FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puerto Paseo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new diesel is wonderful and could well spawn a classmate operating much further south. Cool

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ibareham

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen

The Bonnet of this latest Diesel loco, look very John Fowler (Leeds), later part of the Hunslet group so could be a British Built class of NG Diesels sold world wide.

This is not far from the truth the one of the world 1st Diesel loco was built by Hudswell Clarke a NG 2-6-2 Junin for Chile. I have seen this loco as it preserved at Armley Mill Museum Leeds. I have a few photos of it. I tried to included my photos in this post. Looking at them tired to photo alot of the detail like cab, very open almost steam era, connecting rods.

http://www.leedsengine.info/leeds/histhc.asp

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22064102@N07/6690038767

Ipswich England
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
The new diesel is wonderful and could well spawn a classmate operating much further south. Cool

Thanks, Bob, and why not? If it came from Fowler's (thanks, Ian, for that hint) they could turn another out easily enough. I'd always imagined the FC Norte was supplied by British firms, and wanted to make the diesel look as if it might have been built in the early post WW2 period. Using the Triang model as a base helped, I think. I don't know if their Dock shunter was a copy of something real, but with its rounded bodywork it does also mirror some of the US diesel styling of much the same period.

At the back of my mind was a centre-cab diesel I saw on a preservation line in France - must see if I can find the photos, which are lurking in the loft.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking Ian's comments about the Chilean 2-6-2 into consideration but wanting something not quite so antiquated, because the FCPyF would have been later taking up diesel traction, I have on hand a single dock shunter bonnet (once part of a Gn15 loco) and have just offered it up to a Hornby Jinty style chassis. Two bonnets, back to back, with a slightly shorter cab than Giles's loco would make a rod-connected 6w diesel looking vaguely like an older, narrow gauge, version of this...

The Tri-ang dock loco's rounded body style is, in my opinion, reminiscent of Alco's RS series locos so the FCPyF centre cab would probably date from the early 1940s.

http://www.quartoknows.com/blog/quartodrives/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/05/vintageanddiesellocomotives5.jpg

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ibareham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen

This is the type of John Fowler I mean from the Impetus Class which come from the 1950's, bonnets would be larger for Narrow gauge rather than standard gauge. So guess there the link to early 50's Alco RS-2 or 3. Also found the link to Paxman engine locos around the world.

http://www.paxmanhistory.org.uk/worldrly.htm

Ipswich England
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very close, isn't it, Ian. Doesn't take a great leap of imagination to add a second bonnet and put it on a bogie chassis. Even the cab is pretty close. Thanks for posting.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did somebody mention an odd looking vintage 2-4-2 Latin American diesel loco?

Laughing

http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2017/10/25/wednesday-whimsy/

giles b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the warning horn on your conversion, Bob, reminds me to re-fit the two horns on my diesel, before they get knocked off the work-bench and are never seen again.

Regarding the general look of the loco, I've posted a picture that I remember taking some time ago, on my "Just 'cos I like it" thread. Turns out it's pretty close to what I've modelled - more by luck than planning, I have to admit.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to get the layout out today, as I'm altering the way it's supported - out go the wobbly trestles and in come the T-stands used on Shellsea and 1860; much steadier. Looking at the badges on the layout I see it will be fifteen months since the last outing, when it goes to the Crawley show next month.

While I was about it I put the diesel on the track to see if it fits the stub siding off the turntable. Turns out it's too long. Looks like it will have to lurk down the harbour branch for the day, as the Fiesta special is booked to arrive at 1030 and doesn't depart until around 6pm. However, before that can become reality I see that there are some missing Kadees to be fitted.

Never a dull moment, is there Smile
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had time today to get the layout set up for testing. The only "fault" was that the polarity seemed to be the other way than was expected. I'm now using a different controller, so perhaps the old one's plug had the track connections wired the other way round. Anyway, only a few minutes work and the trains now run in the same direction as the direction switch on the hand-held throttle.

All the locos worked, without having to clean the track, but the new diesel stopped running rather suddenly, so the excursion will have to be steam powered, as I won't have time to look at it before the show.

Must say, I'm looking forward to operating the layout again. The engines have real heft and run well, even the basic Hornby 0-4-0 conversion, although it does have a slight problem on the wye at the station throat. It will get across, but not at a very slow shunting speed. I've eased the back-to-backs slightly and think it's helped, but the underlying cause is that the coupled wheelbase (and thus the pick-ups) are set at about the same distance apart as the isolating bits around the frog of the points. As length for shunting is tight, adding a shunter's runner with extra pick-ups would rather impede the shunting moves.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a sliding contact, either between or outboard of the wheels, help? I find that the two Fleischmann Magic Train locos used on the FCPyF are much better runners than other items of four wheeled motive power. They both have sprung plungers between the wheels acting as additional pick ups but it doesn't have to be that professional, a thin brass strip or even stiff wire would do the job. The only delicate bit would bending it to get enough pressure on the rails to make electrical contact without impairing the tracking of the loco.

giles b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a thought, Bob. I'll try and have another look at the problem over the show week-end and see if I can work out a way of doing what you suggest. As the loco has side skirts, any sliding contacts (and probable bodged installation) would be hidden. Smile
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from the Crawley show where the first day went well, but the Sunday was fraught with minor faults, including the loss of a coupler knuckle spring on the Port Authority loco. As a result one of the Este tanks had to be loaned to cover the harbour branch duties, and the stand-by Este loco brought out for passenger service. Then in the afternoon the Bachmann Mogul suddenly packed up. I will not have time to examine this for a couple of weeks, and hope it can be rescued. Despite this my guest operators enjoyed themselves and the layout went down well with the public.

However, I have decided not to accept any more bookings and will retire the layout once its present commitments have been met. The baseboard, and the amount of ancillary bits and pieces make it rather an awkward layout to move around, and the baseboard seems to be getting heavier the older I get!

I'll post some pictures in a few days - most of the ones I took at the show seem to feature the station pilot, but one is a rare double-header.........
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken at the Crawley show....the first two shots shows the station pilot shunting coaches.

Having collected the parcel van and brake from the sidings, the van has been left for loading at platform 3, while the brake has been added to the train ready for departure, while the loco has returned to wait in the sidings for its next duty.

Later the Sentinel is seen setting out the ore cars on platform 3, so the docks shunter can collect them. The caboose will be shunted into the sidings beside platform 1, leaving the 0-4-0 Minerals engine to return to Paseo San Juan for servicing ready for its return run with the empties.

The new Norte coaches were used, but proved rather stiff and heavy - a little oil is indicated. This resulted in the excuse that the train was heavily loaded for its homeward trip and double-heading had to be resorted to. This may have been the first time this has happened. This was the result of the normal passenger engine having been cascaded to fill the duties of the dock shunter which had suffered from a coupler malfunction.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Norte train looks pretty neat in LNER tourist colours... With apple green motive power too! Did a certain Mr Gresley used to holiday in the Puerto Paseo area? Laughing

Which reminds me, I have two of those coaches partially reworked as balcony stock and then forgotten about as other projects took priority. Must dig them out once I've finished the current loco conversions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: