FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current Hornby EMU motor bogie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Current Hornby EMU motor bogie Reply with quote

The current Hornby EMU motor bogie can be bought as a spare at reasonable price. Good as it is I am wondering if it could easily be re-wheeled , as the gears look like they slide onto the axle. Would want to fit 20mm diameter wheels. I suspect the axle might be thinner than usually found in loco wheels such as Romfords.
Looking for a suitable motor bogie for French WW1 bogie Crochat loco , modelling in 1/35 scale.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of the Hornby 3BIL bogies. Apart from having to connect up pickups to motor, a nice model. Obviously can not be used for Crochet, but a good alternative(technically better) than the old Lima motor bogie.
I checked the Crochet drawings and to be dead on scale it would need 21mm diameter wheels. It is possible to get(at a price) motor bogies with wheels up to 19mm diameter.
I had an idea, wondering what the wheelbase on the bog standard Hornby 040 shunter was, and its pretty close. I then thought I could replace wheels(not impossible), and then measured the wheel diameter which is about 16mm. Obviously too small, but not that noticeable under the Crochet bogie.
Apart from the wheel size being wrong it is only single axle drive, so I will use 2 powered units. Cheap and cheerful. If I have a problem with a motor it is easy to replace(One thing Christopher Payne mentioned whilst at RAMMA, France, recently)

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: