FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reading Signal Works - a prototype-inspired Inglenook micro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloggydog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reading Signal Works - a prototype-inspired Inglenook micro Reply with quote

Doing a bit of a sort post house-move and I rediscovered a bunch of research I'd done on Reading Signal Works, where much of the GWR and BR (WR)s semaphore signals, crossing gates, wooden signalbox components, etc, were made until it's closure in 1984. The extensive site lay immediately to the north side of Reading General station, tucked in between the mainline and station and the old Vastern Road goods yard.

In terms of modelling, the SW corner of the site immediately attracted my attention with it's 2 track 'urban canyon' which I adapted into a 3-siding inglenook, utilising a single slip for the 2nd point, simply because it was available and looked more interesting than a standard point.

The baseboard is an Ikea 110cm x 26cm 'Lack' shelf with a 5mm ply fascia and surround. When not in use, the Lack bracket is screwed up on the modelling room wall to store the layout out of harms way.

Track is Peco code 75, 16.5mm (OO/H0), inlaid into a eva foam/card 'pavement' painted with Humbrol RAF Hemp over a textured grey paint to achieve a decent concrete look. Simple wire-in-tube throws the points from the front face, where there is also a carrying handle for transporting the layout around. In show use, a Tim Horn OO display stand acts as a fiddle-tick and stock storage/display area. Control is usually via my own diy hand-held battery unit, based on a 0.2l Really Useful Box, a cheap PWM unit, dpdt switch and a 6 x AA battery pack (using rechargeable AAs) Use of 16.5 track (I'm usually an EM chap in 4mm) allows triple-use with my US and DR H0 stock

Structures are assorted kit-bashed and scratchbuilt, based loosely on the prototype. Still some scenic work to do to add weeds, grime and the detritus visible in the various photos.

I run the final years of the works, so my loco fleet is limited to a scratchbuilt Ruston 88DS (BR 20/97020) and/or a scratchbuilt Barclay '06' 0-4-0DM (BR 97804) - both scratchbuilt by my friend Clive Mortimore, and a mixed RTR/Kit-built fleet of suitably run-down departmental vans, opens, bolsters and cranes.

The photo which started it all.
250383 97804 (ex 06003) at Reading signal works by Magical Trevor, on Flickr

The layout on it's wall bracket (albeit not at home)
DSC_0014 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

DSC_0015 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

Battery Contoller
DSC_0011 by Alan Monk, on Flickr
I'll add more later, there are some photos of the layout under build showing the trackplan better and some of it displayed as a WIP at maidenhead Club's summer show back in early-June. Wink Wink
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that! Now I've got more to think about?

Interesting to see a Rover SD1 used as a buffer stop?

How long would it last, I wonder? Smile
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, but plugging my own 3D printed inset track, it could look even better.

Interesting looking at photo, as it shows quite a big gap round the point blades,something I have been concerned about on models, but obviously not such a big problem on real railway, unless that car gets its wheels stuck in the gap.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: