FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pick and mix micro layouts.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see this one being the prototype for a competition for layouts-in-containers. Carl Arendt would have been proud of you, Bob Smile
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be a real challenge for some containers. I have a few 'wine cubes' from France, which used to contain 5 litres of wine. Would struggle to get T or Z gauge in them.
Another good feature is that each layout section has a carrying handle.

Bob, for narrow gauge the word 'impossible' does not exist. In tight spaces turntables were used, and I think even a 32mm gauge one would fit.
I like my containers to have some type of 'link' to the theme of the layout, so I would have to work that out. Pity as I could easily use them for my proposed SM32 WW1 mini layout, but then on second thoughts I might have a better idea.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruedetropal wrote:

I like my containers to have some type of 'link' to the theme of the layout, so I would have to work that out. Pity as I could easily use them for my proposed SM32 WW1 mini layout, but then on second thoughts I might have a better idea.

Army surplus ammo case? Might need some explaining if you get stopped by customs crossing the channel! Shocked

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit of work this morning...

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extending the Lochside Estate & Fisheries Light Railway.
http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2016/03/31/bottle-again/

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the money, or open the box?
Laughing

http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2016/04/06/tyne-e-wharf/

giles b

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look at your blog, and the new-look plans for the FCPyF are certainly impressive, Bob. The extra length and reversal should give the feel of a complete railway as well as interesting operation.
As far as the rising and falling 1 in 16 gradients diverging from a junction, we seem to be in Devil's Nose territory Twisted Evil. Shall we be seeing double heading with the smaller locos? The Climax, at least, should be right at home.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller steam locos may have to double head (or have a banker). The smaller diesels I'm not sure about, both seem pretty sure footed and are usually on lightweight passenger trains anyway. The moguls can cope with two Bachmann coaches (or two freight cars and a caboose), but that's always been the standard train formation due to the fiddleyards' length restrictions.

If banking duties become the norm I reckon the VB Sentinel is a good candidate for the job. It runs on a Bachmann Plymouth chassis. A short off stage section between Resurreccion and the foot of the lower incline could be used for adding the helper engine but the upper incline helper would be worked through to the north fiddleyard before returning light engine because the gradient continues, with just a little easing, through Rio Paleta.

The railcars are fine, I wasn't sure how El Ganzo would cope with the vertical curvature due to its three bogies but it takes it in its stride.

I've located the control panel centrally so that a hand in the sky can catch any runaways before they reach the bottom of the inclines! Only had one so far and that was due to bad levelling of the baseboards between Rio and the north fiddleyard causing the mail train to split. This has since been sorted out.

Definitely zigzag sort of scenery but the trains run round (or get a relieving engine) at the intermediate level instead of just reversing, so it's more Chosica than Devil's Nose.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look at your "complete" plan for Jones River Junction, Bob. Seems as if there are several ways to work the Resurrecion - Rio Paleta services.

(1) The train arrives, stops, shunts round the wye (stops again at platform) and departs. [train loco picked up and placed on other end of train on the same traverser track].

(2) the train arrives, stops, runs into the upper side of the wye and loco uncouples; a new engines emerges from loco depot and couples on the end of the train, which then runs through the station and departs. [Train runs onto traverser, loco is uncoupled; traverser is then moved to release the new loco into station track; traverser is then moved to align coaches with new loco which couples on and departs]. This is the method shown in your earlier pictures in your blog.

(3) Before the train arrives a new engine comes off-shed runs through the station and waits on the departure line; the train arrives and its loco uncouples; the second engine then couples onto the train and departs.

Three different ways of accomplishing the turn-around - all with different ways of using the fiddle yard tracks.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option 1 in the above post is the method for railcars.

{apologies - posted something here by accident, so had to put in a message when I deleted the misplaced text)
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operations - I'm reckoning on local trains limited to the upper and lower divisions with just the express passengers running right through. Reversal would be in the station platform by attaching a relieving engine. The fresh loco would be shunted onto the departure route shortly before the through train was due in so that it would be ready to back onto its train as soon as it had arrived.

Scenery - Giles wrote by PM:
Quote:
Don't know what the geology of the Sierra Occulta is like but I wondered about how appropriate a tall spindly stack (or two) might be - shades of Malcolm Furlow! Or else a razor thin length of rock opposite a higher precipice, as if the line had been cut rather than tunnelled. This gives the train a chance to pop in and out of vision without having to have a large enough hole to get one's arm into in case of emergencies.

Exactly what I was reckoning on. But both lines will still tunnel where they meet the modules, to Resurreccion because it has to in order to dip under the upper shelf and to Rio so that I can include the mine module salvaged from the previous incarnation of Jones River.

Further notes - http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2016/06/05/making-mountains/

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see in your blog entries this week-end quite how much vintage Tri-ang is creeping into Sierra Oculta, and how it does not look under-scale on On30. The mountains are fast becoming dramatic and will surely be a tourist attraction, to the benefit of passenger traffic.

Quite by chance I saw a 4mm layout at a show today which used Tri-ang/Hornby UQ signalling. I thought it looked a bit big, but was struck by the way the standard items had been modified. One Home arm had a calling-on arm added below, while a cranked Home signal had a Distant for the opposite direction added on the same post. All this was modelled on an actual station where a relative of the builder had been the signalman, so was presumably accurate. They had also built in "bounce" when the signals dropped to Danger.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Giles.

Re vintage Tri-ang. The signals are close to the controls and I'm considering animating them (fishing line of course). As for the signalbox and water tower as part of the station cluster, a balcony added below the windows suggests that the floor level is lower than it would be for OO, the box is positioned in such a way that it is not possible to see the steps and entrance door so there's no obvious clash of scale there. The tower is raised on a scrap wood base so that it is taller, again not visible from the normal viewing angle. The front of the station is an HO scale "Plasticville" model that I've had for years, originally used on an American layout about 25 years ago actually, it too has a wooden base added then the windows were blocked off and the original doors became the O scale windows, all bodging concealed by rendering with white paint and chinchilla dust. The whole cluster will eventually be rendered to match.

Domestic tourism is not frowned upon by the Marxist regime but not encouraged either. Foreign tourists are viewed with suspicion though. What are they doing here? Sightseeing? Don't they have loft insulation to admire at home? Moreover, how did they find their way to a fictional country? Just because it's marked on a map doesn't mean it's actually there, are they on the same medication that I'm on? Shocked

Nurse, that tourist is eating my happy tablets!

giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
Hi Giles.

Re vintage Tri-ang. The signals are close to the controls and I'm considering animating them (fishing line of course).

Reminds me of my first layout which had Hornby Dublo UQ signals worked by thread from a Mercontrol lever frame. The return to Danger was thanks to a counterweight hanging below the baseboard. Will there be a junction signal where the gradients part company at the junction, I wonder?

The mountains are looking good in the latest pictures, too. Without the scenic division next to it, the station at Rio Paleta suddenly looks much bigger.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention a counterweight, I've been rebuilding the mine today. Instead of having fishing line pulled by hand in both directions I've fitted it with a large lead fishing weight at one end so that the train is pulled out of the adit manually but returned by the weight as the line is released.

A new On18 track has been laid into the mine at a slightly higher level, thus reducing the headroom in the mine to suit the trammer instead of the steeple cab that it was originally built for.

I have also added lead weights to the trammer and tipper wagon so that they track better. The line is attached to the train by a magnet (under the wagon) so that I can swap the tipper wagon and battery loco for another wagon with a man on the end as if pushing it by hand.

As for signalling. The FCPyF uses train orders from the dispatcher and moves within yard/station limits are controlled by staff with flags or hand lamps. The semaphore signals are to protect the junction, and any shunting moves that may be taking place within the station, from incoming trains. Trains cannot leave the station limits without orders in writing from the telegraph operator so no fixed signals are required to control departures.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 39 of 40

Jump to: