FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Portway Terminal US O scale.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan - came across this if you feel the need for inspiration- Elevators up the Ying-yang! Shocked

Try here! ALL of the grain elevators served by BNSF elevators can found here, and most of them have at least one really great photo of each elevator. Click on one of the states to get started.
http://www.bnsf.com/markets/agricultural/elevator/index.html
Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbromage wrote:
... Lima O turnouts are quite tight. Using Peco small radius or Atlas #4 would ease the geometry a bit and allow slightly larger locos, e.g. SW9/1200

D'you mean like this one...? Laughing

Cool Laughing Laughing Wink

Quote:

A suggestion would be to put a mirror at the end of the "main" line in front of the cold storage, giving the illusion that it continues elsewhere.

Now I do like that idea! Idea
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought these might be of interest:

Switching on the Middleton & New Jersey RR

http://www.mnjrhs.org/suess1.jpg

This article is worth reading and has some great pictures of highly modellable scenes

http://www.mnjrhs.org/freight_bills.html
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching the elevator, on the Battenkill RR, a NY shortline

http://www.ginosrailpage.com/battenkill/BKRR3/BKRR3-Pages/Image34.html
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that last link Ken- must be one of the few pics I've seen of an elevator with a covered loading point on the rail side- that arrangement seems more common on the road side, especially at small installations. Prototype for everything!!!
The rest of the shots are nice too- very rural, not something I'd associate with New York State- biased by the name I suppose into thinking 'Big City'- I gather that actually most of that State is like these pics...?
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that lovely SW1200 you’ve got is running on flexi coil trucks so she will be able to stretch her legs on the main line. Well in your imagination if not in reality, seriously she looks a picture.

Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted Broadoak! The Flexicoil trucks are accurate to Prototype, as the #1200 was built as Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern Railway #30, and they specced these trucks as they used their switchers for a lot of road work as well. MN&S was taken over by the Soo in 1982, all it's locos were repainted Soo Red/White by late '83, and sister loco #1204 (ex-MN&S#34) was actually the first Soo loco repainted into Candy Apple Red.

The mid-Eighties is rather later than the early '70s I mostly imagine the Portway to be set in, but an ideal era for Soo interest, when it just about still had a few F-units (albeit in store by '84), took over the Milwaukee Road in '85, and in '87 sold off the short-lived 'Lake States' Division which became Wisconsin Central...

Sorry, *Soo Line Bore Mode* OFF. Embarassed
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to all sorts of other distractions such as Withyn Reach and working on my Soo engines, Portway Terminal has been neglected somewhat recently... but as I put pics of my SW1200 on here last time, here's a couple of pics (from my "Soo Line locos" thread) of it now it's been 'breathed on' a bit...

One thing I like to do is weather just one side of my locos, thus they can represent two eras in their careers; the #1200 is no exception... seen here with my old Atlas Caboose...

Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have to admit I've hardly done anything to this layout (or even run it!) in recent months, it is due to appear in MTI soon, possibly #81...

To which end I did a bit of work on it (blowing dust off it mainly Rolling Eyes Embarassed ) and took a few more pics...

The only feature that's now really finished is Portway Cold Store... (just reading back through this thread, it was March 1st 2008 I posted that this was nearly finished... almost exactly one year ago today! {and a bit...} Embarassed )

It now has 4 loading bays, although the two green ones are meant to be "out of use", having their platforms and in one case the canopy "removed", as they're spaced for two old 40ft Ice Reefers, which are now out-of-date (early '70s), so to handle new 57ft Mechanical reefers the Cold Store has had to put in new docks (red doors) spaced accordingly- which has also entailed 'extending' the 'original' building to add the second dock.

Further along, here's a view of all the Silos, waiting for an Elevator Tower to fill the gap...

However... following posting pictures here before, the general consensus of you Gentlemen was that they are too small for O scale.
Having taken this picture I have to admit you're right. They need replacing with wider, taller structures- probably means less silos, but they'd be more believable. Large plastic soil or drainpipe from B&Q/Wickes etc is a llikely candidate, but WHEN I get around to doing that... don't hold your breath.... Crying or Very sad

Edit Jan 2016. I did rebuild the silos from plastic household guttering. They stood about 3ft high. Again they were never finished, but they did look quite good....

Last edited by Jordan on Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very good too, Jordan - as you know, I like this one a lot!
mog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liking it.. glad you've updated this one.
It's a plan I keep coming back to when considering N or maybe HO versions.

Mogtrains2 at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.com/
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKcRvdN719g66eDzc2iUN1w
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice- the Low relief warehouse is really effective.

Jordan wrote:

The only feature that's now really finished is Portway Cold Store... (just reading back through this thread, it was March 1st 2008 I posted that this was nearly finished... almost exactly one year ago today! {and a bit...} Embarassed )

Glad I'm not the only one who works at this blistering pace...
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently tracklaying on my Ballart Terminal, based on the Ballard Terminal RR and the Rugenshaven plan from Carls Trackmobile contest, stretched slightly. Scenic effects will be completely "experimental", using "Ghost" buildings. When it reaches the point of being "viewable" I will start a new thread.
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korschtal wrote:

Do try and keep up at the back, there... Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan wrote:
Korschtal wrote:

Do try and keep up at the back, there... Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

Razz Razz Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: