FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pick and mix micro layouts.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Burnt Fly Canyon Reply with quote

While the FCPyF is no longer a string of micro layouts and now has its own thread here in the Layouts section I have not abandoned the Pick and mix thread.

Wednesdays are my day off work and I've been feeling lazy today so pottering around in the garage instead of getting more important things done. Taking a break from the big layout, I have been building another bottle diorama.

Unlike the first two this one is On30, part of the FCPyF but not connected to the main layout in any way. Nor is it designed to connect at a later date but that's not to say it won't. You know what I'm like for changing my mind. Rolling Eyes

The new micro is a simple passing siding located in a cramped hillside site between a tunnel mouth and a patch of dense forest.

The scenic area is sandwiched between a pair of fiddlesticks designed primarily for railcar use but short loco hauled trains can (just) be fitted in, as seen in the photo of the Forney with the Corris style open saloon.

It's still work in progress and will take a back seat to the main layout, so that progress may be slow.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That double Gnomy caboose is very effective, Bob, and hard to guess its origin. Wonder what it would look like on wheels? Now it's a trackside depot, I suppose we shall never know.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, will it be beer barrels next time, or will that slow down build time even more whilst you finish the contents Laughing

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Peach Bottom Railway, yes, honestly, it did exist.

You could not make it up!

Anyway, my PBR is a shortline which has adopted the name of the historical railway when it took over operation of routes abandoned by the local class one railroad.

Sand Creek Junction is an urban location where the branch to Sand Creek leaves the PBR main line, a yard is on the other side of the far bridge while the main line and the branch diverge under the bridge nearer to the viewer.

So far I have glued the track down then wired and weathered it prior to ballasting. The retaining walls and bridges are mocked up to give an idea of what the layout will look like.

N scale standard gauge modelling comes as something of a shock to the system after working in On30 and Gn15 for so long!

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been active in this thread for a while because the FCPyF is no longer a microlayout... But I do like them small, so I've started a new FCPyF project, just a small diorama, possibly to be used as a bookend when finished.

https://playingtrains.wordpress.com/esp/

Urban O scale squalor in less than a square foot.

The station building uses another On30 conversion of part of the same HO scale model as used at Centrales (inset).

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the FCPyF has taken over from micros as the centre of my attention that doesn't mean I'm not still rubbergauging.

Hazy Days (above) hasn't seen any serious usage since... Well since a long time ago and a lot of things have happened since then. The little 1:12 scale model has been accumulating dust and cobwebs in the garage and needed a serious kick to get me interested in it again.

That kick came in the form of a few whacks with a lump hammer, it's quite amazing how something that took so long to create can be dismantled in a matter of minutes. All is not lost though, quite the reverse as a Phoenix arises from the ashes.

The new microlayout is a "tuning fork" design so I'll be able to shunt in the yard instead of just pushing wagons to and fro.

Hazy Days was operated using fishing line power but the new layout will rely on my large scale garden shed.

The warehouse and outside loo both survived the hammer and will feature in the new model. Track laying is virtually complete. Part of the front siding has the rails soldered directly onto nails in the baseboard, this track will be buried in the surface of the yard. The last couple of inches of the rear siding (inset) are still missing, I'm considering extending the track through the warehouse door to facilitate loading "inside the building" out of sight.

I was going to call it "Hazy Days MkII" but, as I write this, I'm thinking that "Phoenix Yard" might suit it better. It'll still be a quite corner of a minimum gauge agricultural railway, where the teenagers can continue sharing their packet of ciggies and bottle of cider, but there'll be more room for other little vignettes too.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:

Hum. I've just found this layout again. It was buried under a pile of clean bedding stored on the top bunk in the spare room and surfaced while I was looking for some winter blankets.

Instead of being the Peach Bottom Railway it would work as a "bitsa" station in a German setting, an interest rekindled by the surprise appearance of Sandbach in the latest booklet.

Pfirsich-Boden Bahn? Laughing

I've got a lot more German than US stock in N scale, and providing the knitting required for operating via the OHLE would give much more reliable running then could be had with track contact only as a US diesel layout. Tempting, very tempting indeed, as the weather gets colder and those winter blankets get used.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40
Page 40 of 40

Jump to: