FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kadee uncoupler query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Kadee uncoupler query Reply with quote

I'm using the left-over between-the-rails uncouplers from Lazy River on Puerto Paseo and am finding them hard to set up to allow Hornby locos to pass through without sometimes fouling on the back-to-backs; there were no problems with US manufactured wheel-sets.

Has anyone ever tried to grind the uncouplers a little thinner and (a) is this possible? (b) does it affect the uncoupling function?

I know one can cut down the under-track magnets, but they are made a of a softer material I think. I'm hoping to use a Dremel with the cut-off wheel fitted.
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to shorten (as opposed to 'narrow') Kadee 'between track' magnets once; they seem to be a rather brittle substance & quite likely to shatter. I used a razor saw I think, & it took ages to cut a groove in the magnet, then 'snap' it, as the kadee guidelines suggested.
I 've no idea how a Dremel & cutting disc would go.... personally I'd be more tempted to adjust the Hornby back-to-backs, as they are most likely to be wrong anyway..!!! Rolling Eyes Laughing
CRACKED

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other option is to place the uncoupling magnets under the track. The electromagnets work well, and there are more powerful permanent magnets now available.

On another issue. What is the best method of manually uncoupling. On our club layout we can not get the delayed coupling method to work reliably, due to a combination of track (the mdf distorted slightly), and stock (scratch and kit built). At slow speeds they couple, and when higher speeds are tried they end up hitting the bumpers and derailing.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thin kebab stick with sharp point (possible a slightly flattened tip - experiment if needed). Push point gently into couplings and twist slightly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: