FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bachmann 44 tonner (twin motor version)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dudley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Bachmann 44 tonner (twin motor version) Reply with quote

I bought one of these new, this is in the black/red 'Newhaven' livery. Ostensibly to run on a generic British industrial line, at the time they were considered very good, slow runners. It's been run in - the usual 1/2 hr in each direction - but somewhere between running in and fitting Kadees one of the motors has stopped working and I don't know why.

I recently contacted Bachmann to see if they'd repair it but no they said, they no longer carry spares for this model.

If anyone out there can offer words of wisdom as to what I might look at next in terms of a self repair, OR, if you can recommend anyone that would repair it for me please, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in anticipation,
Dudley
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudley - assuming that it is a motor that is duff (have you tried powerein each bogie individually??) you could try on this page - at US$12 it is worth a try http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_68_194&sort=20a&page=2
I rang them a couple of years ago and they were very helpful and quick when I told them that I was ringing from the UK - I had their phone number but appear to have mislaid it

EDIT

Bachmann Customer Service
1400 East Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19124
Fax: 215-744-4699

Bachmann's Service Department is available Monday through Thursday from 8 am to 4 pm, and Friday 8 am to 12 pm (All Times Eastern). Customer Service for all scales can be reached toll free by US and Canadian customers at 800-356-3910. Customers from all other countries should call [Exit Code]-1-215-533-1600.

•Parts: Ext. 328 or 329
•Technical Support: Ext.337
•Repair Status: Ext. 331
•Customer Service Manager: Ext.304
Dudley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your reply Jack. Have spent the last hour tinkering with it but am unable to draw any conclusions as to what the fault might be. Removed from the chassis, the motor alone runs in both directions. The wires from the wheel pickups (- tabs of which also provide power to the motor) to the circuit board on top read fine with a circuit tester. Can also confirm that gear chain and wheels turn okay when motor is removed. Yet when the motor is in situ within bogie gearing/ power tabs etc it refuses to budge. Have also tried flicking the winding manually when it's like this and it will move but not under any power. Most peculiar...

Dudley
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, sounds stupid(?) but is the bogie right way round. Is it just one bogie not working or neither when both wired up. Otherwise might be something on circuit board so could remove that and hard wire both motors together.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Dudley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Simon,
Good point about the bogie - have just checked and yes it's the right way round. It's just one bogie that doesn't work when both wired up. Removing the circuit board and hard wiring the motors isn't something I want to get into really, I think I'll either find A.N.other to repair it or get rid of it.

cheers,
Dudley
Dudley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How Frustrating!
The motor bogie that didn't work now works - the other that did work now doesn't! Both motors spin fine in both directions once out of all mechanisms. I'm convinced that it's a physical fault like the motor not sitting properly within the bogie, but for the life of me and most of the day Evil or Very Mad I have not been able to figure out the problem. The gear trains in both bogies run okay. I feel that somehow the top keeper plate that holds the motor in place has some bearing within the problem; it utilises four screws, one on each corner, and it's these that I've been experimenting with.
Anyone have any thoughts please?
Dudley
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a wiring issue.....both bogies are wired to each other for pickup.
[at least, mine are!]....

do they both run, if current is applied to the wheels of one truck only? [hold the opposite bogie clear of any pickup/track/etc?]

[ie, checking to see if there is a short, or crossed wires, on the circuit board?]
Dudley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one runs if current is applied to the wheels of one truck. It can't be the circuit board as I haven't removed/ changed anything. Maybe it's to do with the contact tabs within each bogie that power the motor?
Dudley

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: 44 tonner fixed Reply with quote

An update for those interested:

A friend who does a lot more OO/HO than I took it off me to have a look at. I received it back last night with the comment that the wisp of smoke was just some 'lube being burnt off'. He cleaned the wheels and realigned one of the motor brushes and reports that it runs fine now.

I wasn't aware that the wheels had been that dirty and had also cleaned the commutators with some liquid lighter fluid.

I'm a happy bunny again

Thanks to all for advice offered & best wishes,
Dudley Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: