FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surgical spirit/rubbing alcohol
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feather River Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan,

You can have a 40+ footer or longer on top of two 20 footers...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=396525&nseq=17

Or even a 45 footer over a 40 footer...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=396263&nseq=26

But yes, a 40 footer over a 20 footer is not clever indeed! Smile
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feather River Bill wrote:
Jordan,

You can have a 40+ footer or longer on top of two 20 footers...

This issue of loading container Stacks is actually quite interesting, as much for what can't be done as what can... Based on watching my DVD collection, I've not seen two 20ft's on top of a 40ft - I assume because the inner ends of the 20's cannot be secured (a 40ft doesn't have Twistlock pockets halfway along it!), but nor have I seen any Twin-stack Car with FOUR 20ft boxes on it...? there must be a reason why, but as far as I can see, 20ft Boxes are always on the Car deck.
of course Stateside there are even longer boxes - 53ft i think. here in the UK & EU, the limit of 45ft is dictated by the permitted length of road Trucks & Trailers.

quite how we got onto Container Stacks from a topic about surgical spirit I don't know!!! Embarassed
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan wrote:
one wonders... whether our UK-built depictions of US Railroads might also look as wrong and unbelievable to our American Brethren.... Embarassed

I notice this sometimes with German outline models. Usually it isn't obvious stuff like wrong line running, more that things are too clean, but often you find thinks like the odd house from the Black Forest on a layout depicting 'east Germany'.

Over here you can get rubbing alcohol in the chemist, which makes me think independent shops will sell it over the counter. The assistant in our village told me "You can drink it, but you'll have one hell of a hangover if you wake up in the morning."

Germans have a rather robust approach to that sort of thing.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jordan one wonders whether our UK-built depictions of US Railroads might also look as wrong and unbelievable to our American Brethren.... Embarassed[/quote]

Surely to make things believable a certain amount of research is necessary - for me this is as enjoyable as building the layout. Yes, almost inevitably some mistakes may creep in and these may be discovered and eliminated over the life of the layout.

At bottom we are trying to enjoy ourselves, so if someone (say) has a layout set in Devon with buildings made of the "wrong" coloured stone or with LNER locomotives running on it, remember what G scale modellers seems to call "rule 8": - "It's my layout and I'll do what I like on it"

Apologies for the thread creep - perhaps we should go elsewhere, if necessary, to continue this discussion.
Cheshire001

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the alcohol...has anyone else seen the Science Club TV programme on BBC1 where they extracted DNA using simple household chemicals? One was Polish vodka rated at 88% proof, only to be bettered a couple of programmes later by vodka at well over 90%! The 88% stuff had the presenter still speaking in a hoarse voice after 20 minutes Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: