FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retro modelling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just won an old Tri-ang Princess on fleabay. No tender, which kept the price down nicely, but I only want it for the chassis so that the mechanism under my Hiawatha can be returned to its original loco and we'll have three operational pacifics for Charlie's railway. Meanwhile, another foreigner was seen on the layout last night. Not Tri-ang but these blue box Athearns are also classic toy trains and it is stunning how superior they are to contemporary British models.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnh04LILftE
Flywheel drive means there is no hesitation on the frogs and the incredible weight of the powered unit means there's hardly any problems at all with the gradients created by a sloping garage floor.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong? I don't know........those old Athearn trains have a very similar "vibe" to the Tri-ang stuff, albeit with much better mechanisms etc.

The F-unit and matching coaches certainly makes an impressive train on Charlie's layout........looked like clearances were only just enough though!

Yellow F-units and coaches.....Union Pacific......more childhood memories for me although on a much smaller scale as I had a couple of F-units and one or two coaches from Lone Star in 000.

I also had a Marx(?) tinplate UP caboose in 0 gauge which lingered on for a long time after most of my childhood stuff had gone......shame I don't know where it is now.

I still have a soft spot for the UP yellow forty years later, although I have never modelled it.

The childhood thing has led to something though....among the Lone Star stuff I had was a blue(!) New Haven box car......ok so I found that the New Haven wasn't the Newhaven just along the coast but the real railroad is fascinating, so much so that I have been collecting models and books for about 15 years and now have enough to start a layout......in N rather than 000, though perhaps a re-trucked Lone Star boxcar might make an appearance!

Thanks again bob, I am really enjoying this!
Simon
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly enough the bird grit ballast has made the layout a bit quieter. It seems to deaden the sound compared to what it was like when running on bare plywood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Fe1ekEqXQ

Still working on the "grass". The wood shavings have got pretty much the texture I was looking for but it's still not quite right in a few places.

One thing I will say for all this retro modelling, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying scenic materials from a model shop. Less than 2's worth of bird grit has ballasted the entire layout with plenty left over and I've hardly made a dint in the 3.50 pack of wood shavings.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
these blue box Athearns are also classic toy trains and it is stunning how superior they are to contemporary British models.

..... which was precisely the reason some of us got into US-outline, along with the fact Athearn were a lot cheaper than UK stuff too, & of course the really BAD influence of one Mr C. Ellis esq, & his revelations in Model Trains magazine that US Railroads were not all multi-engine, mile-long freights, & introducing us (well, me for one anyway) to the wonderful world of Short Lines..... Laughing Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: