FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Copying the 'Warren Branch'... at last!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Copying the 'Warren Branch'... at last!!! Reply with quote

We've discussed recently on MTi Chris Ellis's classic N scale layout the Warren Branch, serialised in Model Trains Jan - Sept 1980.

It's one of those layouts I've always had at the back of my mind as a "copy one day" sort of thing, but never got around to.
Well my lad's recent expressed interest in N Scale has been the kick-start needed, and so, 33 years on, here's my take on the old classic....

The board is just traditional 6mm MDF on 2x1 softwood framework. You'll note it fits neatly on, and is far more useful than, a small snooker table... Laughing
We've stretched the size from 3ft x 2ft to 4ft x 2ft, to give a bit more length to the loop and sidings, and omitted one short siding in one corner. It's taken a bit of Ebay-ing to get all the track, but we've used Fleischmann Piccolo as per the original, also because I loathe ballasting in general, and it'd never get done in N scale!!
Tunnel mouths in rough locations; a hill will divide the two halves, leading down to a stream/river, cut-out ready in the baseboard bottom left.

This will be the site of the 'main' station - this is a UK-outline layout. I also plan to put a platform on the 'Interchange track' (long siding far right on first picture) to emphasise the 'point-to-point' nature of operations, even if the plan looks like a roundy-roundy.

On the other side will be a Goods Yard, reached by pushing trains around from the main Station.
The setting will be Forest of Dean-ish, transition-era BR steam & diesel. As that Era is beyond even my memory, goodness only knows where my lad's got that interest from Shocked So much for the "We model what we Remember" Theory!!! Rolling Eyes Laughing Razz

Well updates may be few'n'far between depending on progress, but as a "Dad & Son" project I think we're on to a winner. Idea

All comments welcome!!
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The goods yard side could be fairly generic, likewise wooded scenery, so why not make the British station with its raised platforms on a separate sub-base which could be swapped for another sub-base with an identical footprint but holding an American style passenger/freight depot?

Best of both worlds then. UK for B Unit and US for yourself. I suspect that the US version will end up getting more usage, not least for the superior quality of American over British themed N scale models but also for the added interest given by the greater variety of freight traffic and stock.

I don't still have the original magazines but, from distant memory, wasn't the original Warren Branch passenger service operated by an F Unit and a C&NW bi-level push pull car? Now there alone is good enough reason for multimoding.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could certainly be multi-moded with a bit of effort; I most likely won't do that though for several reasons - firstly it is really my lad's layout & we'll do what he wants with it as much as possible; second he has told me he's not all that keen on American trains really; and thirdly I really don't want to go back to N Scale for myself - we even had to buy one of those plastic "railing ramps" that puts the N Scale stock on the tracks - not for him, but for me!!! Shocked Rolling Eyes Embarassed
Yes Chris's passenger Ops were a CNW "Scoot" Push-pull set, but my lad has his eye on the Dapol 14xx & Autotrailer which is the UK equivalent - they were probably running at the same time as each other in reality as well..!! Razz
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking good, Jordan.
The Fleischmann track looks fine as long as you stick with it.....a long while ago (25 years......!) i tried mixing a 3-way Piccolo point with Peco......it just didn't work visually and wasn't much good operationally either!
Really pleased to hear that your son is so enthusiastic and it is great that you are there to help and encourage him.
I really like this style of layout, you can get a lot of operation in a fairly small space.......just goes to show that with a bit of imagination a seemingly simple oval can be much, much more than a train set.
BR(W) in Dean is a great choice......a bit different and a wide variety of traffic.
Although my N-gauge violin case layout (in MTI 108) is not directly based on Dean, it is certainly inspired by it......
Will watch with interest,
Regards,
Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: