FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snape Maltings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bungus The Fogeyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Snape Maltings Reply with quote

As alluded to in my thread for the recent Northampton show, I was taking something new along. Ladles and jellyspoons I gve you

SNAPE MALTINGS

In 4 foot by about 9 inches.....

Why? Well I always thought it may be an interesting place to attempt to model ( the bit on the opposite side of the road to the maltings that is) as it was only a run round loop in effect, and in the end it wasn't even that as the loop was severed at the maltings end.....

The prototype closed in March 1960 due to various reasons- the cost of repairing the timber river bridge just outside Snape, the fact that the J15s that worked the trains needed replacing (the BTC Type 1 was the normal replacement but they were too heavy for the timber bridge! The powers-that-be didn't want diesel shunters on the working which was part of an Ipswich-Saxmundham trip because they would hold everything up on the main line!) and the fact that the only traffic to the maltings, which by the late 50's were becoming somewhat outdated, was coal and coke for the malting ovens.

As I said earlier, I've basically modelled the severed loop section with a couple of proviso's. What if the maltings had been a more progressive operation...... and what if the Eastern Region HAD let shunters loose on the main line.......both feasible. The development of the maltings could have been different with different management and the closure of Yarmouth South Town station would have reduced the traffic on the main line thus giving greater paths for the shunters to shuffle along the main line.......

I'll post up photos and the mode of operation shortly.......

DOMH
Bungus The Fogeyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is how it looked at Northampton..... as you can see it still requires a little bit more work. The backscene needs a bit of beefing up, including a low relief model of the station house just above where the 12ton van is situated and more work needs to be done on the maltings building itself..

Operations-wise, its a simple puzzle. 3 wagons are left on the layout- one on each road and one inside the maltings. The loco propels 2 wagons and a brake van onto the layout. A throw of a dice dictates which wagon goes where (there are 6 different combinations) and its a simple case of swapping the respective wagons over. At the moment the train is propelled in, as per the prototype. The Ipswich- Saxmundham trip served Snape on the return working, which meant leaving the wagons from Saxmundham in the lay-by road at Snape Junction and propelling up the branch. However, when there was no traffic for Saxmundham the train would run loco first up the branch and a chain used to drag the wagons into one siding while the loco ran along the adjacent road...I'll be replicating this at some point. Oh, and no locomotives can run over the road into the maltings..... you need other wagons to act as reach wagons..

DOMH
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! You are capturing the feel of the original well, judging by the pictures that appeared in MTI some while ago.

By the look of it, no room for the goods shed (though the low relief station option is a good idea). Perhaps as you're in a slightly parallel universe, there might be room to "demolish" the goods shed and simply model the foundations - or perhaps substitute a provender store which would not dominate the narrow baseboard so much. After all, an extra traffic source is always useful, however little used it may be; farming could produce some seasonal traffic, after all, so an occasional load of fertilizer inwards, or a wagon-load of vegetables out could be justified.
steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice DT.

Foggy day was it? Very Happy

steve
Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Nice one! You are capturing the feel of the original well, judging by the pictures that appeared in MTI some while ago.

That has refreshed my memory..!! I thought the name sounded familiar, and that distinctive building..!!
Bungus The Fogeyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind comments chaps

Giles- the reason that the goods shed hasn't been modelled is because it was demolished in about 1957 although the goods office remained ( and was still standing in 1998) . On the subject of other traffic, coal for local merchants and a small amount of sugar beet was carried up until the late 50's. In the pictures I've seen its mainly open wagons in use. I've took the line that a certain amount of grain is also railed in, hence Jeff Taylors grain hopper in the photo. I'm sure other agricultural commodities could also be justified........
(waves modellers licence about!!)

BTW which MTI did the article appear in please.

DOMH
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bungus The Fogeyman wrote:
BTW which MTI did the article appear in please.

No 51 which dates back to March/April 2004.

Sorry - I hadn't taken into account you might be modelling the period after the GS was demolished (and I'd forgotten that it had!) Just thought you'd omitted it as it would block the view somewhat.
Janner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that, a lot, it's my kind of layout Very Happy

John Chapman
Broadoak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very nice Dave. Cool

What power are you using?

Peter
Bungus The Fogeyman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a mad panic for Northampton Peter. As its EM gauge I quickly swapped the wheelsets from my blue Bachmann 08 into a ModelRail black one on the Friday night. It seemed to perform ok. Ideally I have a black Bachmann Drewrey 0-6-0 shunter that I want to use but needs regauging.....

DOMH
rudderlesshippy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this a lotÖ Recent trips to that part of the country have sparked an interest in the railways thereabouts and I can heartily recommend the Oakwood Press book for anybody interested in the line.

I had also been wondering about the possibility of using the Metcalfe Models Boilerhouse and Factory Entrance kit to building something 'Snape-esque' (always assuming that a rail vehicle will fit through the archway.)

http://rudderlessrailwayramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Broadoak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Iíve been looking at my Oxford publishing copy of The Stoke Ferry Branch.
Which is another attractive East Anglian branch line with similar traffic to your model.
It says that the Maltings at Stoke Ferry and Whittington received a considerable tonnage of barley by rail and in return despatched sacks of malt to many breweries in East Anglia. ( presumably by van)
Also local farmers were reliant on seed and fertiliser traffic brought in by rail.

A few more reasons for running a few more wagons I think.

Peter
Tappa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice layout Dave - when do I get my grain wagon back then?
Bungus The Fogeyman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff.... I can give you an exact date for the return of your grain wagon. How about April 31st..

DOMH
Tappa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought as much. Tell you what, I'll collect it on my way to Wembley later in the year Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: