FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to swivel a small sector plate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: How to swivel a small sector plate Reply with quote

If i were to use the (handy) left over lump of pink loft foam insulation board that i just happen to have laying around - i'd like to use a small sector plate and looking at the SFE Railway by the great Carl Arent, i see that he did it on a piece of the same (similar?) material. But i cant work out how or what he used to make it pivot. I've not tried yet it it would seem to me that if i were to glue rails direct onto a thin piece of card, using a pin/nail etc to make it pivot would mean pushing it into the foam but i cant see how this will be secure enough to work?

Any help gladly received

Roger

Very Happy

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experimenting with a chopped-about DVD in its chopped-about case....
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a stereo plug and socket? Wire the socket up for feed and return, fix it into the foam running the wires through holes then fit the plug into whatever you're using for the sector plate itself, wire from plug to track....
This means the sector plate is easily removeable if need be and there is no need for dangly bits of wire.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon's solution sounds good, but I think it might be wise to fix the socket into a piece of wood ?ply/mdf (hard to be exact without seeing the plug and socket). The wood can then be sunk into the foam surface and glued in place - make sure it's level - this should give a much more rigid base on which to pivot.
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking! Sector plate now in place and moving nicely between the 3 sidings. I added some small bits of lead to the end and it works well. Very Happy

Now constructing the building and sand/gravel loading chute. I think i'll clad my buildings in good olde corrugated "iron". My favorite choice of material. I purchased a couple of Gn15 - ish plastic sheets from Back2Bay6 a while back.

Trying to remember the rough size corrugated sheets come in - in real life?!

Roger

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the real dimensions for sure, but on past models I've opted for about 6ft by 2ft 6ins, which seems to look "right". Given the wriggles are 3ins wide that's 10 wriggles per sheet, overlapped by one or perhaps two wriggles, giving a visible sheet width of 2ft/2ft 3ins. Does this sound reasonable???
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta Giles - i'll get me olde 1/24th scale ruler converter doodah and cut out a piece to that dimension - see how it looks.

I have enjoyed pootling about with this micro - if I can end up with something that looks half as good as the SFE Railway of Carl's i'll be very happy. Smile

Cheers

Roger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: