FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puerto Paseo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it over a month ago the baseboard was finished? December was not a good month for modelling, and the "bad" baseboard was worked on with only partial success. I've now relegated it to being the fiddle yard where trains will always have an engine attached so any remaining surface irregularities should not impede operation.

Meanwhile the arrival of some cork underlay is awaited. My local DIY stores no longer sell cork tiles so you cannot buy glue for sicking them down either. Anyone with any suggestions, please? I was wondering about using No More Nails but am worried that its wetness might make the cork expand and lie unevenly as it dries, which will probably be rather slowly I suspect. Looks like I may need a lot of weights to press the cork down while the glue dries.

Puerto Paseo has been offered to the WRG show at Arundel in March, so time is not on my side. However, if the cork is delayed next week I can get on with making the buildings now the track plan has been finalised full size on the baseboard.
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used good old fashioned EvoStik for gluing cork down to baseboards, Giles........ok so you need to work in a well-ventilated area and you really only get one shot at positioning the cork in place, but it seems to do the job!

Look forward to seeing the layout at Arundel; I'm taking my H0m tramway pizza so currently trying to get the overhead completed!

Regards,
Simon
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'd thought about Evostick, Simon, with thecaveat about ventilation, but another friend thought there were other practical concerns as well. Also the "instant" effect gives little scope for last minute fiddling to get the right position, as you also point out.

Still no sign of the cork arriving and annoyingly I could have picked some up at the St Albans show, visited today. However I did get the girders needed to make the overall roof for the station, and also some 1 bargain "bits" - including a Dapol water tank for which there will need to be a stone base built to replace its (missing) tubular legs.
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. Albans is always good for picking up bargains, I found some US N scale bits (DPM building, nice CB&Q box car) a book on the Cumberland and Pennsylyvania RR and a whitemetal tram kit........as well as quite a few handy N bits from some of the traders too.
Canterbury this weekend........!
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cork underlay finally arrived on Monday and I found there was an unopened bottle of floor-tile adhesive, suitable for cork, in the shed. The station track-work is now laid, and a start has been made on the dock-yard gateway, so as to check alignment and clearances.

The gap between the centre tracks is the main platform, with a second shorter one to go alongside the right-hand line. Sidings on the left are for sorting wagons. The curve onto the turntable is pretty sharp but only used by 0-4-0 locos and railcars, so should be no problem. It's a Peco N gauge turntable with 00 track, with trimmed sleepers, mounted on the deck; this brings it to the right height for the track mounted on the cork. I removed to original chairs from the deck and have soldered in jumper leads from the top of the sprung contacts to the wider-gauge rails.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
... I found there was an unopened bottle of floor-tile adhesive, suitable for cork, in the shed.

Yeah, the last unopened bottle I found in the shed turned out to be undrinkable too. Unfortunately it was out of date beer and not really sticky enough to use on a layout.

I like the N to O scale conversion on the turntable, using the original electrical connection, and giving a nice short deck suitable for the cramped location.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
out of date beer

Does such a thing exist Rolling Eyes

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:

I like the N to O scale conversion on the turntable, using the original electrical connection, and giving a nice short deck suitable for the cramped location.

It's just long enough to turn the passenger railcar, but not any of the steam locos, which have to run Light Engine to and from San Miguel depot, on the outskirts of town, for turning and servicing.

Got all the wiring in place and tested today. The control panel is a job for next week; as it's planned to operate from the front of the layout, the panel is to be built into the back of the end wall of the back-scene, facing the fiddle yard.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track weathering and ballasting the last couple of days. It's all looking a bit messy at present as I ran out of the fawn ballast I wanted to use and had to finish with a mixture of granite and ash. A bit of a watery light earth coloured wash should pull it all together. I've also finally managed to use some of the Majorcan powdered rock I collected over 30 years ago when I built my Alcudia layout.

Meanwhile I've been trying to see how I can compress this building down to a length of 10 inches, or at least capture something of its flavour..

The centre three doors and windows will go across the platform ends with another two or three at right-angles flanking platform 3. This (in theory) gives the following layout:- Station Master's office, Entrance/Booking Hall, Waiting Room, (corner) Mail/Parcels office, Station Staff, Traffic Office (Telegraph), Train Crew. Upstairs in the main wing is the Station Master's apartment, and the Accounts Dept. Other staff live in the attics above the wing alongside platform 3. The difficulty is that I want to add a canopy that runs the risk of obscuring the upstairs windows unless I can get the canopy height and it's roof angle right. At present the designs are ongoing - nearly there! BTW the original building is the station at Olot on the now closed Olot-Girona n.g. line in Catalonia, southern Spain.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was supposed to be making the back-scene today but got slightly distracted, in part because I was looking for images to use for a collage of buildings to go behind the wall round the station yard. As usual I looked at the CG textures website. If you don't know this one, it's worth a visit as it contains some useful images, being particularly strong on industrial structures from northern Europe, but also having a selection of buildings suitable for France, Spain as well as the Far East; the store fronts for my Java layout came from here, and if you ever want to dress a model shop-window in western fashion there is a huge selection of images. You can find trees in the Nature section.True there are lots of things that are no use for modelling purposes, but even some of these can provide ideas for scratch-building. This is one of the ones I came up with - not sure where it's from, but it looks as if it might be from somewhere hot and sunny.

Anyway, I also made a start on some basic building shapes, which I'll finish off later. at present it's all about getting the proportions of the different structures right. In fact one reason I'm holding off cutting out the back board is that I want to make sure it's going to be higher than the station building. As the design is finalised , the frontage for that looks like tomorrow's task.

Should be ready for some progress shots in a day or two.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a little progress on the scenic side of things and the buildings around the station yard have been taking shape. These are still definitely work-in-progress shots, however.

First off is part of the station building. Having established the proportions of this section I've now drawn up what the side extension alongside platform 3 looks like, and also finalised plans for the overall roof (that is for now a more distant project). What took the time was trying to cut out three sixteen-pane windows and three four-pane + panelling doors and getting them all looking even - plus the fancy window and door stonework surrounds. I've made the windows for the first floor, but cannot make up my mind about the colour. At present the window frames are green and the glazing bars white, but I'm considering going all green.

The next shot shows the water tank , a small office (yard foreman or possibly a shelter for the pointsmen/shunters), while the building in the foreground is a forge for the p.w. dept - this still needs a chimney. All three are either copies of, or based on, the Majorca Railways' architecture.

Finally we have a sentry-box to guard the port's gateway. Like the three buildings in the photo above this hides a point motor, but it hopefully will also draw people's eye away from looking through the gateway into the fiddle yard. The main-line exits on the near-side of the sentry box and will go through a hole in the back-scene; there will be what looks like part of the dockyard wall visible beyond the gate tower and I may arrange some foliage above the hole.

giles b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only had a spare hour today so spent some time trying out some of the background images I'd collected. Out of a total of 17 buildings I've used 14 here, with two more to go behind the buffer stops between the station building and the goods shed.

These 4 are the panorama visible alongside the station, beyond the train-shed, and I've tried to create a scene with about three or maybe four lines of buildings visible. Imagine, please, there's a wall about five or six feet high between the station yard and the town. This wall ends at the far left hand end beyond the dark red house where there will be a roadway entering the baseboard to run through the dockyard gates

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent time yesterday putting the city of Paseo together, much as planned, though in truth I'd never really given much thought to the shape of the city beyond the baseboard.

However it then became apparent that there wasn't much evidence of the supposedly adjacent harbour area. There was a large ornamental gateway, but leading to what? The answer came from looking at the other end of the station where I had not bothered to paint the sky down to baseboard level as there was to be a building in front (and the Matchpot was running low). Old blue paint was showing through and looked like sea. Back to the other end of the layout......a sharp knife and the distant buildings behind the City's food market were removed - thank goodness for using Pritt not UHU - and a sea horizon was painted in. It's subtle, but does, just, make the required point.

To reinforce the seaside feel I think the side extension of the station will be re-designed and be much smaller - in fact the overall roof may even be demolished before even being built. These bits of card and plastic have been put in place to stand in for the station so as to judge the effect. I'll leave them for a couple of days before going further with this idea. If necessary I could also have the sea appear at the end of the tracks between the station and the soon-to-be-built goods shed; however I'm rather fond of the two buildings that would otherwise fill in the back-scene here, so I'll leave that decision until later.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is truly excellent, Giles.......
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Alastair.

Just to get up to date I tried out a few palm trees today and got a roof onto the yard office. Stil need a bit more tree painting to get the fronds pale enough and to tone down the trunks, but what colour are palm trunks? Browny-grey??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: