FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puerto Paseo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
Maybe the lighting rig could be altered to shine gold/blue/dim/bright?

It's a thought, but with the present rig I'd have to add a string of blue lights, at the very least. The white ones do not dim, only flash/chase and do other non-meteorological tricks.

One thing that is emphasised by the night shot is that Paseo has no lights (apart from dummies under the station roof and on the water tank). But if I add them to the platform it can make the space look smaller - the reason that I rarely, if ever, have telegraph poles on a layout.

While I don't see the need to provide any new rolling stock, I do have the possibility of making a three-coach set of modern bogie coaches for a Norte excursion train - which might be useful if I draw up a full Fiesta timetable. The ingredients have been pictured elsewhere in the Workbench section. At Chatham I picked up another matching coach, so now have enough to rebuild them all with doors on both sides of the vehicle. There will then be two more which could potentially be turned out as balcony-ended coaches.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about 8.15am and the Sentinel has shunted the wagons from the docks over to the station yard - but it looks as if the railcar has developed a fault, as it should have left for Arenal fifteen minutes ago. Now it will have to wait for a path until after the next passenger arrival.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...it looks as if the railcar has developed a fault, as it should have left for Arenal fifteen minutes ago.

Or maybe the train crew have overslept after a few bottles of vino collapso in the staff hostel last night? Rolling Eyes

Talking of railcars. I read many years ago, I forget where, about an afternoon railcar working on the County Donegal Railway catching up with the late running morning mixed train. After transferring passengers from the mixed to the railcar the afternoon train then departed first, leaving the morning train to follow at its leisure. That's the lackadaisical kind of operation that really appeals to me about narrow gauge and light railways.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now companies are more concerned about getting the trains to destination on time, and less about the passengers who might have been left behind, and then publicisng how good they are.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The final picture from last week's show - the docks shunter is departing for the port with a couple of empty grain wagons and a loaded wagon.

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having forgotten to re-charge the camera, I only managed two shots at the Beaconsfield show, and for both the colour was so poor that I had to make them monochrome. Although they were taken at different times of the day it so happens that both feature the railcar. However they are both from a slightly different vantage point than has been the case up to now,

Last edited by giles b on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a return to Isla Blanca - here's a busy scene at Puerto Paseo, with the Postal Service rail-motor arriving, towing a saloon coach. Wagons in the yard show a variety of loads, mostly made from odds and ends, although some of the oil drums are commercial models; the others came from short lengths cut from the barrels of a couple of marker pens.

A view of the fiddle yard; the three foreground sidings are for the main line trains, while the two rear lines represent the Paseo docks. Quite a lot of the locomotives appear to be missing, so the station must be rather full of trains, however the wagons in the previous picture have been assembled into a train and have left town bound for the centre of the island.

giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puerto Paseo wakes from its recent slumber next week-end, and will be at the Orpington MRC exhibition on 14/15th January.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show last week-end had its ups and downs - Both hand-held controllers went down and we ended up using one of the fixed controllers; however, as they've been in use since the mid 1990s I can't really complain!. Then the turntable suffered a complete failure when the operating handle came adrift late on on the Saturday. It was discovered that the trestle supports are in the way of the Meccano gears, so re-attachment is impossible unless the whole layout is taken down. On the other hand feed-back about the layout was very positive.

We opted to leave the railcar in position on the turntable and run loco-hauled substitute services. This caused some rather odd trains to be run at times.

Before this happened - the railcar heads back to the station having been turned.

Other shots

At the end of Sunday there were some odds and ends to send back to the yard, resulting in this very unusual formation. A staff special, perhaps?

The next outing is Wycrail in November, so there's plenty of time for remedial work.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the kindness of Ian Bareham I've been sent some widgets made in soft plastic. Ian thought they looked like switchstands for On30 and he's quite right. Five minutes fiddling about produced this experimental version

Many thanks, Ian.
PS they also look quite good in OO, too. (see 1860)
ibareham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the sort of idea I had when I sent Giles the small plastic parts, either switch/turnout stands or jack stands. But I also like Bob heavy duty Colonial style ones which I sorted suggesting came from Ransomes & Rapier, Waterside Works, Ipswich. I bit of fictional history, but also that FCPyF bought on the advice of Ransomes & Rapiers South & Central American Agent a certain G Barnabe who had also suggest Ransomes parts to the Railways of Isla Blanca. Sadly this Waterside Iron Works is is long gone only a single piece of track from Griffin Wharf was to be found encased in concrete, but this was before the latest Flood Protection Work started around that area of River Orwell. If any one else would like some plastic pieces or the other as Bob Blackcloud's Switch Stand blog pm me.

https://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2017/01/21/switch-stands/

Ipswich England
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The history of the railway at Puerto Paseo, and indeed across the rest of the island of Isla Blanca is now available on the Wealden Railway Group's webpage, locared at
http://wealden.weebly.com/puerto-paseo-and-the-railways-of-isla-blanca.html

giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember these?

I bought several a couple of years ago with the thought of making some modern passenger stock for the FC Norte. Only trouble is the coaches only have doors on one side, so if I split them lengthways I'll have two complete coaches. What to do with the door-less sides? One pair will be converted to make a brake/compo for the rake, which leaves another door-less pair. I'm wondering about putting a Piko railbus chassis under the spare pair and giving it one driving end. In reality would such a piece of motive power be capable of hauling another three coaches?

Other options for a Norte loco would be a centre-cab conversion of a Plymouth 6-wheeled diesel or a box-body on the same chassis. All these bits are in stock. The decision will probably be made for me by the platform length at Puerto Paseo. The coaches need to remain in platform 3 all day (Fiesta days only), but if the loco fouls platform 2 it could lurk on the docks branch as there is no goods traffic on Fiesta days.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would involve more cut and shut work but could the coaches be rebuilt with a single, centrally positioned, door on each side?

Kind of a French-ish look to it?

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Moxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Remember these?

I bought several a couple of years ago with the thought of making some modern passenger stock for the FC Norte. Only trouble is the coaches only have doors on one side, so if I split them lengthways I'll have two complete coaches. What to do with the door-less sides? One pair will be converted to make a brake/compo for the rake, which leaves another door-less pair. I'm wondering about putting a Piko railbus chassis under the spare pair and giving it one driving end. In reality would such a piece of motive power be capable of hauling another three coaches?

Add a door in the end of your 'door-less' sides, and a balcony. Would probably need a longer roof too.

HTH

Moxy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: