FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retro modelling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Simon Hargraves wrote:
The buzz from the controller takes me back to H&M Clipper days........

They never went away, Simon........mine powered the Cattewater & Southern and provided 16vAC for other layouts before and since...

I have a Duette.... second one in fact as I had one early on in my time in the hobby - a double track train set & moving two trains at once, it seemed so cutting edge at the time Laughing my current loft layout is a double track oval & I can move two trains at once - progress, eh..? Embarassed
I can't remember when the first Duette went, but I got my second not many years back for my lad's interests; it currently powers his N scale layout.... well one half of it does, anyway.... Wink

I'm enjoying watching this nostalgia trip! Smile
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more nostalgia for those of a certain age. Having grown up alongside the Glossop line I have a soft spot for elderly electric units. Even though the Tri-ang Southern EMU is nothing like a 506 it still fits in to the categories of elderly, electric and unit.

I dug this one out this morning intending to borrow its motor bogie as a temporary replacement for the one in the Blue Pullman (which has some bits missing) but I reckon the EMU looks quite good on the branch, a dummy third rail would make it look even better. The Pullman can wait a while until I can source the spare parts required to get it in running order.

When all three are working we will be able to operate the layout exclusively with vintage toy multiple units, the Blue Pullman and DMU on the main lines and the EMU on the branch... Who says the modern (almost entirely multiple unit) passenger railway is cutting edge? You could do it with Tri-ang back in the 1960s!

Giles, regarding foam ballast, I think the stuff I used was by Peco and designed for their flexible track but it could be stretched and poked to fit with System 6. Cutting and fitting bits together for the points was more of a challenge and probably what eventually put me off in favour of gluing down loose ballast instead.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes..............I do have a soft spot for those old Triang SR emus, despite the modelling compromises they contain. They really remind me of travelling on the ex-LSWR suburban lines during my childhood.

The V headcode was used on my local route, the Kingston roundabout (Waterloo-Kingston-Waterloo) In one direction (can't recall if clockwise or anti) a bar was used above the letter. Waterloo to Strawberry Hill depot was a V upside down, while a P upside down (d?) was Waterloo to Kingston via Richmond. S was used for Shepperton trains. The letters were used elsewhere on the system where services did not overlap on the same route.
I seem to recall the letters were on large stencils cut out from sheet metal and I think were kept near the buffers at Waterloo near the tables set up to trim the wicks and refill the old oil-fuelled rear lamps. The area reeked of paraffin as one walked past.

Once the newer trains arrived they had roller blinds showing numbers for the different routes which gave much more variety.
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Pullman, DMU & EMU.....

What strikes me about that list is that, apart from a few DMUs (Lima 117, Hornby 110 offhand) it's only very recently that these trains have been available as R-T-R models again..... Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly that's because first generation multiple units were always ignored in favour of loco hauled trains until we suddenly realised that they had all gone from the real railway and got nostalgic over them?

I certainly feel that the old "parafin burners" had a lot more character to them than the stuff that is inflicted upon passengers now, even if a lot of that character was actually the noise of them rattling themselves to pieces! I doubt that even their demise would make me feel nostalgic about the crap trains that are running on today's railway though.

Talking of DMUs, I've been fiddling with some more of the Super 4 track and some spare baseboards in the garage this morning. There may be a very simple OO end to end in the offing. Just a single track winding through countryside in an S or U shape, possibly with a small halt to relieve the boredom. I need to see if I can get the spare boards to match the height of my modular fiddleyards before anything else is done with this idea. These fiddleyards were built to take a loco and two coaches in On30 so are just long enough to take a 3 car train in OO, hence the mention of DMUs at the start of this paragraph.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priceless Princesses, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6l2uT5ZVqM.

Full story http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2013/11/28/priceless/.

Playing Trains my blog says. Playing trains is what I'm doing.

Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good stuff, Bob!
I never had a "Princess" but was lucky enough to have a "Brittania", M7 and H-D Deltic. My Blue Pullman had yellow ends, but I only had one centre car for it (which came in the set).
This is bringing back a lot of memories.....
Regards,
Simon
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing to see those old locos still able to do what they were designed for - racing round a table-top circuit. Those old motors (XO3, were they??) were like the cars of the same period, easy to understand once you opened them up for inspection, lubrication or cleaning, unlike model trains today - or cars for that matter.

Lucky you could find enough track to make up a decent layout to go with the old-standard wheels. Almost makes me feel guilty for the way I'm altering my Transcontinental models.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Lucky you could find enough track to make up a decent layout to go with the old-standard wheels.

There's a lot more still in boxes under the table, mainly long straights but there's also a circle of third radius (the loops on the baseboard use first and second), but only a few sets of points.

While wiring up the second siding this morning it clicked what is an easier way to connect the wires. Instead of wrapping and soldering at the fishplated joins I made a saw cut in the head of the rail and twisted the wire tightly round the rail before soldering it. The solder took relatively easily to the freshly exposed cut steel. I'll use this method when adding additional feed wires to the layout (belt and braces with built in redundancy) before starting ballasting.

The layout now has a safety fence all the way round to prevent any derailed trains from diving to the floor and I've extended the station on the back straight with a second platform attached to the edge of the baseboard.

Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're making a lot more progress than me with my lad's N Gauge layout, Bob - that is still 'bare boards', but we- I mean he now has a few more wagons and has run trains several times. Very Happy
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Almost makes me feel guilty for the way I'm altering my Transcontinental models.

I was tempted, but only very briefly, to use this tender for an On30 conversion but I couldn't do it. It just has to be run with its original loco. Click and enjoy!

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same chassis as a Princess, Bob? But it looks bigger (longer) somehow. not including the tender. If you were to need another tender for On30, they do come up on eBay relatively often, but they are sometimes a bit bent with age.

Running with British Pullman cars - sort of like King George V's visit to the USA, but the other way round!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have noticed the banana shape prevalent in shorty coaches also seems to affect the Transcontinental tenders! There was just the loco body and the tender in Andy's collection but I have put the chassis from one of the Princesses under the Hiawatha for now. Might keep an eye out for another reasonably priced Princess chassis at shows though, because she does look good on the Pullmans.

She's the same length but huge cab and the high mounted boiler make the loco look a lot bigger.

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1958 I was very tempted to choose Triang Transcontinental for my first venture beyond Hornby clockwork trains - possible having read about the Marlboro Lines layout in Model Railway News. Always had a soft spot for the TC tank engine. Was that based on a Canadian prototype (as I believe the Pacific loco was) or had it Indian railways parentage. I wonder?
CRACKED

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC correctly the Baltic tank was based on either a South African Railways or a New Zealand prototype. It was quite a generic type.

There were a couple of subtle differences for the Hiawatha chassis compared to the standard Princess.

Early versions had no front coupler, as the cowcatcher was moulded with the body. Later versions had a metal cowcatcher on the bogie, I think this was also used on the Baltic tank. At some stage (not sure exactly when) a working headlight was added requiring a bulb mounting. Here are a couple of photographs of my not very mint examples, which illustrate these.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: