FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3D printed models of WW1 simplex loco approx 1/35scale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: 3D printed models of WW1 simplex loco approx 1/35scale Reply with quote

Here is a photo of my 3D printed models of WW1 armoured and protected simplex locos in approx 1/35 scale.

Currently designed to fit on Lima diesel shunter chassis which runs good enough for me at the moment. I have ordered a similar sized Tenshodo Spud so will design a baseplate to fit.
Simple wire hook couplings but I might design something more prototypical(but not necessarily that strong)

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interseting models. Not designed for their looks, were they Exclamation Laughing
There seem to be quite a few printed models appearing e.g. 009 ones on eBay. I hadn't realised the printers were generally commercially available yet - or only just - so someone's been quick off the mark.

What are you using for 1/35th scale n.g. track? Looks like Peco Setrack minus alternate sleepers. I've also seen an alternative to this where a slice of square section styrene strip is added to each side of the remaining sleepers (either one in two but possibly one in three). Makes them look quite close to Hudson style trackwork.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles, spot on, just plain OO track with sleepers removed. As most of this module is inset track less obvious, but plain track would be heavily ballasted(?) to cover up. The module used as background is one of my APA box modules and a quarter circle of 2nd radius setrack nicely fits, otherwise I would use Peco O16.5 track. Getting the track to make a circular layout was most important part of project. I plan to use same concept for some more APA box modules.
I use Shapeways online to do printing. Some are critical but the rough finish works OK for me. For more money you can select other materials.
There was a learning curve, but I now tend to get designs accepted first time. Unfortunately I still tend to find areas to improve.
The WW1 Simplex may be an ugly beast, but it defines narrow gauge railways in WW1 for me. Surprisingly there has never been a kit for one in 1/35 or 1/32, which is why I designed one myself. No point do a lot of design work if someone else already has done it. I have designed and printed off some typical cafe chairs and tables in 1/35. There are a couple of small problems which I might sort out if absolutely necessary.
With WW1 commemoration events kicking off next year I hope to be exhibiting various WW1 themed layouts, using these locos.

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruedetropal wrote:
The WW1 Simplex may be an ugly beast, but it defines narrow gauge railways in WW1 for me.

Certainly does; Who minds what it looks like - better than being shot at. Smile
CRACKED

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: - Reply with quote

Regarding narrow gauge track, have you considered using Triang Super 4, or System 3. The rail section is the same height as Peco Streamline 0 gauge, so would probably look okay, especially 1:32. System 3 may be more suitable as it has even wider sleeper spacing. Note Large radius system 3 is the same as 2nd radius setrack. Super 4 and system 6 have identical track geometry. I have NEVER seen any narrow gauge 0/16.5 or larger making use of this triang track even in the late 70's early 80's when very cheap and commonplace secondhand.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

main problem with the old Triang track is that it is heavy weight steel. I find nickel silver so much easier to work with. The sleeper spacing might be OK for narrow gauge but is still just as thin as modern OO track.
I do remember seeing it being used for narrow gauge back in the 70s. Vision of cover and article in Model Railway Constructor.
My first WW1 layout does not use the APA box but an easier transportable 2ft by 3ft layout using Styrofoam. Track is a mixture of Fleishmann(brass) 10in radius and various track. I wanted sharp radius points so have use some old Jouef ones(which are actually steel). All track has alternate sleepers removed, and are then pretty well covered in my homemade mud ballast. Pretty sure the narrow gauge railways during WW1 were not that pristine, unless being used in official filming.
Main disadvantage of the brass and steel track is inability to solder to it so solder to fishplates(Peco not Hornby, which are steel). To improve pickup on points I normally add wires so they are live, continental style. Isolators are then added as required. Depending on point rails to direct power is not reliable enough for me. Partly because my mud ballast gets into the contacts.

Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:

There seem to be quite a few printed models appearing e.g. 009 ones on eBay. ....

A mate of my lad has an 009 Steam bodyshell he showed me; It was quite intricate, but the curve of the boiler was noticeably "incremental" - a series of narrow straight 'strips' rather than a smooth curve. Nothing a bit of sanding couldn't improve, though.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the qualty of 3D printing can vary depending on different factors.
My first curves models suffered from the 'series of straight line' edges because I had not set the design software to a very high setting. Looks OK until it gets printed.
I am not too certain how much control one has, but the model can be printed in effect horizontal or vertical depending of settings made by operator, unless it is again something set in design software.
Then you can chose which quality of material to use and I have noticed some of the smaller finer models default to this option.
For my models find the cheapest material is good enough, especially as I am not trying to model factory fresh unused machines.

Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like those Simplex armoured locomotives. Cool

I think you have done a cracking job of them Simon.

Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruedetropal wrote:
the qualty of 3D printing can vary depending on different factors.

Yes, I note everything you say Simon; I have no idea who actually made the bodyshell I saw or to what standard; I should've been a bit clearer that I was making an observation about the 'curves' more than a criticism, as it's the first time I've ever seen anything 'for real' that's been done by this method. Embarassed
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way curves sides come out is something that never occurred to me and I am a mathematician, and I had to rethink the way I designed models and think like an engineer working on a lathe.
Although I am using the models I still tend to also think of them as rapid prototypes. I enjoy the design process, but if the price is too high once uploaded to Shapeways , I won't print the model, as I could probably make it myself.
It is very easy to get caught up in the processing and assume everything has to be made that way. I prefer to use the best process for each part. I have wondered about doing some models in other scales, but not practical to simply reduce or enlarge as skins then are either too thin or thick. Might go back to earlier stages of design and rescale then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: