FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTI # 110
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: MTI # 110 Reply with quote

All UK issues went out Wednesday
Carbonel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and arrived this morning! Huzzah! But where were the normal pre-issue anticipatory jottings and droolings? Are we all hibernating this year?
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbonel wrote:
...and arrived this morning! Huzzah! But where were the normal pre-issue anticipatory jottings and droolings? Are we all hibernating this year?

Steve must be ill... Shocked or still recovering from crimbo... Razz

Got my MTI today. Wink
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the article "Down The Mousehole" with great interest, not that I want to build another US HO (or N) layout at the moment but it's always fun to mull over ideas. The track plan on page 41 left me wondering why the isolated track has been left as a dummy. With the approaches from the right sandwiched between a pair of tall buildings it would be a simple matter to include a hidden sector plate or cassette instead of the fiddlestick in the plan. If needs be a covered walkway between the buildings would help to hide the off stage arrangements.

Also, on the matter of it being a brick canyon, I'd make it without any backscenes but with low relief or scenic flat buildings both sides. Low level photos could still be got between the buildings and the layout could be operated/watched from either side for variety. A plain sky background on a lightweight board could be attached (velcro or magnets) behind the buildings on whichever side is opposite the viewer.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other things on my mind but I did think it was about due.

Mine's not here yet though Sad

steve
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy yes lovely surprise! Forgot it was due.. Embarassed Embarassed

Only read 2 pages so far and resisted flicking thru..

Cheers
Roger

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived this morning just in time for my birthday. Good timing!

Looks like lots of interesting reading. Liked reading about Derek Ashcroft's layouts built since the 1960s. Lots there to recall including the station designs by Alex Bowie and station buildings made out of Airfix (now Dapol) church kits. The description of the articulated coach set was one I hadn't come across before. A genuinely nostalgic look back to a time when one had to kit-bash what was available to get what you wanted.

Last edited by giles b on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how ideas are sparked - Giles' Inglenook version of Findhorn, flipped and mirrored, with different industries and the curved track (seawall) used for Davis warehouse and with added road crossings, would make an interesting "mousehole" layout - see Scrapbooks 82a and 92a for inspiration also - thunking on!
steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived yesterday.

I was a bit taken aback by the price of the Hornby USA Tank. I recently bought one of the Bachy Porter 0-6-0s, with DCC onboard as standard, for $79.99 direct from the States.

An equivalent loco at a much better price!

steve
cms_inv_2001

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Blackcloud Railways"]"I read the article "Down The Mousehole" with great interest, not that I want to build another US HO (or N) layout at the moment but it's always fun to mull over ideas. The track plan on page 41 left me wondering why the isolated track has been left as a dummy. With the approaches from the right sandwiched between a pair of tall buildings it would be a simple matter to include a hidden sector plate or cassette instead of the fiddlestick in the plan. If needs be a covered walkway between the buildings would help to hide the off stage arrangements."

I thought so too, and wondered if it would have been possible to also add a set of points as a "kickback" onto the dummy track and with the sector plate giving access to either road and swapping the double slip for a crossing. Reminds me of Michael Tylick's O scale Poineer Valley layout from MR in the 90's.

Colin
jpachl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Editorial Reply with quote

In the editorial, Chris Ellis points out an interesting statement:

"... there is a lot of favour of the older line of approach when equipment was in much shorter supply and it was far more necessary to husband ressources."

I completely agree and think this is the reason why there are still people interested in scales outside the mass market like British H0 (see p. 52) and American TT. A shorter supply of models also often generates more creativity among modellers to make something unique. Small layouts and micro layouts are the perfect way to work in such niche areas.

Joern
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Editorial Reply with quote

jpachl wrote:
A shorter supply of models also often generates more creativity among modellers to make something unique.

As so often seen with narrow gauge modellers, especially in oddball scales such as Gn15 and O9. Cool

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......or those who use obsolete models that are not collectable, that nobody else wants - and so are cheap Smile
ibareham

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack My 1st copy of MTI 110 has arrived today with a Feb post mark must have got lost in the mail system

Ipswich England
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian - pass it on to somebody who might be tempted!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: