FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More die-cast destruction
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: More die-cast destruction Reply with quote

I've just bought two Matchbox diesels on Fleabay, the idea being to join them back to back on a Minitrix BoBo chassis for use on the Lochside Estate and Fisheries... Whether this will work or not remains to be seen but if it does the result should look something like this.

The outline will be more along the theme of a miniature railway than minimum gauge but it could represent a second hand loco purchased from an amusement park for use on the estate.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an interesting project. Will you need to raise the cab roof, or just give the cab a low-level floor to provide head-room for the driver? Please keep posting!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure yet how the cab height will work out, I don't want to have to make new windows so I'll try to make it look as if the driver sits low with his feet between the bogies. It'll be on the same sort of underframe as the garden shed so there's room for a footwell.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Matchbox toy shunters arrived in the post earlier.

As these are toys, and therefore meant to be played with, I've had a play.

It still needs a lot of work but I reckon the result will look well as an On18 centrecab for the Lochside Estate & Fisheries Light Railway.

The chassis will be from an N gauge diesel (similar to the one under the "Garden Shed" loco) and I think I can get away with the cab roof being left at the original height providing the driver is seated with a footwell between the bogies.

steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

A couple of questions:

1. What have you used to bond the 2 bodies together?

2. Are they 'mazak" or something similar?

steve
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, yes the body shells are the usual (zinc based?) material found in Matchbox and similar toys.

I tried solder but it didn't work so I've used Bostick, the two shells were butt jointed together with the loco the right way up to ensure that it was all square then allowed to dry before I turned the combined shell over and added thick styrene "fishplates" internally to each cab side and the roof.

I added filler to the roof seam last night and will file this down when it's had a full 24 hours to set solid. The join in the middle of the doors will be left so that it gives the impression of two small doors on each side instead of one larger single door. A large hinged door would not have room to open inwards with the driver on board and a sliding door would be too long to open fully.

The combined shell is slightly longer than the "Garden Shed" loco so I don't think a Minitrix cl27 mechanism will do. I'll compare it with some of my other N gauge stock instead to determine what the donor loco will be. Hopefully a chassis which will fit unaltered can be found so that it can always revert to its original body if needed.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my previous post, a picture showing the inside of the join between the two body shells.

The loco is now on the receiving end of some heavy weathering, this is being done by alternating black magic marker and rust coloured acrylic paint, once the paint has dried fully I'll rub it down with a rag and go over it again with the black, then touch in a few more prominent areas of rust. I still need to find a suitable chassis.

In the backgound of the photo above can be seen a single body shell which has had the back taken off the cab. This will be mounted on a Kato 11-103 as a smaller diesel from the same makers as the centrecab loco.

Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
.... a single body shell which has had the back taken off the cab... ...as a smaller diesel from the same makers as the centrecab loco.

Idea A perfectly reasonable assumption...

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=143525

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1617740

Otherwise known as "Somewhere, there really is a Prototype for Everything".... Cool
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little yellow (and rust) diesel has been mounted on an unpowered chassis (for use with the motorised van). This was the easy option as a motorised chassis under the loco would have taken up part of the cab area and been quite difficult to hide.

Having completed the small Matchbox loco I turned my attention to the pile of debris laughingly referred to as my work bench and picked up the diecast body that I used to experiment with filling wheel aches on. This has been finished off as another railcar for use on the Lochside Estate.

Battered and rusty, as are most of the LE&FLR railcars, but another useful addition to the fleet.

The donor was a bus, and under scale for use as such on the layout, but the front end looks as if it could be from a small car instead so it'll do the job. The mechanism is a Kato 11-103.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the new rail-lorry, Bob. But I do worry about the driver of the little yellow diesel - he's likely to fall off the back if he goes up a steep hill.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for another motorised wagon to push the dummy locos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0G5ry7c2SU Very Happy

Just completed and given a test run, still needs painting and weathering, but that's a job for tomorrow.

alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooohhhh, that IS excellent, Bob.

being an open wagon to boot, the illusion is carried to even greater heights.

What next?

Motorised donkey?
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
What next? Motorised donkey?

Dont tempt him, Alastair - you know what he's like Rolling Eyes
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a project better suited to the 1:12 scale Blackcloud Estate rather than the Lochside Estate.

There's a problem with the restricted loading gauge on the LE&FLR.

Laughing

alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not forgetting the dire effect on the track's ballast?

Those weeds certainly will benefit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: