FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Atlas O scale SOO Caboose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Atlas O scale SOO Caboose Reply with quote

Okay, lets try this again...
Actually this Caboose has just recently left the workbench!!
It's an old Atlas O-scale one, same vintage as the F7, Plymouth etc, not the newer all whistles&bells superdetail one!
It came from the USA (via eBay & about a tenner all-in!) in C&O Blue. Besides the repaint, glazing, decaling & weathering the only other mods are Kadee #805 couplers & Precision Scale Co wheels replacing the old Atlas steamrollers.
I deliberately left the moulded grab-irons in place as it then seems to fit in better with my Atlas Bobber Caboose & the Plymouths, which I've also left with moulded rails. (pics to follow if I can a) get this one right b) get them in focus!!)
This apparent heresy is because I then don't have the same qualms about letting my 4-year old lad have a go Shocked shunting with them as I would if they were superdetailed & hence more delicate. O scale is proving to be very good for him to get the hang of model railways as opposed to toy trains- he can see the wheels easier for railing the stock than OO/HO, and as has been pointed out in MTI before, the size of them makes a bit of track seem like a lot of railway! Smile
(The preview seems okay for pic. size- something I neglected to try last time! Embarassed )
steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F-Unit

There's an excellent pic of a SOO caboose on page 45 of Kalmbach's "Painting andWeathering Railroad Models" (and on the cover) you might like a look at.

steve
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, yes I've seen the cover of that book, but just in adverts in Model Railroader I think, so not the article itself... I do have the new Atlas Caboose (from another MTI reader!!) which I'm not going to touch at all- I have much more confidence doing things like weathering to older, preferably S/H stuff- probably because if I botch it I don't feel so bad about spoiling a cheap(er!!) model!!!
As is always the case the offer of the new Caboose came up just as I finished the one pictured here, but I couldn't miss it!! It always works like that for me- a few years ago I put forth much time & effort into detailing & repainting/lining out a Lima 45xx Small Prairie... just as I finished it Bachmann brought out their version Rolling Eyes!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: