turned on the wye and backed into the station to pick up train orders before departing light engine.

Finally, just to dispel the myth that 7mm scale modelling takes up a lot of room, here's an aerial view of the area that all this action took place in ...

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Pentrebrac Reply with quote

Not wanting to divert my attentions from other current projects I'll be working fairly slowly on this one at first but I have spent this morning on the new micro layout though. The baseboard framework is now firmly glued and pinned together, the track is laid and the skeleton of the bridge is assembled.

The plan (below) shows the locations of the various buildings. As can be seen this is yet another pointless Shortover Yard type three track layout, the overall size being just 3ft by 1ft including the fiddleyard.

Starting on the platform and working clockwise the structures are: GWR pagoda (1), tool store and outhouse (2), coal office (2), coal bins (3), stables (3), retaining wall (3) and PW shed (4).

Sourced as follows: (1) Second hand from a trader at Sheffield model railway show, (2) Scrapbox/salvaged from a previous layout, (3) Model Railway Buildings and (4) Tom Morse Models, courtesy of Jim Mangels.

The backscene, yet to be chosen, will be by ID Backscenes (click here to see the available range).

Pentrebrac will be an ex GWR station somewhere in mid Wales, the passenger service will be primarily in the form of the AEC railcar though others may appear from time to time. Goods trains may be hauled by either WR or LMR locos. In the photo above a Collett Goods takes a brief rest from shunting the yard, most of which is on the other side of the bridge, while a passenger train stands at the platform. The area between the platform and the baseboard end will be a level crossing with the gates open to road traffic as all trains are terminating at Pentrebrac due to the washed out bridge between here and Trelaura (an idea shamelessly pinched off Andy's Sägewerk Pfeifle).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 1 of 40

Jump to: