FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shapeways 3D Printing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Shapeways 3D Printing Reply with quote

First off let me say that I have no idea how to go about creating your own models for printing. The loco shown here was bought from the listing of models available off the peg (link).

My first impression when I opened the package was of surprise as to how light the loco body is. I then noticed that it has an odd texture, but this is not a problem for me because the effect I wanted was of a heavily weathered loco and the texture does look quite like rust when painted. If you're looking for something a bit more polished in appearance then I would recommend going for the (more expensive) finish options available. As I said though, the texture is no problem at all for me.

I have painted the body using diluted acrylic paints, a very dark grey first followed by matt brown. The paint is actually absorbed by the material, quite alarmingly at first because I'm not used to plastic soaking stuff up! However, this again has worked to my advantage because the dark grey has been lightened by the white of the plastic to give the impression of very old black paint. Before the grey had dried I added a coat of more diluted brown which was again soaked up so that some of the grey shows through and (in my opinion) the resulting finish is perfect for a rusty old loco that is in need of some TLC before bits start flaking off.

Depending upon the size of your computer screen the photos above are probably much larger than life, so the cruel close ups show the model warts and all. The photo below gives a good impression of how much so.

I would like to express my satisfaction with the excellent communications from Shapeways and their rapid turnaround of the order, also the extremely efficient delivery by UPS and of course the initial design of the loco by Tebee, which is a perfect fit on the Kato chassis. Apart from painting, the only work I have done on the loco is removal of the handrail knobs to widen the doorway slightly because this is a 1:55 scale model and I'm working in 1:50 with the Lochside Estate & Fisheries Light Railway.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Shapeways 3D Printing Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
.... the resulting finish is perfect for a rusty old loco that is in need of some TLC before bits start flaking off.

It is a superb 'rusty' finish, although "bits start flaking off" wasn't the phrase that I would've chosen... more like "chunks start falling off"... Razz Razz Razz
If it's a Kato chassis, then I take it that it's a superb runner, too? Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: