FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puerto Paseo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those backscenes look better than I expected. Might use some for my 5.5mm scale project.My only worry with home printed prints is lasting quality of the inks. They are better than they used to be, but worried about fading. If that is not an issue now then I could always use photos of my own artwork . Trouble with using backscenes, even ones built up from photos online, is that they can be seen on too many layouts. Pity as I love some of those buildings. Might even produce some artwork based on them.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... the overall roof may even be demolished before even being built.

I think the locals would appreciate some shade from the sun while awaiting their trains and the provision of a trainshed does say something about a station's importance as well.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
Quote:
... the overall roof may even be demolished before even being built.

I think the locals would appreciate some shade from the sun while awaiting their trains and the provision of a trainshed does say something about a station's importance as well.

I certainly won't have time to make the overall roof before the Arundel show, so I'll make a decision later. The materials are all in stock, but I'm not quite sure if a large roof will make the layout look smaller. I'll make a mock-up to see how it might look. The other option is trees down the centre of the island platform, but both this or a roof stops spectators seeing the trains............I'm undecided.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umbrella canopies instead? You may be able to adapt Hornby's (or Dapol's kit) by making the pillars taller.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll stick to an overall roof but make it a bit shorter. I've a roof from a kit for a large bakery (I think) the sort of kit with two skylights and a chimney on the roof (which I'll remove). If I split it in half and add a smoke-vent to the peak I think it might do quite well. I'll just have to work out what the supporting girders should look like (have pictures in books to copy) so as it looks as if it should support itself without collapsing in the first breeze.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of mushrooms.

No, I've not completely lost the plot...

Yet.

giles b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I see. At present I have 4 of those trays - but they contain the layout's rolling stock. Meanwhile at the last show I visited I invested an awful lot in styrene girder mouldings...............all I have to do is to make three or so identical triangular trusses with them.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems with the station building has been that I've taken a prototype which did not have a canopy in front of it, and tried to add one.
In consequence the upper floor's windows were being cut in half by the canopy which looked awful, while moving the canopy away from the wall would mean passengers getting soaked in wet weather. Finally sense has prevailed and I've re-done the end wall by removing the top part above the string course and substituting a blank wall here. Rather than discard a perfectly good set of windows, I've just lost one of them and used the rest of the discarded wall set above a new lower storey as the side wing of the station. This is a little shorter than originally planned and will enable a bit more of the sea to appear between the station and the first back-scene building. Still got the last two doors to glaze and fit. Also visible is the goods loading platform on the extreme left. This will get its own canopy eventually.

As a contrast here's a very rough mock-up of how the canopy might look, although it will sit about half an inch higher. I found some corrugated paper in a local craft shop, which might get used for the roof covering. I've dug a small roof-top louvred housing from the spares box which can go above the buffers and also found an old Hornby flat canopy with a "glass" roof. I might cut this down lengthways and cut it into the roof, one strip on each side - have to see where the supporting girders will go. Even so, it may be better to shade the platforms rather than let the sun in.

Finally the control panel has also had some time spent on it this past week. It is hinged to allow it to open for any repairs or additions. Just needs all the tails connecting to the choc-strip on the baseboard.

giles b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the scenic assembly of the layout is progressing I've become more aware of the importance of Composition in layout building. In the past I've more or less plonked buildings down where they needed to be and, luckily, the scene "worked". Now, with several small buildings at the right hand end of the baseboard and only a low relief frontage at the other it looks a little odd. True, the palm trees help (more tall ones will be ordered to replace those that are a bit too skinny) but the station really does need the overall roof to balance the whole picture.

I don't know, but perhaps it's that one instinctively feels that much of the action at a terminus is beyond the buffers - at a country station its more likely alongside the tracks. As this is my first urban terminus layout I never had to think about this before.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having done a scenic bash over the last two days it's beginning to look like the layout will be presentable for its debut in two week's time.

Broadoak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks pretty good to me.

Peter
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's coming together very nicely. The scene looks a lot deeper than it is with the blend of 3D, low relief and printed flats.

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
The scene looks a lot deeper than it is with the blend of 3D, low relief and printed flats.

It was interesting to see the difference the palm trees have made, as they add a much-needed vertical dimension to the scene. I'll keep the rather small ones in the foreground so as not to mask too much of the layout, but hope to have another 2 or 4 larger ones soon to go in at the back. The other thing that has helped was to get the soil colour right - the original paint was a rather lifeless grey-brown; it's now more earth coloured with tan highlights worked in while the paint was wet, and so has a warmer, more tropical feel. The grass also helps as it links the various small areas of ground cut off from each other by the tracks.

The two ends of the baseboard still need a bit of finishing off - the reason why there's only one photo for now.
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Having done a scenic bash over the last two days it's beginning to look like the layout will be presentable for its debut in two week's time.

Giles you've no idea how encouraging that post is, as I'm waiting for warmer weather (equals a warmer shed where glue & paint might actually dry!!) to get my layout ready for the Trent Valley Show in June....

...still over three months away - why am I worried..???? Rolling Eyes Laughing Wink
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time the Bachmann loco appeared here it was painted in a "collectors'" livery - all blue, silver and wolves. It is now getting to look a bit less like a fairground ride, though it will still take a third coat of maroon paint to cover the old lettering on the tender. The jury is out as to whether the boiler should stay black, or go maroon as well.

This is fast becoming my favourite corner of the layout; the yard foreman and switchman seem to be a bit puzzled by the orders just received from the Traffic Department.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: